New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2015, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by thrashaero
anti-wind activist
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Dec 2002
478 Posts
Discussion
A durable/protective yet light clear coat safe for foam?

I've got several micros I would like to cover in a clear coat. (parkzone cessna centurion/citabria, snap and fly, etc)

I had a can of minwax polycrylic clear gloss spray, but apparently sitting in storage for a while has caused it to gum up and shoot out in clumps. I was trying to test on an old peice of foam but it's just not really working.
I'm not sure if this type is good for the job anyway, given I was trying to test it.

I was wanting to make sure it doesn't dissolve the foam, like I just did with some white liquid electrical tape thinking it would fill a gap, only to make it bigger. Before I go buy another can does anybody know if what I had is good for the job or if there are better options?

I want it to be light too and have it basically there to keep the foam from getting dents and scratches so easily, as well as a nice shiny finish would be cool, or would it be a waste of time?
thrashaero is offline Find More Posts by thrashaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by Pile It
Joined Feb 2014
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashaero View Post
I want it to be light too and have it basically there to keep the foam from getting dents and scratches so easily, as well as a nice shiny finish would be cool, or would it be a waste of time?
Generally any added surface coat which is structurally strong enough to protect EP/EPS-type foam will add sufficient weight to seriously degrade flight performance. Lightweight tissue-covered freeflight models often use a very thinned-down coat of model airplane dope [lacquer] to water-proof the tissue, but such a thin coat provides very little structural strength per se.

Adding color for looks is one thing, but putting on a ding-protective "shine" is quite another. An easy scientific test is to closely estimate the total surface area of the model, weigh a large flat piece of foam having the same area both without and then with the "*protective" coating, temporarily add that weight very slightly ahead of the CG and see how much you like the "new" flying ability. And see how much real protection the coating gave the foam test sheet. Then you can really see if the trade-off is worth it.
Pile It is offline Find More Posts by Pile It
Old Aug 07, 2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by SRAdair
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Clear Acrylic

Give this a read and then decide if the desired end goal is worth the additional weight added.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html
SRAdair is offline Find More Posts by SRAdair
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:12 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,253 Posts
I use packing tape I built a control line plane foam wing you could beat the wing on a table when done on my ready to fly I cover only the weak spot's. But have built a few planes this way.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member