HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, TX, Donna
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Discussion
first crash.

I had just flown my very first plane for the first time and i hit a large pointy rock hidden in the grass. man am i pissed off :P can you replace wings on a champ? i dont think it will affect performance anyway.Name: first crash.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 236.7 KB
Description:
southtexican is offline Find More Posts by southtexican
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Don't just think about replace the wing, it can be fix. By the way, inforce the wing at the area where it attach to the fuselage, wing tip with clear package tape, inforce the tail with white glue mod etc. Your Champ will last quite a while.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, TX, Donna
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
i need to look up this enforcing business. thanks for the tip edmond.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:54 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,939 Posts
I'd call it "reinforcing" personally. I would suggest fiberglass tape, or strapping tape as I've heard it called sometimes.

Your first plane will get damaged and it will eventually look like it wen't through the war. It's something you'll just have to expect. All of the parts of the champ can be bought to be replaced.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:14 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
That's not a crash but a hard landing! You only need a little foam safe CA and a shot of kicker and your back in the air in 30 seconds!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, TX, Donna
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
foam safe CA? shot of kicker?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:34 PM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
CA glue that says "Foam Safe" on the bottle and the kicker cures the CA instantly. Go to any hobby store and just ask for foam CA and kicker. They will know exactly what you want. Regular CA will eat away some foams.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:37 PM
United States, TX, Donna
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
alright thanks for the clear up colby.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:44 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
CA glue that says "Foam Safe" on the bottle and the kicker cures the CA instantly. Go to any hobby store and just ask for foam CA and kicker. They will know exactly what you want. Regular CA will eat away some foams.
YES... "Foam Safe" CA & kicker. get some and take it with you when you fly !! fix minor stuff in 10 seconds....back to flyin' !
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:46 PM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
No problem and that is a very easy fix. You really need to rip that wing into two pieces before you even think of replacing. You will be surprised at how much you can glue on a little foamie like that. Always keep every piece you break off because you can fit it all back with CA most of the time.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:24 PM
United States, TX, Donna
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
well it looks bent backwards but its actually almost compressed inwards. it was a really sharp edge i hit lol. but i'll see what i can do.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
379 Posts
Psh thats nothing...
Im surprised my champ still flies. I've rebuilt the tail twice. Cracked the glue on the motor mount and had to re glue it. Had a heli take a chunk out of my wing. The champ is prefect for begginners because its a freaking tank.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:37 PM
Kevin
Joined Dec 2012
54 Posts
My 7 year old splashed... and I do mean splashed hard our champ 23 times before I wasn't able to put it back together..Went down and got a new air frame for less then $40 and put the F4U guts in it... cut in the ailerons in and off to the park... over 40 flights by a 7 year old now and flying like a Champ....
Radical RC is offline Find More Posts by Radical RC
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:44 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
Psh thats nothing...
Im surprised my champ still flies. I've rebuilt the tail twice. Cracked the glue on the motor mount and had to re glue it. Had a heli take a chunk out of my wing. The champ is prefect for begginners because its a freaking tank.
In my state there used to be a show for pickup trucks. the rattiest, ugliest, beat up peice of crap would win.

I think we should have a ugliest, most beat up Champ contest. Call it the Champ Crash Rash contest. I have seen some that were really messed up and still flew!

Don't let it bug you, just enjoy the learning process and then rebuild it later, much later.....

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Last edited by payne9999; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:47 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexican View Post
i need to look up this enforcing business. thanks for the tip edmond.
man thats not a crash, that was a hard landing with a rock in the way.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron