HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:07 PM
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Fiber FPV Quad Frame Comparison

Hello everybody. I’ve been scouring the internet looking to buy a decent carbon fiber frame that will accommodate an FPV transmitter, FPV cam, video cam, cloverleaf antenna, etc. Here are 5 that I liked. I wanted to make a “Consumer Reports” type of thread for experienced FPV pilots to contribute to, so I took the liberty of listing some basic info on all 5 frames: size, weight, material, cost, arm thickness, and source (including the links to find each of these frames).

My hope is that some of you guys will comment on these, so I and others will have a more informed opinion before we make a purchase. Maybe someone can even add a CF frame that I missed to the info that I’ve compiled. ALL REVIEWS AND COMMENTS ARE WELCOME! Thanks.
Tornado78 is offline Find More Posts by Tornado78
Last edited by Tornado78; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:01 PM
Team Cobra USA/Team Blackout
Joined Jan 2006
2,100 Posts
some are not like the others?

the armattan is more acro than fpv. i think he sells a plate for fpv gear though. his frames are stout too

the blackout is the perfect beginner to pro level frame. easy to build and will probably last forever. that pdb.......mmmmm, sexy

the nighthawk.......uh no!

know absolutely nothing about the alien copter. not even in the same category as the first three

the qav500 is a good frame but does not fit with the first three.

i guess it really depends on what type of flying you want to do. if you are looking for more AP style flying then maybe the last two. if you want crazy fpv shenanigans where you can take the quad anywhere and everywhere then look no further than the blackout. or if youre patient blackout will be releasing a 330 and 400 soon

also if you like the nightawk i suggest you look at xhovers 230elite. the nighthawk is a pretty close copy to xhovers and you get real carbon fiber and a much lower weight frame ......and a pdb board.

xhover.com
awdspider is online now Find More Posts by awdspider
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
AWESOME. Thanks for the advice!

When do the Blackout 330 and 400 come out?

I do like the Night Hawk...the price is right. I've never seen an xhover. What's the price on that?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
I'm not made of money, and I'd rather spend my money on quality FPV equipment than on a frame. But at this stage, I am open to considering all options.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,100 Posts
I understand where you are coming from but in my opinion the frame is the single most important part of your build. It should be thought of like buying the best fpv gear. A well designed frame will reward you with hours and hours of flying.

Now, I'm not saying the nighthawk is junk but I can assure you the blackout mini H/xhover/armattan will take abuse..... Time and time again. It will be money well spent.

The blackout was my first "commercial" fpv frame, (bought last year in September/October) before that I made my own. I can tell you that after the first few crashes with the blackout my confidence increased. I didn't worry about breaking the frame. Since then he has increased the strength of the frame and streamlined the build. The $150 it cost is cheap when you compare it to other weaker frames that constantly need replacement pieces in crashes. None of these frames are indestructible but there is a reason why they are so popular.

After I felt like I was getting good I sold my blackout mini H and went and sampled what else was out there. there were a few that at first flight I fell in love with but the luster wore off and I got to see the downsides. After several other mini quads I came back to the blackout mini H and it's not going anywhere this time around.

My suggestions to you are is look and see what the really good pilots are flying

BorisB, xhover, Midwestrob, juz70 and so on. Find the threads here on rc groups multirotor section and have a look see. There will be one mini that is hands down the most popular

You can look under awdquads on YouTube and you can see some of my videos if ya want.

My list is as follows when it comes to minis. No particular order other than the first one

Blackout Mini H
Xhover mxp230
DRQ250
B.a.h nemesis 240
Trinco rd230
Armattan mini tri/quad

If this is your first fpv quad then I would really suggest getting a mini first. They can take much much more abuse than the big guys.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:53 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,100 Posts
I can't say when the 330 or 400 will be out but I can show you a few pics of the 330
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
How is the QAV carbon fiber? Heck at least the CineTank has CF arms.
terabyte is offline Find More Posts by terabyte
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2014
98 Posts
Hi Terabyte. Yeah, the QAV is a weird combination...i suppose the body is CF while the arms are Aluminum. Saw this one on www.getfpv.com . It's a good site, but what are they gonna call themselves if FPV gets banned??
BestHobbyMall is offline Find More Posts by BestHobbyMall
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2014
98 Posts
Howdy, Chris from www.BestHobbyMall.com here. I see that Tornado 78 listed my Night Hawk 250 above in his comparison. Not too many people know about my company, so I hope you will take a look at the site. We are working hard to find the latest RC products with the idea of a "good value" in mind. Personally, knowing the market price for bulk rolls of carbon fiber weave, I think some of the other above listed frames are overpriced. As far as our Night Hawk 250 is concerned, our intention was to make it half CF/half glass to really bring down the price (though it's not quite as light as 100% CF) and make it available to more FPV flyers. So, I hope you will give it a chance. Here's a link to further details about the Night Hawk 250.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...250+key+points

I would definitely be interested in comments from everybody. Thanks!
BestHobbyMall is offline Find More Posts by BestHobbyMall
Last edited by BestHobbyMall; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdspider View Post
I understand where you are coming from but in my opinion the frame is the single most important part of your build. It should be thought of like buying the best fpv gear. A well designed frame will reward you with hours and hours of flying.

Now, I'm not saying the nighthawk is junk but I can assure you the blackout mini H/xhover/armattan will take abuse..... Time and time again. It will be money well spent.

The blackout was my first "commercial" fpv frame, (bought last year in September/October) before that I made my own. I can tell you that after the first few crashes with the blackout my confidence increased. I didn't worry about breaking the frame. Since then he has increased the strength of the frame and streamlined the build. The $150 it cost is cheap when you compare it to other weaker frames that constantly need replacement pieces in crashes. None of these frames are indestructible but there is a reason why they are so popular.

After I felt like I was getting good I sold my blackout mini H and went and sampled what else was out there. there were a few that at first flight I fell in love with but the luster wore off and I got to see the downsides. After several other mini quads I came back to the blackout mini H and it's not going anywhere this time around.

My suggestions to you are is look and see what the really good pilots are flying

BorisB, xhover, Midwestrob, juz70 and so on. Find the threads here on rc groups multirotor section and have a look see. There will be one mini that is hands down the most popular

You can look under awdquads on YouTube and you can see some of my videos if ya want.

My list is as follows when it comes to minis. No particular order other than the first one

Blackout Mini H
Xhover mxp230
DRQ250
B.a.h nemesis 240
Trinco rd230
Armattan mini tri/quad

If this is your first fpv quad then I would really suggest getting a mini first. They can take much much more abuse than the big guys.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out with a thoughtful answer! You are obviously an experienced RC pilot with a lot of wisdom to impart to newbies like me!!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,100 Posts
you bet man, i and others are always here to help
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:09 AM
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestHobbyMall View Post
Hi Terabyte. Yeah, the QAV is a weird combination...i suppose the body is CF while the arms are Aluminum. Saw this one on www.getfpv.com . It's a good site, but what are they gonna call themselves if FPV gets banned??
The QAV has a G10 frame just like the CineTank but with cast aluminum arms vs. our carbon fiber.
terabyte is offline Find More Posts by terabyte
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
People can say all they want about a product such as a CF frame, but I tell ya there's nothing quite like first hand knowledge. After much debating, weighing pros and cons, etc. my buddy's Night Hawk 250 arrived. This guy (no names mentioned...haha) absolutely ABUSES HIS QUADS! Despite being an accomplished RC pilot, he frequently takes risks which sometimes results in crashing into trees, etc.

So anyway, after beating the heck out of his Night Hawk 250, it showed no signs of breakage or cracking. So, for $40 bucks, the choice seems pretty simple to me.

I believe those other CF quad frames are good quality too. Just, with all the components you need to buy to put your bird in the air, this one seemed like the best choice for me.
Old Aug 04, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
Having a lot of fun with my new 250!!! (though I'm not perfect at flying it yet)

I just want to express my thanks for the veteran RC pilots on this site who routinely offer their knowledge to guys like me so we don't have to reinvent the wheel...

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
Old Aug 04, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2014
26 Posts
I received a private message from someone whose name will remain anonymous (as it was a private message), but I feel his questions will be quite helpful to some people regarding the Night Hawk frame that I bought. Here is his question:

"Hi there, sorry to bother, but I noticed that you had posted this. (above)

The Nighthawk seems to be a very close copy of the MPX230 but with thicker arms. And I think the shop owner is right, there is not much hope in breaking 5mm arms.

What I wanted to know, is can you confirm that the arms are long enough to accommodate 6" props like the bestmallhobby website claims?

Thanks for your help.
"

So to answer him, I said that I use both 5inch and 6 inch cf props on mine. Here are a couple of pics that show that the arms of the Night Hawk are long enough to fit both sizes of propellers.

Both sets of carbon fiber propellers were also purchased in the same order from Best Hobby Mall. I felt they were a bargain at just over $5 for a pair.