HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
acro or heli means "is there the picture/icon of a plane or a heli on your screen"? You need to have a picture/icon of a plane on your screen for it to work properly (NOT the heli, I know this is counterintuitive, but it is what it is ...)
And NO, I dont mean mode1 or mode2 ...

As for the CoG (center of gravity) question ... sorry no, no answer - I havent flown a CX2 in years - but it should be level when the battery is inserted. Otherwise something is too heavy somewhere ....)
AHA! I've never used ACRO mode as I have no planes, just copters. I thought Acro meant Acrobatic mode. LOL!

Thanks man. It seems to be more balanced now that I'm balancing it with the canopy installed.

Now that I have it bound to the LP5 it didn't want to respond to throttle inputs either, then suddenly it started working. I may have some sort of an intermittent issue here. Is that more likely a 3-in-1 controller issue? Or the receiver that's the issue? Thanks!
d_train is offline Find More Posts by d_train
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2014, 04:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_train View Post
AHA! I've never used ACRO mode as I have no planes, just copters. I thought Acro meant Acrobatic mode. LOL!

Thanks man. It seems to be more balanced now that I'm balancing it with the canopy installed.

Now that I have it bound to the LP5 it didn't want to respond to throttle inputs either, then suddenly it started working. I may have some sort of an intermittent issue here. Is that more likely a 3-in-1 controller issue? Or the receiver that's the issue? Thanks!
I dont think anyone can say that - it will always just be speculation which one is more likely ... but I would lean towards 3in1 if I were to speculate .... (which I WONT! ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:08 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
So the extreme se180 motors better to have then ? I already bought 2x 25c battery's so i believe that they say should have the extreme blade grips with blades to use with the motors
Batteries have nothing to do with motors or blades. You bought two batteries and now you should buy pivoting blade grips so the blades don't break when they hit something, but pivot out of the way. The motors you bought are better than the motors that come with the heli. Make sure you put the right motor in the right spot and plug it into the 3-in-1 the way the old ones came out.

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...p_p/bcx302.htm

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...p_p/bcx301.htm

Boomtown is in the US and saves you waiting 3 weeks for parts from Hong Kong.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:13 PM
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
770 Posts
+1 on Boomtown......
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:35 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
Hello I just join today and just bought a Blade CX2 use from ebay chep!! Wife got kind of mad because her uncle fly a gas power heli the size of our son's twin bed and spends a lot of money on his hobby. But anyway I've change the tail boom,skid and extreme canopy already and will change over to Aluminum Upgrades and was thinking of getting :
http://www.wowhobbies.com/brushless-...ama-v4-v3.aspx
How easy is this to put on for someone that has no clue what he is doing? I can get help with wife's uncle if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
There have been guys on here who tried that WOW stuff and it didn't work very well. I guess if you wanted to spend the money, your wife's uncle could probably get you through it, BUT, I'd learn how to fly the heli first before spending too much money. It is NOT necessary to go brushless or buy aluminum parts to learn how to fly. The important thing is to get away from the stock blades. They do not pivot in a crash or tipsy landing and break very easily. You need Xtreme pivoting blade holders (top and bottom rotor) and Xtreme blades. Buy what is necessary and worry about what it looks like later.
inkslinger, Jack gave you some great advice. Brushless (BL) conversions were popular about 3 years ago or more. Some still do it just for the love of it. IMHO, save your bucks and later you can buy a FP (fixed pitched) heli for short money IF you like helis. Many are now getting into quads. I'm afraid coaxs has taken a back seat for now

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 18, 2014, 09:55 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Can you fly the FP with an aftermarket transmitter or do you have to use theirs? I think just about everything I want to get from now on will have to have brushless motors. Enjoying something but having to deal with motors that constantly wear out gets old in a hurry.
My problem with 4 channel planes is turning. Instead of banking a turn, mine want to dive into the ground. I guess it's a correct combo of speed, elevator and aileron, but I just can't get that combination right.
Yes you certainly can fly FP heli's with aftermarket TX but depending on which protocol your heli has. A lot of the Wltoys product uses the flysky protocol which you'll be able to fly with a Turnigy 9X TX. This is just 1 example, aftermarket TX have pre installed many protocols to fly FP heli.
I agree with you that brushless motor is the way to go. I have installed a brushless system on some of my heli's and will install one on my FX070C when my brush motors go out.

I've always been fascinated with helicopters including airplanes but haven't gotten a chance to fly airplanes yet. This is something I definitely want to get into some day. I like the looks of the Corsair style airplanes, which one would you recommend for a beginner?
vincent713 is offline Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Yes you certainly can fly FP heli's with aftermarket TX but depending on which protocol your heli has. A lot of the Wltoys product uses the flysky protocol which you'll be able to fly with a Turnigy 9X TX. This is just 1 example, aftermarket TX have pre installed many protocols to fly FP heli.
I agree with you that brushless motor is the way to go. I have installed a brushless system on some of my heli's and will install one on my FX070C when my brush motors go out.

I've always been fascinated with helicopters including airplanes but haven't gotten a chance to fly airplanes yet. This is something I definitely want to get into some day. I like the looks of the Corsair style airplanes, which one would you recommend for a beginner?
I would recommend any beginner (trainer) style plane. Mostly a high wing trainer such as a Champ. I have a Champ which I started out on then went to a Super Cub LP. Both are 3 channel. I modded the Super Cub and is now a 4 channel with ailerons. The Corsair is a low wing flyer and is a bit squirely for a novice. I would not recommend this plane to start out on.

Mike.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:48 PM
Joined Aug 2013
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the advice Mike, maybe you can educate me a bit on the flight controls. Is it similar to a 4Ch heli where left stick moving up is throttle then left and right turns rudder? Right stick forward and back moves the flap to go higher or lower and moving it right and left makes it lean?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Mike, maybe you can educate me a bit on the flight controls. Is it similar to a 4Ch heli where left stick moving up is throttle then left and right turns rudder? Right stick forward and back moves the flap to go higher or lower and moving it right and left makes it lean?
Most heli pilots pick up on flying planes better than plane pilots pick up on flying helis.

On a 3 channel plane (mode 2), throttle is on the left stick. On the right stick, left and right commands the rudder. This turns the plane. Push the stick forward and the plane decends. Pull the stick back and that makes the plane ascend. The difference between the 3 channel and 4 channel is that the rudder and throttle are on the left stick (4 ch.) while the 3 channel the rudder is your (AIL/heli) is on your right stick.

If you have a programable radio you can put rudder on both the left stick and right stick. This keeps your brain/hand coordination of the rudder on the left stick (as in 4 ch.) flying. I hope this makes some sense. I suck at explaining things

Mike.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
acro or heli means "is there the picture/icon of a plane or a heli on your screen"? You need to have a picture/icon of a plane on your screen for it to work properly (NOT the heli, I know this is counterintuitive, but it is what it is ...)
And NO, I dont mean mode1 or mode2 ...

As for the CoG (center of gravity) question ... sorry no, no answer - I havent flown a CX2 in years - but it should be level when the battery is inserted. Otherwise something is too heavy somewhere ....)
OK, so when you asked if I was using ACRO mode, do you mean that if I was then that is my problem? Or that I need to be using that mode for it to bind properly? I've tried it both ways, and when my DX6i binds it controls the servo's fine (right stick sends all commands perfectly) but there is no response to throttle commands from the left stick, even after trying for a few minutes.

Even when I bind it to the LP5 transmitter it acts similarly in that it will take a minute or two before I can get the blades to spin with that transmitter, then once they start working it seems fine, so I think there is some sort of an intermittent issue going on. Any ideas? I mean if it binds to the DX6i well enough to control the servo's, then it's bound properly right? And the fact that the bird doesn't respond to throttle inputs may be irrelevant, right? I'm not sure what to think about what's going on here. I need the help from you CX2 experts. Thanks!!
d_train is offline Find More Posts by d_train
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,153 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert at this or anything else, but here's a couple of things to look at....
It's always a possibility that a bad connection can occur (e.g. with one or both of the motor connectors), but it can also be something else.
Whether you use the Dx6i or the LP5DSM, make sure you have the throttle trim set to its lowest position, otherwise you may have problems getting the throttle to "arm" correctly in the 3-in-1.
The heli will bind in Acro or Heli mode.
Also, while Acro mode is the simplest way to set your Dx6i transmitter, there are quite a few folks who use Heli mode, as it then enables use of a throttle hold function. Note that it's throttle hold (TH/Mix switch) not throttle cut (button on front). In Heli mode, swash must be set to 1-servo 90
This is not meant to contradict in any way what E2 has said, it's merely the setup that some use.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2013
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Most heli pilots pick up on flying planes better than plane pilots pick up on flying helis.

On a 3 channel plane (mode 2), throttle is on the left stick. On the right stick, left and right commands the rudder. This turns the plane. Push the stick forward and the plane decends. Pull the stick back and that makes the plane ascend. The difference between the 3 channel and 4 channel is that the rudder and throttle are on the left stick (4 ch.) while the 3 channel the rudder is your (AIL/heli) is on your right stick.

If you have a programable radio you can put rudder on both the left stick and right stick. This keeps your brain/hand coordination of the rudder on the left stick (as in 4 ch.) flying. I hope this makes some sense. I suck at explaining things

Mike.
So the 4ch does not have more movements than the 3ch like it does on heli? The controls seem easy enough from what you've explain, I think I would go for 4ch since I'm use to flying 4ch heli's.
Old Today, 06:48 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,820 Posts
Quote:
So the 4ch does not have more movements than the 3ch like it does on heli? The controls seem easy enough from what you've explain, I think I would go for 4ch since I'm use to flying 4ch heli's.
When you add ailerons, turning becomes very different. As with a coax, you can do turns just using the rudder and it stays flat and turns easily. When you add ailerons, it tips the plane. I guess my problem is reading that many guys say they turn just using ailerons. In my experience so far, it wants to tip and dive into the ground when doing that. I have to learn to use rudder and aileron to turn and I'm having a hard time of it.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Today, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2008
11,278 Posts
Vince, check your PM
Old Today, 12:11 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,244 Posts
Chaps post about most heli guys picking up on flying planes easier was most certainly the case with me. I was doing rolls, loops, and side ways low passes the very first time I flew. And flew one inverted the entire flight the second time out. Talk about boring. By flight three I was playing with nose up hovering the plane. We have about 500 guys that fly planes in my area, and only half a dozen heli guys. The plane guys constantly tell us they tried and couldn't do it. With a cp version that is. Coaxials are very very easy comparably to fly.

If you are using the old LP5 tx (I still have a new one setting in my closet after all these years), most slow starts with the heli can usually be attributed to the receiver waiting to see a low throttle signal before take off. Make sure your trim switches are all at neutral! If this isn't the case then it is an rx issue, and I wouldn't trust that unit at all. From the sound of the way the thing behaves I would immediately rule out a short.

Personally I hated the fp helis myself. It was a more advantageous move to go directly to cp with a flight control system that had self level. Then they fly somewhat like a coaxial but are still far far more nimble, and without all the quirks I had to design around when building my coax's. Not including the cp versions, which actually flew as well if not better than any single rotor cp heli I have owned.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis