HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2014, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,913 Posts
Question
3 blade prop to replace APC?

So I'm looking to try a 3 blade replacement for the 11x5.5 prop (Looks just like an APC but doesn't say it) on my MPX Pilatus. I was looking at a Master Airscrew 10x6. (I don't see a 10x5.5 online.)

So I understand I need to reduce size or pitch when going to 3 blade, and I'll be checking with my wattmeter, though I have yet to find a manual or specs for the motor that comes in the plane. But I was wondering, with such a significant difference in the blade design, how big a difference is a Master Airscrew compared to that APC? The MA blades seem so much smaller in chord, and hardly any increase in pitch at the base. I don't mind a small loss of performance, but don't want it to be useless.

Just looking for anyone with experience trying a change like this or experience with MA 3 blade props. I don't mind experimenting a bit, but looking for a little insight before I start. I searched here and didn't find much to help in this case. Thanks!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2014, 11:25 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,790 Posts
leave the pitch the same and reduce the size: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=2
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:00 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,913 Posts
Thanks cmdl. I was going with the rule of thumb I've heard before, to go down an inch in either diameter or pitch. Having some math to go by is more scientific. But my concern is how the MA blades look like toothpicks compared to the APC blades. I would think that would have some effect. I guess ill find out, as MA doesn't have 5.5"pitch props, so I'll be trying a 10x6x3 MA to replace the 11x5.5 APC. What the heck. I'll just go for it and see what the watt meter says, and see how it affects the performance.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:19 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,194 Posts
That motor? and how these slipo using?

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:52 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,913 Posts
The motor is a Multiplex "PERMAX BL-O 3530-1100". I haven't been able to find a manual or specifications for it yet. Using a 3s battery.I put the wattmeter on it once after a flight and I think it was pulling around 24 amps. I'll check again with a full battery and compare with the new prop when i get it.