SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2014, 03:14 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Mini-Review
AOMWAY RX004 32CH 5.8G VRX + DVR w/ Playback functions

INTRODUCTION

In last december, AOMWAY offered a first release of its RX004, i.e. a 5.8G VRX with 32CH in order to compatible with all VTX of the market and the more important feature including a DVR.
Unfortunatly, this first batch was suffering with some issues : frame rate dropping during recording, cropped image, Chronometer occupying a wide place, not compatible with antenna tracker. Even if with a new firware, the three first issues were almost solved, AOMWAY delivered a second batch of the RX004 (V1.1,less than 2 months later) correcting all these issues. They clearly listened user's feedbacks (see full review of rev 1.0 & rev 1.1 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060751).
Today, I am reviewing the third edition/revision of the RX004 (v1.2). This new one is offering some new functionalities as well as correcting some cosmetic issues.
The main new feature added is the capacity to playback recorded files. A very important feature when you are practicing long range FPV. In this case, you need to replay the last moments before the crash to retrieve the last GPS coordinates.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x RX004
+ 1 x 5.8G dipole antenna (SMA connector)
+ 1 x jack to RCA male (video+audio) cable
+ 1 x jack to RCA female (video+audio) cable
+ 1 x power cable (need to solder your favorite connector)

OVERVIEW

The RX004 is a 5.8G VRX with 32 channels, more precisely working or 4 differents bands with 8 channels for each : Band A(denoted FR3/Boscam),B(denoted FR2),C(denoted FR4/Fatshark),E(denoted FR1/Boscam).
It means that it's compatible with all VTX in the market.

The frequency selection is performed from the top panel with two round buttons

The main extra feature that is offering the RX004 is the presence of a builtin DVR recording in D1 format (720x576@49fps, AVI format).
The documentation is announcing that the DVR is accepting micro-SD card up to 64Gb. I personally performed some tests with 4gb and 8Gb class 4 SD-cards. The VRX have two AV outputs denoted AV1 and AV2 respecitvely.
Since the V1.1 revision, the AV2 have a direct link from the VRX chip and not passing trough the Video PU as for the AV1. The VRX is scaling 137g w/o antenna

and 148g with the shipped dipole antenna.

With this new version, the input voltage range is [7V-24V] (indication written) so easely accepting LiPo from 2S up to 5S.

I personally used a 2S LiPo and the RX004 with such LiPo is absolutly not warming.
You will need to solder your favorite connector for the provided power connector. I personaly soldered a JST one.
One extra feature of the RX004 is to remove "blue screen" of any monitor, offering instead a more confortable "white snow".

The RX004 have a main PCB where is attached the VRX chip and a daughter board for the video processor

The main video processor is based one the STK2520BLQG chip (the same as for rev 1.0 and rev 1.1)

and the VRX chip is referenced OMW200RX(V1.0)

USAGE EXPERIENCE

When you powered on the RX004, a beep is emmited and a welcome/logo message is displayed.

To immediatly start recording push briefly on the wheel button and push again briefly to stop recording.
When recording mode is on, the bottom red light is flashing slowly. If you are using the AV1, a small red dot point is also displayed on the screen. Since the rev v1.1, the AV2 is offering a clear, more pricize video (direct connexion).
More AV2 don't show any frame dropping while record mode is one. Snapshot example taken with AV2 of RX004:

and is have exactely the same dimension that is offering the Boscam TS832 for example:

So prefer this output for your FPV session. Whatever, AV1 or AV2 is used, the recorded file is the same.
The AV1 is passing through the video processor in order to display OSD informations (red flashing point, chronometer and of course Playback menu).
The video signal from AV1 is more bright and less precise (probably there is a low pass filter somewhere)
more, the image is partially cropped (I estimated around 4-5% of the total surface). Here the snapshot example taken with AV1 of RX004:

When pressing the wheel more than 1s, it's entering in the main menu

where 3 options can be selected:

i) entering in playback submenu
ii) format the SD-car
iii) select language (english/chinese)

When already entered in the main menu, you can:
-Enter in playback mode push the wheel briefly (< 0.5s ) then
i) Play current file : push the wheel briefly (< 0.5s)
ia) During play, turn wheel on right to increase speed (x1,x2,x4,x8)
ib) During play, turn wheel on left to decrease speed

ii) skip next file : turn wheel on right
-Exit playback mode : push the wheel longer (> 1s)
-Exit menu from a playback : push the wheel briefly (< 0.5s)

AOMWAY RX004 menu navigation (1 min 26 sec)

The playback of a recorded file have a framerate about 20fps according to my estimation. IMHO, the wheel manipulation is not really adapted for large hands and have to be done with some precaution.

My RX004 have a PAL firmware installed (I attached the PAL and NTSC firmware files) with a 5:4 aspect ratio and video size is 720x576 running at 49fps.

All videos have an excellent quality without any artefacts especially on fast transition. This is really a good point. With the rev 1.2, they solved to sound level issue (too loud/saturating with rev 1.1)
The sensibilty is announced to be around -95dB wich is excellent. In practice, the AOMWAY have a very good sensibilty at least as good as my RC802/RC832 I own. For example, I managed to have a 850m link with a 200mW VTX (TX58200) in LOS with basic CL antennas and with ground clearance of 1m60. I could have more if the road was not turning (no more in LOS)

I performed some tests to quantify framerate dropping and image cropping of AV1 versus AV2 with a full FPV + OSD (miniOSD flashed to uOSD) system. As you can see, even plugged in AV1 the framerare is quiet good (around 22 fps)
and the cropping image is still displaying all OSD informations. It means that AV1 can be used without any real problems.

RX004 : AV1 captured by easycap (0 min 32 sec)

RX004 : AV2 captured by easycap (0 min 37 sec)

RX004 : Recorded file when AV1 is used (0 min 27 sec)

RX004 : Recorded file when AV2 is used (0 min 30 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

The rev 1.2 of the RX004 is for me a really nice product: 32CH VRX, great sensibility, excellent builtin DVR quality and now is offering some basic playback capacity. This RX004 can replace advantageously a TS832+HobbyKing DVR-SD combo. I noticed only minor issues (wheel manipulation quiet difficult) and for me is representing a perfect compact VRX. As features request, maybe in a rev 1.3, it should include a miniUSB slot (coz I am lazy to remove each time the SD-card) and a RSSI output to plug the RX004 in your favorite diversity system (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127478).

PROS

+ 32CH VRX compatible with all VTX in the market
+ Excellent sensibility
+ Excellent DVR part with high frame rate
+ Playback functionaliy
+ Remove blue screen
+ Large voltage range [2S-5S]
+ Good price

CONS

- Cropped video in AV1 (due to the video processor)
- Wheel manipulation not adapted for large hands

VIDEO UNBOXING AND TESTS

AOMWAY RX004 5.8G 32CH VRX + DVR with playback functions Unboxing and review (18 min 28 sec)

Firware update instructions

If you want to flash a firmware:

i) copy the fw file (.bin) at the root of the SD-card
ii) power on your RX004 and wait some moments (until some indication is given)
iii) delete the fw file

EDIT 04/24/14
- Added documentation zip file
- English typos (remain a lot I know ...)
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 24, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Reserved for mod/informations/videos
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
nice test
PFV518 is offline Find More Posts by PFV518
Old Apr 24, 2014, 04:19 AM
RC amateur
Russia, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Great job! Thanks!

what about antenna? i have same one . what is her gain?
Have you a docs about AOMWAY antennas? because on foto in internet and shops i saw another type.
Alex
Fireniko is offline Find More Posts by Fireniko
Old Apr 24, 2014, 04:58 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireniko View Post
Great job! Thanks!

what about antenna? i have same one . what is her gain?
Have you a docs about AOMWAY antennas? because on foto in internet and shops i saw another type.
Alex
I guess, the gain is standard for such dipole antenna around 2-3dBi. Whatever it's preferable in pratice to use some CL/SPW antennas, so I didn't focus too much on this stick antenna.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 07:09 AM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
395 Posts
How much ?
Where to buy?
In stock ?
Thanks
632bigduke is offline Find More Posts by 632bigduke
Old Apr 24, 2014, 07:48 AM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat
Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
513 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Now my DVR works great in NTSC. I would still rather have the non-wheel version but at least I can use it now. There is a little cropping on the sides but I can live with it.

GG
Gadget-Geek is offline Find More Posts by Gadget-Geek
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget-Geek View Post
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Now my DVR works great in NTSC. I would still rather have the non-wheel version but at least I can use it now. There is a little cropping on the sides but I can live with it.

GG
In AV2, you should have any cropping... Check my comparaison photos with the Boscam TS832. By the way, when flying use AV2..... Use AV1, only to playback
I am glad you liked my review . For me this rev 3 is a really good product
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:24 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,523 Posts
Is this the same VidRx/DVR Chanyote66 reviewed also?
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Is this the same VidRx/DVR Chanyote66 reviewed also?
This is the rev 03 including some playback functionalities for the DVR part. Chanyoto66 reviewed the rev 02 (w/o wheel button)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:02 AM
RC amateur
Russia, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
the gain is standard for such dipole antenna around 2-3dBi
i saw you add docs, there those antennas had a 5 dB. So i'm pleased (thought 3 dB- got 5 dB)
My Aomway was buy on BevRc dot com at last week

Alex
Fireniko is offline Find More Posts by Fireniko
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireniko View Post
i saw you add docs, there those antennas had a 5 dB. So i'm pleased (thought 3 dB- got 5 dB)
My Aomway was buy on BevRc dot com at last week

Alex
Well I was not sure for the 3dBi ... and don't forget that higher gain antennas means also more directional ones too ...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:26 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,523 Posts
Is there a USA vendor for the v3?
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 24, 2014, 09:34 AM
BAH MINI H 4 Life
Joined Sep 2013
395 Posts
AOMWAY RX004 32CH 5.8G VRX + DVR w/ Playback functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Is there a USA vendor for the v3?

I asked the same thing 3 post up
I guess we're going to need to google it if we want 1
There's 3 post after mine is I guess there's a lot of info but NO LINK TO BUY lolo
I think I've found it
http://www.fpvstyle.com/index.php/fp...r-w-cable.html

IS THIS VERSION 3 ????
632bigduke is offline Find More Posts by 632bigduke
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:30 AM
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
I guess, the gain is standard for such dipole antenna around 2-3dBi. Whatever it's preferable in pratice to use some CL/SPW antennas, so I didn't focus too much on this stick antenna.
We are now is 5 db gain configuration. Our company own development, the effect is very good.
PFV518 is offline Find More Posts by PFV518