New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by Deano N
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
400 Posts
Build Log
60" Depron Avro Vulcan

I'm just beginning my first model build.

A 60" wingspan depron Vulcan which will be twin pusher powered. Hand launched and belly landed.

It's still partially in the planning stage as far as the power system is concerned, but I'm looking at 35/36 size motors with 9 or 10" props and 3s power. Probably twin 2200mah 3s lipos since quite a few of my models use these and I have a few about, though I may still go to a single larger capacity lipo.

It will have elevator, aileron and rudder control, removable outer wing panels, 6mm white depron frame and 3mm white depron skin, and I'm toying with the idea of glass cloth and WBP covering at least in critical areas since the grass at my flying field gets more neglected in winter and it will probably need the additional protection.

I've printed off the first rough copy plans that I gratefully received from Electriflier whilst I wait for the main build plans to be professionally printed.

Hoping to get building within the next fortnight once I've calculated and received the foam and carbon rod/strip
Deano N is online now Find More Posts by Deano N
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,011 Posts
R/C Model Aeroplane of Jan 2014 featured a Free plan for a Depron Vulcan
These "might' help :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by Electriflier
Watts Matter?
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
482 Posts
Subscribed!
Good luck and Enjoy!
Roy
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:48 PM
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
R/C Model Aeroplane of Jan 2014 featured a Free plan for a Depron Vulcan
These "might' help :-)
Thanks. I've been researching as much as possible and everything helps.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano N View Post
Thanks. I've been researching as much as possible and everything helps.
I assume you have already looked at the other Vulcan threads, but just in case, scroll down to the 'Similar Threads' list, plus a few others in this forum.

Good luck with the build, I have a fairly old, (2006), 48" span one.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 18, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by ksqm
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Bare,

Would you happen to have the EDF plans?

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,011 Posts
Erm .. Those plans ...are... for 4 50mm edf units
But you can easily Print out the plans at whatever scale pleases.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by jumo004
Joined Apr 2010
410 Posts
This might work also ...

http://gb.trapletshop.com/avro-vulcan-b2
jumo004 is offline Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:47 AM
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
400 Posts
I've just ordered 20 sheets of Depron. Should be enough to build and allow for some mistakes by my inexperienced hands.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:03 AM
IWC
Find More Posts by IWC
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,932 Posts
Subbed
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Parallel build

Coincidently, I am building a 1.4m (54") version loosely based on the same plans (I never thought to ask Electriflier if he had full size plans, so I just used the JPG file he posted in his build). It's 1.4m as that is the largest I can fit in my car without the complications of removable wings.

Mine is being built from 2mm correx, which requires different techniques and some changes in the construction. On the plus side it's a very tough material, so I should not have to worry about hangar rash and landing damage. I'm hoping to power it with just two little Emax 2812 motors and 8x4 props. AUW is looking like being close to 1500g.

I'll be following this thread to see how the two materials compare!

Here are some picture of my progress to date.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:29 AM
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
400 Posts
Thanks for all the plans/info suggestions. I've got a lot of pics and links now and they're all helpful to give me pointers on the structure.

One of my main concerns is selecting the correct motor/prop combo.

Because I'm hand launching and belly landing I want to keep the prop diameter within reason to keep the chance of prop damage to a minimum. I'm not looking to have the model scream around the sky, in fact quite the opposite, one of the main attractions to the Vulcan apart from the fact I love the aircraft, is that I want a nice slow flying and scale like experience but most importantly, plenty of power to handlaunch safely.

I did most of my learning to fly a couple of years ago with a HH Delta ray and that model was so docile and even flew nicely in the fairly windy conditions I have at my flying field, so I know that deltas are nice stable platforms.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:28 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
It's still partially in the planning stage as far as the power system is concerned, but I'm looking at 35/36 size motors with 9 or 10" props and 3s power.

One of my main concerns is selecting the correct motor/prop combo.

Because I'm hand launching and belly landing I want to keep the prop diameter within reason to keep the chance of prop damage to a minimum. I'm not looking to have the model scream around the sky, in fact quite the opposite, one of the main attractions to the Vulcan apart from the fact I love the aircraft, is that I want a nice slow flying and scale like experience but most importantly, plenty of power to handlaunch safely.
Any sense yet of your expected AUW? I'd have thought that two 28mm motors should be more than enough as yours should weigh much the same as mine, but have more wing area, since correx is heavier than depron. My planned motors are effectively 2810 size and rated at 16A each...that still gives me over 100W/lb. My gut feel is that the plane might still feel a little underpowered since I like to be able to cruise at less than half throttle, so I have slightly larger motors lined up as plan B - these ones http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html (2812 size, 1400KV, work well with an 8x6 prop).

I'd be surprised if your Vulcan needs more power than mine. 28mm motors also fit nicely inside the jet pipes, whereas I suspect that you will have to enlarge them for 35mm motors. IIRC Ian101's 80" version used only slightly larger motors (effectively 2815 size, but lower KV).

I hope to maiden within 2 weeks, so I'll let you know how these power options perform.
Last edited by Extreme Sports; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:04 AM
NW UK
Joined Mar 2009
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
Any sense yet of your expected AUW? I'd have thought that two 28mm motors should be more than enough as yours should weigh much the same as mine, but have more wing area, since correx is heavier than depron. My planned motors are effectively 2810 size and rated at 16A each...that still gives me over 100W/lb. My gut feel is that the plane might still feel a little underpowered since I like to be able to cruise at less than half throttle, so I have slightly larger motors lined up as plan B - these ones http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html (2812 size, 1400KV, work well with an 8x6 prop).

I'd be surprised if your Vulcan needs more power than mine. 28mm motors also fit nicely inside the jet pipes, whereas I suspect that you will have to enlarge them for 35mm motors. IIRC Ian101's 80" version used only slightly larger motors (effectively 2815 size, but lower KV).

I hope to maiden within 2 weeks, so I'll let you know how these power options perform.
I will be able to calculate a better estimate auw figure when the foam arrives but I'm expecting around 2.5kg. I was also hoping to use 8x6 props since I already have a good supply of those from running them on an HK B25.

I've been running some figures through ecalc and like you I would be aiming for 1/2 throttle cruise to get some decent flight times.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
I will be able to calculate a better estimate auw figure when the foam arrives but I'm expecting around 2.5kg.
2.5kg! Isn't depron supposed to be a lot lighter than correx?

Seriously though, that sounds very conservative and could lead to your putting in a heavy power system that ends up needing everything to be strengthened and consequently getting heavier unnecessarily. Do you have a specific need for long flight times or any other reason for the heavy electronics? I'm assuming that its the electronics that are adding the weight as there is no way a depron airframe should weigh more than a correx one, even with some fibreglass reinforcement. I'm planning to use just a single 2200mAh Lipo, or at worst a 3000mAh one. My AUW should be around 1.5kg...at 60" in depron you should be able to end up much the same, which opens the option for much lighter (and cheaper) electronics.