SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:19 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
Beautiful model Doug. Thanks for getting the video going.

Tom
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:59 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Nice steady flight... No sign of problems... Looks good... Undercarriage tested well...
Looks like a success Doug!

I'd never have expected two props to be that different in power and current draw though... could the x10s have been partially stalled?

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:46 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska2000 View Post
Beautiful model Doug. Thanks for getting the video going.

Tom
I need to sit down with someone who can teach me how to use a computer!!! hehe.
The thanks should go to Rob for editing etc and getting it on youtube. Now I have to thank you for moving it here. It is appreciated. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:04 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
Nice steady flight... No sign of problems... Looks good... Undercarriage tested well...
Looks like a success Doug!

I'd never have expected two props to be that different in power and current draw though... could the x10s have been partially stalled?

Robin
This not the first time I've seen MAS props fail to deliver the goods. My original trial was my 96" Turbo Beaver with a 15/8/3 Mas. It did fly, but had no climbing power, made 1275 watts. I changed to an EMP 15/8/3 and power went up to 1425w, plane flew with more authority at every throttle setting.
I think the 16/8/3 Emp's are definitely worth a shot here. The choice of motors this time around may be causing some grief, the 320kv allows the motors to turn 6100rpm at wot. They both showed identical rpms,I may be better off with motors that have a 400kv on 6s, maybe allowing the plane to fly at 1/2 throttle thus greatly reducing the amp draw to maintain flight -- ie, more flight time.
If your referring to the huge power output difference I found after the first attempt to fly, that was my fault for not matching the esc's pwm and start modes!!
I really wish Emp or others would get serious about supplying a full range of electric propellers. The choices are so limited as to be holding our sport back.
No more MAS props for me!!
Somebody please make 16/10-12pitch three bladed props!!!!!!! Copy the EMP's design ( the do it all the time). Build them strickly for electric, NO cross breeds for gas/ electric. There, I have had my rant for today. Now I'm off to the field to FLY!! Doug B
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Well have a good one!

I've had a disastrous morning. Two flights... two damaged models. 1 pilot error, 1 complete electronics failure. Now I'm off to the workshop to try and find out what went wrong!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:59 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,343 Posts
Enjoyed the video Doug!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:37 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
391 Posts
Great job Doug. Looks so nice both on the ground and in the air!
Ducky22 is offline Find More Posts by Ducky22
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
This not the first time I've seen MAS props fail to deliver the goods. My original trial was my 96" Turbo Beaver with a 15/8/3 Mas. It did fly, but had no climbing power, made 1275 watts. I changed to an EMP 15/8/3 and power went up to 1425w, plane flew with more authority at every throttle setting.
I think the 16/8/3 Emp's are definitely worth a shot here. The choice of motors this time around may be causing some grief, the 320kv allows the motors to turn 6100rpm at wot. They both showed identical rpms,I may be better off with motors that have a 400kv on 6s, maybe allowing the plane to fly at 1/2 throttle thus greatly reducing the amp draw to maintain flight -- ie, more flight time.
If your referring to the huge power output difference I found after the first attempt to fly, that was my fault for not matching the esc's pwm and start modes!!
I really wish Emp or others would get serious about supplying a full range of electric propellers. The choices are so limited as to be holding our sport back.
No more MAS props for me!!
Somebody please make 16/10-12pitch three bladed props!!!!!!! Copy the EMP's design ( the do it all the time). Build them strickly for electric, NO cross breeds for gas/ electric. There, I have had my rant for today. Now I'm off to the field to FLY!! Doug B
Doug,

take a look at the Troy built model site for larger & more expensive props.....
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
Owen Sound, Ontario
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts
photos

Here's a few shots from our club event yesterday. Two great flights!

Paul
Paulofthenorth is online now Find More Posts by Paulofthenorth
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:34 AM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,247 Posts
Very nice! Well done.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jul 14, 2013, 08:18 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,343 Posts
Sweet! It looks great and I'm really impressed with the spinners. I hate making spinners.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:45 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Thank you all for your kind remarks and posts. The pilot (Rob) gets the credit here for the wonderful flights (2). He had to retrim from first flight but had the plane flying at 1/2 throttle for approx. 4 minutes. We found he had flown the entire flight with the Bombay 1/2 open!
The second flight with the doors closed resulted in another trim adjustment, definitely a little more speed. All minor, several low passes (15ft) over the field rolling towards the pits had the crownd giving Rob a good round of applause on the taxi out after landing for both flights.
I thank Paul for the pics put up here, I believe our other Paul got some video of the second flight.
I'm impressed with the flight characteristics, really smooth. Fellow flyers from KW Flying Dutchmen all invited the Mosquito to the fall scale rallye.
Paul (the pic guy) also gets all the credit for mfg' the spinners. Big spinner (4 1/8" dia) are hard to keep light and true. These work superbly!
Several people mentioned how scale (speed) it looked in the air, esp on the low passes which where all done around 1/2 to 5/8 throttle. Time to recharge the batteries and see where we are now! Doug B
Old Jul 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
485 Posts
All she needs now to totally blow their collective minds is the Sweet sound of twin Merlins singing duet..
jt
jpt62 is online now Find More Posts by jpt62