Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by stents3
"Annie"
United States, NY, Centereach
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950 View Post
Were the Taranis gimbals a direct swap, or did you have to do some cutting, trimming, soldering?
Direct swap ,no cutting at all. The only problem I had was to turn the throttle /rudder gimbal 180 degrees around so the ratcheting/tension metal strip was on the left side of the TX . Installing it the normal way with the strip in the center interfered with the Bd. on the back half of the case. You will have to cut and re-solder the wires as the connecters are different(easy to do, just take your time)
stents3 is offline Find More Posts by stents3
Last edited by stents3; Aug 20, 2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
1,356 Posts
Thanks, but eyes and hands preclude any soldering on this small scale.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,788 Posts
You may be able to get away without any soldering. The connectors are the same type, just different number of ways. It is possible to lift the retainer tab (part of the housing) and remove the crimped connector from the housing, then do the same on the 9X connector and push the crimp from gimbal into the 9X housing. This may should work as long as the wires on the new gimbal is long enough.
I've swapped crimps in housings on many occasions.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by showmaster
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
2,646 Posts
That or ask a friend, family member, or local Rc club member, ham friend, that you may know that's good at it.
I do it a lot for all of the above.
Many can solder or swap pins and have a steady hand we don't think of asking.
SM
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by s_mack
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,369 Posts
On my particular 9x, that wouldn't work. Did you try it Mike? The gimbal wires (on mine) go to a little board that the trim buttons are on, and while they look like a normal JST connector, the pins go through the connector and into the PCB itself, and is soldered on. On mine, it is the same with the back plane "connectors" (I hesitate to call anything a "connector" that can't be disconnected!)
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by stents3
"Annie"
United States, NY, Centereach
Joined Mar 2006
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950 View Post
Thanks, but eyes and hands preclude any soldering on this small scale.
I'm sorry to hear that your unable to do any soldering. As Showmaster pointed out, if you can get a friend or such to do it for you it is well worth the up grade. With the original gimbals on the "Dual rate/Expo"screen,all three spring return axis's never "0"(zeroed out)they were always slightly + or- at center. With the Taranis gimbals they are dead(0) on when returning to neutral. Plus the feel is smoother. I'm definitely not a competition flier, but it nice to know it's close to perfect.
stents3 is offline Find More Posts by stents3
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,788 Posts
No, I was thinking the gimbal connections went straight to the main board, I forgot about the trim board in the middle!

A feature I've added for ersky9x, and therefore available with the 9Xtreme board, is a definable "deadband" for the centre of each stick. This provides a repeatable centre of zero, but doesn't seem to affect the control ability of the stick.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 20, 2015, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by jhsa
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,980 Posts
It works well.. I use it on my 9XR- Pro..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Today, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,429 Posts
I'm going to get another 9x in anticipation of this new board coming out. I'm planning on getting the Turnigy version from HK (same as the one I have now) and also the backlight that is listed on the same page. Am I doing the right thing or should I be getting a different one?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Today, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by hendrnk
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I'm going to get another 9x in anticipation of this new board coming out. I'm planning on getting the Turnigy version from HK (same as the one I have now) and also the backlight that is listed on the same page. Am I doing the right thing or should I be getting a different one?
Why not spend a little more and get a Taranis OpenTx Tx.?
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Today, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Jovanx
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Why not spend a little more and get a Taranis OpenTx Tx.?
I might get a Taranis some day, but right now I am just looking for a backup for my 9x. It's the radio I use every day and it would be great to know I wouldn't be grounded by a component failure. Voice and telemetry are not that important to me, and I like the feel and simplicity of the 9x.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Today, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by s_mack
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about the 9xtreme. Don't bother getting the backlight from HK. The 9xtreme will have a superior RGB backlight included that you can assign pretty much any color you want.
s_mack is online now Find More Posts by s_mack