New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2014, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by ZED_C
Joined Mar 2009
28 Posts
Is this thing on ???
ZED_C is offline Find More Posts by ZED_C
Last edited by ZED_C; May 10, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2014, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by ZED_C
Joined Mar 2009
28 Posts
So I decided that I should build a boiler for my D10....
Getting material was difficult, however I had some luck with local plumbing supplies shop, they had a piece of 4 inch tube and I got it free of charge.
2 inch 16 gauge was totally different story, I ended up buying it from Maccsteam.
Sounds a bit ridiculous but it is true, had to buy a piece of copper tube from half a planet away.
I do not have drawings for this boiler, I'm basically "freestyling"

Forming the endcaps was straight forward, two timber blocks, oxy set and a lot of patience, just keep annealing the part as soon as it starts ringing when you hit it with a hammer.
Anyway, have look at the photos, any advice is welcome
Old May 12, 2014, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,300 Posts
From the looks of it you do not need any advise.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is online now Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old May 12, 2014, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus_
Bernouli effect is overrated
Joined Apr 2014
45 Posts
Thanks Gerald,

I can find my way around workshop easily , but I also believe that all people know everything, single person does not.
Is there any rule for smokestack size ? I intend to use 32 mm dia. tube.
Entire boiler will be 290mm long, am I overdoing things here ?

Regards
Zelko
Daedalus_ is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus_
Old May 14, 2014, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by dunc2504
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,265 Posts
Hi.
Most of the boilers I have seen have a flue that is smaller than the fire tube , I would guess by about a third. Not sure why , but I am guessing it is an attempt to get all that nice heat to stay in a little longer.
Don't forget to use higher melting point rods for the burner tube and slightly lower for the ends, like I didn't first time round and had silver solder melting all over the place
Nice engine by the way.
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by mistairjoe
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,255 Posts
any updates???
mistairjoe is online now Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Nov 16, 2014, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by ZED_C
Joined Mar 2009
28 Posts
Still making progress, just finding it difficult to find free time.
Anyway, I managed to silver solder the boiler. Everything went quite well...
I drilled and tapped only one journal, that way there is no extra holes to plug for pressure testing.
And, I have to bore a hole for a chimney/smokestack/funnel.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
337 Posts
Looking good so far!
SenorNeekers is offline Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Old Jan 09, 2015, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by MerlinV
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED_C View Post
Today's exercise was making cylinder covers. There are only steam chest covers and the flywheel left as far as Cast Iron parts are concerned.
Soon I will have to start working on the crankshaft, I think that I will take Loctite and pins approach. I don't like the idea of soldering because of possibility of distortion.
Can someone please tell me about the pins, are they small dowels ? Where can I get them from ?
Also I am considering making counterweights on crankshaft webs, did anyone try doing this ? I think that it will add to the dynamics/appearance of the engine, maybe even make it a bit smoother.
I tapped the gland ports M8 x 1.25 (a. Because I had a tap handy, and b. Because I only have metric change gears for my (imperial) Chinese lathe.
Love the captions... Took me a couple of posts to realise you were piss taking.

Cheers,

Hugh

Ps. I have turned up a couple of cranks for these engines now from forged blanks. It's easier than it looks.
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old May 02, 2015, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by ZED_C
Joined Mar 2009
28 Posts
Ok, my boiler passed pressure testing successfully, now it is time to connect it to my steam engine.
Not so fast !!! I have no idea what kind of pipe fitting goes into the intake manifold.
I guess that it has to have external thread, about 1/4.
Well, 1/4-32 tap fits fits ok...
Does anyone know what fitting goes there ? I should mention that it is standard Stuart Turner manifold.
Old May 03, 2015, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Ok, my boiler passed pressure testing successfully, now it is time to connect it to my steam engine.
Not so fast !!! I have no idea what kind of pipe fitting goes into the intake manifold.
I guess that it has to have external thread, about 1/4.
Well, 1/4-32 tap fits fits ok...
Does anyone know what fitting goes there ? I should mention that it is standard Stuart Turner manifold.

Zelko,
Stuart Turner threads are,
5/32" & 3/16" x 40 t.p.i.

1/4 " x 32 t.p.i. 5/16" and above is 26t.p.i. ( B.S.P.)

The steam pipe on a D10 is 3/16" o/dia and to fit the pipe and a niple it will be 3/8" x 26 t.p.i.
The exhaust is 1/4" o/d and the thread will be 7/16 x 26 t.p.i.

3/8 x 26 t.p.i and 7/16 x 26 t.p.i. is the dimensions of the Stuart boiler feed pump for the delivery side 3/16' dia pipe and the suction side pipe 1/4" dia pipe.

Gdeorge.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old May 04, 2015, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by ZED_C
Joined Mar 2009
28 Posts
George,

Thank you very much for trying to explain it to me, but after reading your reply a few times I concluded that I have no hope of understanding all those imperial thread sizes. Especially pipe fitting sizes !
That thread in the inlet manifold is 1/4-32, pipe that I would like to connect to it is 3/16 dia.
I did a small sketch of what I want to do. So far it looks like I will have to make some sort of adapter
Old May 04, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by ooyah
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
George,

Thank you very much for trying to explain it to me, but after reading your reply a few times I concluded that I have no hope of understanding all those imperial thread sizes. Especially pipe fitting sizes !
That thread in the inlet manifold is 1/4-32, pipe that I would like to connect to it is 3/16 dia.
I did a small sketch of what I want to do. So far it looks like I will have to make some sort of adapter
Zelko
You did ask what were Stuarts threads so I gave you the range that they use.

You have the right idea that you will have to make an adaptor, as long as you make the thread in the Stuart manifold 1/4 x 32 t.p.i. you can make the other end of the adaptor to any thread that you wish but remember to keep the thro' hole the same as the bore of the 3/16 Copper pipe, likewise for the exhaust but for 1/4" o/d pipe.

I don't make the connecting nipples as you have drawn them so hopefuly this sketch will come thro' that you can read.

You can make the nipples as shown to fit any size of pipe as long as they are not too big in dia to clear the thread in the nuts..

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Last edited by ooyah; May 04, 2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Adding info.