Edinburgh, Scotland
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Question
La 500

Hello folks

Anyone got an LA 500 flying yet?

I've just started assembling mine.

I'd appreciate advice on the motor. The instructions say minimum 200W with a 40A esc, but they specify an 8 by 4 prop.
I have a few motors which use such a prop but they only pull about 9A.

Am I talking sense or have I got my props in a twist (sorry)?

Confused from Edinburgh
AlanGyrohead is offline Find More Posts by AlanGyrohead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:12 AM
The Cotswolds
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
The 8 inch diameter is because that's all there is room for in the design (If the thrust line has to go where it is, then a drop keel would have been better allowin for a larger prop). I've gone and raised the motor half an inch to provide clearance for a 9 inch prop. Others have suggested caution with this approach as it may cause a pitch over if the thrust-line is above the cg. I'm prepared to take the risk (It has yet to fly so I can't yet comment either way). I'm using an axi 2814/12 with an apc 9x4.5 and with a 3s lipo that spins at 11500 rpm and draws around 25 amps. With the same motor and battery an apc 8x6 spins around 11250 rpm and also draws around 25 amps. However, the static thrust of the lower pitch 9 inch prop is at least 50% more than the higher pitch 8 inch and almost provides a perfect 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio. I haven't tried an 8x4 (The instructions are in fact contradictory as in one place they recommend an 8x4 and in another place an 8x6) but a hotter motor (fewer winds and higher KV) than mine would be more appropriate for an 8x4.
RussellA is offline Find More Posts by RussellA
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:30 PM
Edinburgh, Scotland
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Thanks RussellA, just what I wanted to know. I'll need to move the motor mounts myself anyway. I noticed the two prop sizes in the instructions.
Have you got yours flying yet?

Was the one-way bearing the right way round? I am sure mine isn't, and I did follow the instructions carefully. I'll find out when I get my head together (sorry).
The only other worry is the teetering block is a very tight fit. Any idea if this is deliberate?

Many Thanks
Alan
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:55 AM
The Cotswolds
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
Yep the one way bearing is the wrong way round in the instructions (a friend of mine who has an LA Heli helicopter (it uses the same parts) says the picture was lifted straight out of the instructions for his helicopter and is the right way round in that application but the wrong way round in this). Other little faults I've discovered (but which may not be the case with all kits): 1. The lock washer on the rotorshaft needs to be removed to prevent the head block bolts catching on the nut. 2. The blade strap needs the edges chamfering to stop it catching when pivoting (some have said this maybe deliberate, but I disagree, plus a friends kit is free and easy in this regard). 3. The red dot on the pre-rotation motor indicates the side the negative wire needs to be attached to not the positive. 4. The blades are closely matched for weight but not spanwise CG (mine were out by over 1/2 inch) and required 2.5 grams of weight adding to the tip of one blade and the root of the other. I've finished building mine but now need to setup the control throws before flying.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:57 PM
Edinburgh, Scotland
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Thanks again RussellA. Just what I needed to know.
I've some work to do to get the blade strap to pivot properly.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:58 PM
The Cotswolds
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
Another discovery: The little speed controller for the pre-rotation motor has a BEC. If you want to disable it, either cut the middle (red) wire leading to the receiver or put in a short servo extension lead with the middle wire cut.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:56 PM
Edinburgh, Scotland
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Thanks for that. It'll be a while before I get to that stage. I've got the teetering bit teetering freely now after some work with a file, and I've taken out the one way bearing and re-fitted it the right (wrong according to the instructions) way round. I don't think I've done any damage to it.
My next move is to find a motor locally. My LHS does a KMS Quantum which looks about right.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
HUDDINGE, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
41 Posts
Blade end pieces

Thanks RusselA for setting my mind at ease regarding the one way bearing. I tried to figure out the direction, but couldn't agree with the instructions...

In the bag with pieces for the blade holders, there are two plastic pieces that seems to fit on the blade tips. There is nothing on this in the instructions. They fit allright, but are they for transportation protection or a permanent fix? What kind of glue will keep it in place? I haven't seen this on any other autogyro/helicopter. On the other hand, I have worn a few blade tips on previous autogyros (PT 25 and Rotorshape)...

Anders
HUDDINGE, Sweden
SkyBug is offline Find More Posts by SkyBug
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:33 PM
The Cotswolds
Joined Jul 2007
74 Posts
I stuck those on with 30 minute epoxy.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
i have flown this model for about two weeks now and found out that the one way bearing in the instructions is wrong and i havent used the plastic blade ends i also used the emax 1400 kv motor with a 40 amp speed controller witch pull 500 watts of power which is a little to much but can get you out of trouble.
andy peach is offline Find More Posts by andy peach
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:49 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Just started to put together mine, found out there is no pilot figure included.

The steering arm set screw is too short , barely sticks out pass the collar to grab the steering arm.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 07, 2010, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
have you put the arms on the right way because i had no problems with them but the instructions tell you to put the one way bearing in the wrong way also i have put the plastic ends on now and its a must do to protect the end when it tips over
andy peach is offline Find More Posts by andy peach