SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Nice KE spin indeed Brian! I've tried several times and never pulled one off. I eventually wrote it off because I felt the plane just didn't have enough mass to make it happen but you certainly pulled one off for sure!

I'm glad I've seen it done now! Have you been able to do a blender??

Even so, it's clearly difficult to pull these maneuvers off on such a small and light plane and it sounds like you're saying that you can't do then consistently right?

Guess I need to dig mine back out and give it a go now that I know it's possible!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
That's sucks! Do you have something else to go fly. Or better yet call around to other hobby shops within an hour and go get it there. No point in wasting a day off Mine won't be here until around noon on Monday. I imagine a lot of us will be getting them Monday.
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on whether you talk to me or my wife) I've got plenty of other stuff to fly. It's just that I really wanted to fly the edge today. With winter as close as it is, our good outdoor flying days can come to a screeching halt in a minutes notice around here. Typically around this time of year, I mow grass one week and the next week I've got the deck off and blade on and am pushing snow.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Nice KE spin indeed Brian! I've tried several times and never pulled one off. I eventually wrote it off because I felt the plane just didn't have enough mass to make it happen but you certainly pulled one off for sure!

I'm glad I've seen it done now! Have you been able to do a blender??

Even so, it's clearly difficult to pull these maneuvers off on such a small and light plane and it sounds like you're saying that you can't do then consistently right?

Guess I need to dig mine back out and give it a go now that I know it's possible!
You are correct about them being tough! I can get it do a KE spin about 30-40% of attempts whereas on my 3DHS 57" Extra I can do them about 90% and the Fuse is more sideways. Of course the 57 is quite possibly the perfect plane so it is not a fair comparison.

Blenders on the B3D I can consistently do. I just start high and hammerhead into a full aileron down line. Feed in opposite rudder and down elevator as it descends. I have to go to full throttle to get it to stop the descent. but after 2-3 more turns it stops descending and will then pull the nose up through and into a hover(sometimes) often it pulls the nose up then violently snaps out. This is only due to pilot though. If it pulls up top facing me I can hold it but In other orientations I'm just not fast enough yet.
A very important note is that I have a 3000kv motor and a 5030 prop. I've tried a blender on the stock 2500 and a 2300kv +5043 and neither of those setups had enough grunt to arrest the descent of the blender. At best on the 2300+5043 I got a VERY slowly descending inverted flat spin. Actually it looked just like blender at the baseball diamond in the 540QQ video(1:30). Where instead of a hover out he flat spin'd into high alpha out.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
You are correct about them being tough! I can get it do a KE spin about 30-40% of attempts whereas on my 3DHS 57" Extra I can do them about 90% and the Fuse is more sideways. Of course the 57 is quite possibly the perfect plane so it is not a fair comparison.

Blenders on the B3D I can consistently do. I just start high and hammerhead into a full aileron down line. Feed in opposite rudder and down elevator as it descends. I have to go to full throttle to get it to stop the descent. but after 2-3 more turns it stops descending and will then pull the nose up through and into a hover(sometimes) often it pulls the nose up then violently snaps out. This is only due to pilot though. If it pulls up top facing me I can hold it but In other orientations I'm just not fast enough yet.
A very important note is that I have a 3000kv motor and a 5030 prop. I've tried a blender on the stock 2500 and a 2300kv +5043 and neither of those setups had enough grunt to arrest the descent of the blender. At best on the 2300+5043 I got a VERY slowly descending inverted flat spin. Actually it looked just like blender at the baseball diamond in the 540QQ video(1:30). Where instead of a hover out he flat spin'd into high alpha out.

-Brian
OK. My 3D Beast is with stock motor and prop. I have found that when I try to do a blender it just flattens out and won't spin. I've tried it with all sorts of different throttle entries too. I can do them all day long on any balsa plane. On my Crack Yak foamie I've found that it needs zero throttle. I think the lighter planes are much more sensitive to throttle. If you over power it, they just don't have enough mass to pull through the forces of the blend.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
sweet just got mine!!!!! AWESOME!
0gravity is online now Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0gravity View Post
Lucky! Shipped from HH or an LHS?
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Quote:
And what to you think??? Are you going to maiden today?
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
And what to you think??? Are you going to maiden today?
Ordered direct from HH and I live in Chicago...

Maiden will be tomorrow. Here is what I think. Its gorgeous. The size is perfect - if you are a disbeliever... Sorry, I'm shooting you down right now. I don't even think it's a matter of if they fly well (which I think it will).

When you see the size in person they HAVE invented the MACRO fellas. It's a niche filler.

perfect.
0gravity is online now Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,641 Posts
Quote:

Maiden will be tomorrow. Here is what I think. Its gorgeous. The size is perfect - if you are a disbeliever... Sorry, I'm shooting you down right now. I don't even think it's a matter of if they fly well (which I think it will).

When you see the size in person they HAVE invented the MACRO fellas. It's a niche filler.

perfect.
Sounds great!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,242 Posts
Quote:

perfect.
This is what I thought ALL along!! :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,913 Posts
Looks like mine was shipped yesterday, for a Tuesday delivery. Woohoo!

Where are my batteries!! Gah! THat's going to suck to have the plane and no power!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
Hi all...
looking forward to the first owners here- this plane size could start a new area following with several new types similar the UMX fleet. Would be nice but nobody knows what Horizon think and want to do
-
Just see the new "unique Dx18QQ" which discussed in a own thread- think this "new hit" was a little bit "oversized" in my eyes- the price would be o.k if i can fly like QQ with it- when I bought it
-
Back to the Edge and thanks to Dave for the picture- looks sweet and I have to drool. Mine is comming soon, I hope so.
Maybe, let us start a "Edge owners thread" where we could mark our planes with numbers on the fuselage- funny idea, isn't it ?
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:35 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Mine came in today! It's still at the lhs, I'll be picking it up shortly. They already tested the shops edge, said it was unbelievable!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
somebody posted that HH will have downloads from QQ Edge DX8 setup for free- can I have the link if they are available ?
Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
surprise, surprise

wow..just checked my local online seller and the "Edge order light was green" - immediately got my order with three SLS 3S/500mA
Hand's up...fantastic

>>> and after my order the light was red again...don't know how many planes were shipped to Germany to the first sellers.
Lucky count :-)
Last edited by SLK Count; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:14 PM.