New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by Maximuss Actual
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
Build Log
HobbyKing Blanik L-13 Scale Glider

Thought I'd take the plunge and have a go at a scale glider and as my first, full size glider flight was in a Blanik in 1980 this model seemed ideal to me. I got the box delivered to my office and my first impression was how large the box was when it turned up. Finally a nice large model that I don't have to strain my eyes to see at thermal altitude.

Out of the box and laid out on the bench this glider still has a nice large presence, in the photos below you can get an idea of the size against my office desk and some tools and glue I keep on hand for lunch time builds.
Maximuss Actual is offline Find More Posts by Maximuss Actual
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
HobbyKing Blanik L-13 Scale Glider Biuld Log continued

Once I got my Blanik home I laid it all out on the work bench and had a quick read through the instruction manual. Nothing too hard about this build. Some key points to remember about the assembly are;

1. Foam is a little soft and requires gentle support during assembly to minimise dents etc. I laid mine on a soft towel on the workbench and when holding the model use an open hand so you don't get any finger dents on the foam.

2. Study the instruction manual graphics well to ensure that the correct size screws are used in the correct positions when attaching tail surfaces and wings.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
HobbyKing Blanik L-13 Scale Glider Build Log Continued

Prior to attaching the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces I freed up the elevators and rudder hinges by working them backwards and forwards a few times until the hinges could move easily.

Unwind the the rudder servo lead and feed it through the hole in the rear of the fuselage. The lead can be pulled through gently by gaining access to the inner rear fuselage via the magnetically latched access hatch in the underside of the fuselage. Once fed through hold the fuselage vertical and give it a gentle shake to get the lead and plug to move through to the forward part of the fuselage. I used a bent piece of wire to hook the plug end of the lead and pull it all the way forward.

One quality addition I noticed at this point was that all the hatch magnets have been taped over, this stops them getting covered in dust and dirt when operating in the field.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
HobbyKing Blanik L-13 Scale Glider Build Log continued

As mentioned before ensure you use the correct length screws in the correct locations when attaching the vertical and horizontal and check for alignment.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
HobbyKing Blanik L-13 Scale Glider Build Log continued

Free up the Aileron and Flap hinges and attach control horns. Ensure that all control horns are gently moved from their stored positions to neutral position ready for connection of push rods.

Be careful when inserting the plywood wing spar as it's a tight fit, I pushed mine in as far as it would move but it still had a 1/2 an inch to go so I tapped the spar on the floor a few times while holding the wing gently until it bottomed out in the wing.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:10 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
HobbyKing L-13 Blanik Build Log Continued

Once the wings are assembled together and attached to the fuselage you can appreciate how big this beauty really is.

I threw in a radio receiver and powered up the glider so I could set the control pushrods up.

Note : REMOVE PROPELLER PRIOR TO POWERING UP FOR THE FIRST TIME

All servos were set to neutral and pushrod/clevis assemblies attached and checked for neutral. Once set all clevises were taped to stop them popping open in flight.

No control throws were mentioned in the manual so I set up large throws but used a moderate amount of expo on my Transmitter (60%).

I set up the flaps to operate via the three position switch on my Transmitter (half flap and full flap, very handy depending on the flying conditions)

Motor Attachment grub screws (accessed via the tow small holes on each side of the nose) were checked for security and propeller was re attached.

I used a 3S 2200mah battery to test the motor and propeller and it seemed to pull quite well.

Cof G was established as per the instruction manual reference and now all I've got left to do is glue on the wingtip fairings and wait for the infernal bad weather to clear for a maiden flight. I'll post the results of this flight as soon as I get up to the flying field.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by pike
barton le clay, Bedfordshire, England.
Joined Mar 2004
21 Posts
Hi,
Did you get to fly the Blanik yet?
pike is offline Find More Posts by pike
Old Aug 01, 2015, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
Next weekend hopefully. Had a go last week and all went well but the elevator felt mushy i.e. not a lot of control authority, further investigation showed that the elevator servo underneath the rear lower hatch in the fuselage was a bit loose in it's mounting. A bit of hot glue and all's well so just waiting for the wind to subside a bit (20 km/h's per hour yesterday) for the next test flight. I'm using a 3 cell battery so as not to overheat the ESC etc...
Old Aug 22, 2015, 08:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
Blanik Maiden Flight

Well I finally got the maiden flight in last weekend, all went well just make sure you all check the Elevator servo thoroughly to ensure it is glued in to the fuselage correctly, mine was loose after the first flight attempt which resulted in poor pitch control.

I used a 3 cell 3000mAh LiPo battery as I've heard those that fly with the four cell end up pulling the motor out of the mount in the front of the fuselage. 3 Celsl worked perfectly for me, good scale climb (remember it's not a hotliner it's a scale glider). You will need at least 300 -350 grams of battery weight to get the CoG correct, try and avoid flying the glider if is tail heavy in any way as it's a real dog.

I found that just using the ailerons and elevator (bank and yank style) is no good for this glider, it will tip stall if too much bank angle is applied and a large amount of altitude will be lost, not good if you are already close to the ground. I found by using the rudder to turn with only a small amount of aileron (coordinated turning) works well, sometimes even opposite aileron was needed to keep the wings level when large amounts of rudder are used.

Flaps worked a dream especially for landing, I set mine up on my Orange Rx Transmitter from HobbyKing on the 3 position switch, flaps Up, half down and down. I only used the half down position for landing and all worked fine.

A fair amount of care and attention is needed during the maiden flight but once the CoG is sorted and you get to grips with coordinated turns using rudder and ailerons with a touch of elevator then the HobbyKing Blanik flies quite nicely.

Can't wait for summer to get here so I can enjoy some nice thermalling, hope this has been helpful guys.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by craigrrr
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
597 Posts
Very nice

Maximuss:

A very handsome scale sailplane.

Your flight pictures are great.

I always wanted to take a ride in one of these old classics.

Best of luck flying this pretty bird.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr