Old May 20, 2010, 08:06 PM
Planes & Falconry my passions
New York
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
Help!
Hovering

Hello.
Can you guys give me some tips to learn to hover??

I am flying the typhoon 2 3d.

Do I have to use the large or the short Prop??

Thank you so much for your help.
Feliperc is offline Find More Posts by Feliperc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The larger prop.

Get it up high, you'll want to be a few mistakes up.

Fly from level flight, hit full throttle, and pull up. Slowly pull back the throttle and keep the plane facing you. You'll hit a point where the plane will want to torque roll out.

The more you practice trying to hold the plane vertically at the same height, the better you will get
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 21, 2010, 02:42 AM
Joined Jul 2009
46 Posts
Find a good used flight sim. It beats building a million planes and destroying equipment.

Stay away from variable winds!
TRat is offline Find More Posts by TRat
Old May 21, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I tried learning on that plane but it just didn't have the power. If you can afford it, I would recommend building a 28" Slofly with EPP. I have learned very quickly on that. I can hover right in front of me and if I lose orientation or control, I just throttle down and let it fall without worrying about it breaking. It has hit the ground over 50 times without any damage.
Jtupnsmoke is offline Find More Posts by Jtupnsmoke
Old May 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. It took me about 16 months to get it... Lots of time on the simulator. There's no magic bullet. You need to be managing all four controls at once -- rudder, ailerons, elevator and throttle.

A light, floaty plane helps, a lot! BP Hobbies sells these cheap flat-wing Depron foamies that fly great. They're cheap enough so that you don't have to worry much about crashing them. (Eg., $20 for a 40 inch airframe.)

Once you feel a bit more confident, try a reasonably large EPP plane like the Flash or Sniper.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old May 21, 2010, 02:29 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Something that helped me was to view the plane at a slight angle rather than looking at it face on. Most people learning to hover prefer to have some altitude. When you do that, because of your spatial relationship, the plane may appear vertical, but the nose will actually be leaning towards you. Having a spotter to tell you when you are actually vertical helps also. While it may be counter intuitive, lower is actually better when learning to hover.

You also need a plane capable of a good hover, the typhoon would not be my choice.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 21, 2010, 04:12 PM
Planes & Falconry my passions
New York
Joined Mar 2010
157 Posts
When I am "Hovering" and the plane begins to do the torque roll, should I let it do it or should I try to keep it in one position?, How would be easier while I am learning?

I have a DX6i, do I have to have the Tx in high rates when I am trying to hover the plane??

I have been practicing in the sim (FS One) but I just find it to hard so I decieded just to practice with the plane really high but like other person just said, is kind of hard to know if you are facing the sky with the prop.

I am new in this hobby (Just 2 years) and I really aprecite the help that you guys are giving me. Thanks alot!!!

Felipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
The larger prop.

Get it up high, you'll want to be a few mistakes up.

Fly from level flight, hit full throttle, and pull up. Slowly pull back the throttle and keep the plane facing you. You'll hit a point where the plane will want to torque roll out.

The more you practice trying to hold the plane vertically at the same height, the better you will get
Feliperc is offline Find More Posts by Feliperc
Old May 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Felipe,
I'm sure you'll get dozens of ideas here, and technically all of them will be correct. As was suggested in an earlier post I would build something out of EPP, if you can swing it. I'm fond of Leadfeather's EPPYak55, but there are others that would work as well. Then, practice, practice, practice, anytime you can. Especially when there is zero wind. I didn't get much out of the simulator (but that was just me), seemed to me that actually being there made a difference. Make sense? I started off with upright harriers, then onto inverted harriers. Once I had those down, hovering was a little easier. Don't forget about the throttle. You'll need to constantly adjust the throttle to maintain height, and go easy on the sticks. Try to input your adjustments before they become necessary, kind of a "Be the Ball" sort of thing. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old May 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliperc View Post
When I am "Hovering" and the plane begins to do the torque roll, should I let it do it or should I try to keep it in one position?, How would be easier while I am learning?
My experience (and I'm just a newb to hovering) is that the entry to the hover is very important. Once the plane is falling off strongly to one side or the other, it's hard to get it back without covering a lot of ground. The trick is to enter cleanly and with a light touch on the controls, and then work to keep it centered -- in all dimensions. Not easy!
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old May 21, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
111 Posts
I also want to say that you should enter a little right aileron when you enter the hover and try to hold a little right aileron through the hover. It'll help prevent any torque rolling. I also reccomend you get rid of that Typhoon 2...it's a piece of, well, you know! Get yourself a cheap foamy and use that. I learned to hover on a DW foamies Gen-x on the third or fourth flight. It's not hard to hover in real life when you've mastered it in the sim.
watchingcarpet is offline Find More Posts by watchingcarpet
Old May 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,224 Posts
I agree with all the suggestions above.

I think the ways to learn hovering can categorized into two groups: one is direct; the other is indirect.

By direct, I mean you know in theory what to do when you plane deviates from the upright hovering state so as to bring the plane back into the upright hovering state. Then in flight, you get into hovering quickly from level flying and try to maintain it. In hovering, the plane has a natural tendency to torque-roll, you can use ailerons to counter it. So, using a plane with good aileron authority can help you maintain your plane's orientation so that you can focus on practicing the stick inputs needed with one plane orientation at a time. At first, you will not be able to maintain the hovering state for long and will be good at certain plane orientation in relation to you but not at others. With practice, you will eventually be comfortable with all the orientations and torque rollling/hovering.

By indirect, I mean you first learn harrier and inverted harrier, and get comfortable with the plane fly in all directions in harrier. Then, try to increase the alpha, i.e., raise the nose even higher, eventually you will get into hovering. When you do high alpha harrier/inverted harrier, the stick inputs needed are very similar to what needed for hovering. In this way, you can learn hovering gradually. If you are patient and perhaps learning with a larger/more expensive plane, maybe this is a better way. Besides, harrier is really fundamental in 3D flying anyway. It makes good sense to learn harriers well before one learns hovering.

Feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old May 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
736 Posts
As others have said practice practice practice!!! I actually was surprised how quickly I learnt to hover once I begam practicing it. I bought a Hyperion Sniper and began trying to hover that, at the start I could hover for about 5 seconds, now I can hold a hover for around 30 seconds.... still learning.

Best way to learn hovering is use a sim and then buy a cheap foamy, and try hovering down low right infront of you.... You will crash a lot learning, but it is the best way. I still can't hover a plane up high, as its just too hard to get the plane perfectly vertical at a long distance.
Mattvr1ck is offline Find More Posts by Mattvr1ck
Old May 22, 2010, 12:11 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Moving the balance point back in the plane should help hovering also. As long as it flies controllably or normal, pretty much, I'd keep pushing the balance point further and further back in small increments. You may have to remove some foam to do so. If you can master hovering this plane, pretty much any other 3d plane will be gravy. LOL
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old May 22, 2010, 05:34 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,971 Posts
One thing that helped me when I first learned to hover was to have a plane that is not so overpowered. This helps to minimize the effects of torque roll, and also helps you to keep from adding too much vertical input. Just enough power to comfortably pull out of the hover seemed to help me, I don't know if this helped others or not.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 22, 2010, 06:35 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
For people reading this and having RealFlight simulator

RealFlight simulator with Electrifly Pluma (expansion pack 5). Very easy to learn to hover. Doesn't take too long before you can hover it right in front of you. Then, you switch to the smallest gym (keep you thight and "on the button"). Keep practicing right in front of you. Then, you pick any harder simulated plane, and harder, and harder. After that, when you go to a real plane, it's really natural. You won't have to think about what to do. All you have to learn is how the real plane react, but sure enough, if you practiced on at least 5 different simulated planes, I found out it's relatively easy to make the switch to a real one.

It's so nice to see that when your real plane is getting out of hovering, your brain and fingers do the correction without really thinking about it.

So simulator, simulator, simulator. Then the real thing.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler