HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:16 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
338 Posts
Suggestion
RCG Search Engine

You folks deserve a big kudos for what you have created here in RCG. There is a huge volume of information here but it is hard to search. The search engine could use some improvements. If you search for a 123 ESC. You will get every instance of 1, 2 or 3 in any post. It becomes a useless search. It would be useful to be able to use quotes to isolate an exact configuration of characters.

Cheers
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Take on a Ground Station
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:14 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,296 Posts
Hi, thanks for the post. You can click the Advance Search link and have many more options for searching to make it easier to search for what you want. There is even an Exact Phrase search option, but it was reported last week with a bug. The techs are looking into that currently.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:57 AM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Hi, thanks for the post. You can click the Advance Search link and have many more options for searching to make it easier to search for what you want. There is even an Exact Phrase search option, but it was reported last week with a bug. The techs are looking into that currently.
I use the advanced search but let's say you want to know about a tarot 650. You won't get a lot if you have too detailed a search phrase because it is too specific. So it would be nice to keep the engine from searching everything with 6, 5 and 0 yet not be exactly "Tarot 650 motor mounts", which might not yield anything. But by searching for- Tarot "650" "motor mounts" -, you will get everything with th word tarot the number 650 and the phrase "motor mounts" but not get every single post with any of the number 6, 5 or 0 or the words motor and mount separately which is probably not germain and will yield too many results.

Another feature, which might be available and I have not noticed it, is to be notified if there is a response to a comment you have made on a thread. Not subscribing to all changes to the thread just if a comment was made quoting you. I find that if I answer a question for someone on a random thread I have to check back to see if they have a further question. If I forget about it they may have asked a further question and I never get back to them.

Cheers and keep up the good work.
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Take on a Ground Station
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:08 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,296 Posts
Great comments and suggestions. We appreciate the feedback. The techs are constantly working on ways to improve the usability of the site.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:31 AM
RCGroups tech support
Joined May 2002
3,427 Posts
Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
If you search for a 123 ESC. You will get every instance of 1, 2 or 3 in any post. It becomes a useless search. It would be useful to be able to use quotes to isolate an exact configuration of characters.
Search engine doesn't break "123" into the individual characters unless they are separated by some other characters, for example 1/2/3. Does clicking on this link and then "Search Now" does that for you?
Mike Kolesnikov is offline Find More Posts by Mike Kolesnikov
Administrator