SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Help!
Pressing a Li-Po battery to make it fit?

Below is an e-mail conversation I had with a customer support representative from http://toysheli.com.

Me
To
support@topstoys.com
Sep 19 at 4:41 PM

The two 7.4v 600mAh battery does not fit into the battery compartment of the Avatar YD-711 helicopter. The length of the Li-Po is suppose to be 40mm or at least should be less then 46mm but I measured it and its closer to 48-50mm. I attached some pictures of the Li-Po next to the Avatar battery compartment and with a millimeter ruler. If you have ones that fit please measure it properly that it will fit and ship it to me otherwise I would like a full refund. I waited patiently for one month and got it today (9/19/14) and was very disappointed that it does not fit. Please respond promptly with full refund or exchange (only if it fits!) and if you want a return please sent me a label because this is a seller product issue and not a customer change of mind return.

Robert Wu

Sellers Response:
support
To
Me
Sep 19 at 9:25 PM
ok,I will check it and ship you new item again

Sellers second response:
support
To
Me
Sep 19 at 9:25 PM
ok,I will check it and ship you new item again

Sellers third response:
support
To
Me
Today at 2:56 AM
hi,could you press it and make it a little shorter?

All sellers responses are within 6 hours of my original email and the third response ask me if I could press it to make it fit (“make it a little shorter”). I am new to Li-Po batteries and pressing on it seems to be a bad idea to me because from what I know they are sensitive to any damage like dropping them on the floor. Is what the seller asking me to do wrong or is that ok to do?
iBelieveIcanFly is offline Find More Posts by iBelieveIcanFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Sorry this was the sellers second response:

support
To
Me
Sep 19 at 9:39 PM
I will ship you the original batteries today again,I am very sorry for it

support
Old Today, 11:38 AM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Here are some of the pictures I have taken an attached to the email to the customer support as proof.
Old Today, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
So, does anyone have an answer? Pressing the Li-Po to fit a reasonable request from customer support or is that a very bad idea and why? Since I believe its not a good thing but I have no concrete facts about that please provide expert knowledge so I may respond with conviction. Thank you for your help.
Old Today, 02:34 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,540 Posts
It's a very bad idea to squash a LiPo to make it fit.

The reasons are (1) you may damage some of the connections if you squash the end where all the wires are, and possibly even short-circuit something and, (2) if you squash the cells themselves you are highly likely to damage them internally.

At best, you'll shorten the life of your battery; at worst it'll go up in flames due to a short-circuit or internal damage.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Today, 03:00 PM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,418 Posts
Time to find another supplier.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Today, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
It's a very bad idea to squash a LiPo to make it fit.

The reasons are (1) you may damage some of the connections if you squash the end where all the wires are, and possibly even short-circuit something and, (2) if you squash the cells themselves you are highly likely to damage them internally.

At best, you'll shorten the life of your battery; at worst it'll go up in flames due to a short-circuit or internal damage.
Thanks again Abenn. I will respond to the supplier with the information you provided here.
Old Today, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
Time to find another supplier.

Les

It's really hard to find a replacement Li-Po for the Avatar YT-711 and when I found it I made the order with this supplier. Too bad it didn't work out though. I have a hard time finding a good supplier for this replacement battery, does anyone know of one that has it?

The original battery is a S2 7.4v 600mAh mini JST L: 40 H: 17 W: 25mm
The battery compartment fits battery size within 45x17x28.