HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehaw24 View Post
What is it called, Im looking for the cable not the copper coated wire..
It's RG316 coaxial, but any 50 ohm coaxial will do. Radio shack is probably the only one likely to have it, I get mine on ebay with the SMA connectors already crimped on.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:22 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
It's RG316 coaxial, but any 50 ohm coaxial will do. Radio shack is probably the only one likely to have it, I get mine on ebay with the SMA connectors already crimped on.
Radio Shack will probably have the SMA connectors, but likely not the RG316 wire. You may find it at a local ham radio store?
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehaw24 View Post
What is it called, Im looking for the cable not the copper coated wire..

Here you go...

item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150590703162&index=21&nav=SEARCH&n id=22318907212

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, CA, Hesperia
Joined Dec 2011
263 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I ended up buying everything i needed from radio shack, I got the sma connectors and the cable is a RG58,Here is a picture.
And video with the antennas, Im verry happy with them now i can go anywhere i want without problems..
Witespy quad FPV with clover leaf antennas (3 min 34 sec)
thehaw24 is offline Find More Posts by thehaw24
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:15 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,434 Posts
got my cables form eBay

spent last night making them
Skew Planer Wheel and Cloverleaf Build (1 min 42 sec)

Hopefully they work good.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:40 AM
Slovenija, Murska Sobota
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
a little bit of my creativity....

building Cloverleaf and Skew-Planar antennas (16 min 3 sec)
dkulcar2 is offline Find More Posts by dkulcar2
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Alex, Markus, Hugo

I'm interested in building a 2.4g SPW for my Frsky Rx but would like to use the existing coax because of the ufl/ipx connectors on them. The other coaxs mentioned are very heavy and I'm afraid that moving the antenna around could disconnect it without my noticing. The diameter is 1.13 mm [OD insulation] and I can't find a name or label for the stuff. So the question is; what effect would this smaller diameter coax have on measurements, lengths etc? I have .031 brass rod for this use.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:59 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Alex, Markus, Hugo

I'm interested in building a 2.4g SPW for my Frsky Rx but would like to use the existing coax because of the ufl/ipx connectors on them. The other coaxs mentioned are very heavy and I'm afraid that moving the antenna around could disconnect it without my noticing. The diameter is 1.13 mm [OD insulation] and I can't find a name or label for the stuff. So the question is; what effect would this smaller diameter coax have on measurements, lengths etc? I have .031 brass rod for this use.

Richard
Richard,

You can use this cable as it's also 50 ohms. The difference to the bigger ones is that it has a much higher damping factor, alas make sure to only have it as short as possible. Good luck with soldering it to the antenna lobes!

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Richard,

Good luck with soldering it to the antenna lobes!

Markus
Thanks Markus

Yes I've been mulling over how to do that, must make a jig of some sort. I have some brass tubing that just a hair larger than the outer diameter of the cable and will try soldering to that [lot of heat] then solder that to the shield [gentle heat]. I plan to solder only the top and have the tube go down over the outer insulation. Is this good or no?

A second question regarding that is if this brass tube is extended down over the outer insulation about 20mm [28mm maybe better?] similar to the balun on a linear dipole will it adversely affect the antenna? The idea is to use it as tension relief.

Last resort is to use a ufl/ipx to sma adapter cable Frsky others but I've not found one yet.

Richard
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:15 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Thanks Markus

Yes I've been mulling over how to do that, must make a jig of some sort. I have some brass tubing that just a hair larger than the outer diameter of the cable and will try soldering to that [lot of heat] then solder that to the shield [gentle heat]. I plan to solder only the top and have the tube go down over the outer insulation. Is this good or no?

A second question regarding that is if this brass tube is extended down over the outer insulation about 20mm [28mm maybe better?] similar to the balun on a linear dipole will it adversely affect the antenna? The idea is to use it as tension relief.

Last resort is to use a ufl/ipx to sma adapter cable Frsky others but I've not found one yet.

Richard
Richard,

ufl/ipx adaptors can be found on ebay.

The idea with the tubing is not a good one as in fact would form a balun which you don't want with CL and SPW antennas. You could make a very small washer though. That's what I actually use on my antennas. You could cut off about one milimeter of the mesh and route that through the washer, then bend the mesh out and solder it onto the washer. This gives you a platform that is cabable of dissipiating some of the heat onto which you can solder the GND connections of the lobes. The HF influence with this "horizontal" little ring is acording to my experience negletable.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Thanks for the reply Markus

The tube idea started to look like more of a pain the more I looked at it so thats good to know, I like the washer idea. Copper washers are available here if a small enough one can be found. There was also someone who made a Y or X out of copper that I could do otherwise. Been playing with it today making jigs etc. The real pain is the feed wire which is microscopic in gauge.

Richard
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
So whatís the best way to mount a 980mHz SPW antenna for a receiver? I like to do FPV from inside my car Ė comfy seats and am wondering what the requirements are for a simple solution. Do I need to have the antenna up on a pole, or can I have it on my ground station box on the carís roof or hood?

Cheers, Michael.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So whatís the best way to mount a 980mHz SPW antenna for a receiver? I like to do FPV from inside my car Ė comfy seats and am wondering what the requirements are for a simple solution. Do I need to have the antenna up on a pole, or can I have it on my ground station box on the carís roof or hood?

Cheers, Michael.
I'd recommend up on a stand about 2-3 feet above the car's roof. This will minimize reflections from the car.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Quote:
Richard,
. The HF influence with this "horizontal" little ring is acording to my experience negletable.Markus
Would that also be true at the other end? The wire on the active side is micro size as in 3 or 4 strands of 46 gauge or something. Hooking the ends as Alex does just overwhelms this little wire and any tension on it from the elements can snap it off at the exit from the shielding. I'm thinking that if I put hooks on facing down and out, bring them into the washer from the top, solder as such then that could be squeezed down to the center wire and soldered, this could work.

Richard
PS. would like to avoid buying separate u.fl to SMA adapters cables
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
You could make a very small washer though. That's what I actually use on my antennas. You could cut off about one milimeter of the mesh and route that through the washer, then bend the mesh out and solder it onto the washer. This gives you a platform that is cabable of dissipiating some of the heat onto which you can solder the GND connections of the lobes. The HF influence with this "horizontal" little ring is acording to my experience negletable.

HTH

Markus
Markus,

I've been thinking about doing this on my next antenna build. I could probably make a tiny washer out of a piece of copper or brass, using a drill press, by just drilling the proper size hole, trimming the O.D. to the rough shape, and then mounting the piece in the drill chuck on a screw and sanding or filing it round.

But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source of pre-made small washers of the size we'd need to use on RG316 cable?

Thanks,

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf