HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:09 AM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
Alert
Another lousy "sale" from nitroplanes and bananahobby for black friday

Well, after naively getting my hopes up thinking either Nitroplanes or Banana Hobby or...GASP...both sites may break trend and actually have some sales worth looking forward to in celebration of Black Friday, I have found that they are both offering more of the same old prices.

While there may be some sort of discount on an item here or there, for the most part, the prices are either still the same or have actually increased!

And don't be fooled by the lure of "free shipping" on orders over $150 at Banana Hobby. They have their prices padded quite well to cover said shipping costs.

Happy shopping to those that still are excited by these "sales." As for myself and many other people, we will be taking our disappointment and continue buying from the same venders we normally do and will not be looking forward to anything from these two roses amidst the thorns.

Sincerely,
Frustrated Consumer
superjon is offline Find More Posts by superjon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
I see the same thing. Last year I bought from them. I don't need ANYTHING so it had better be a good deal. I was going to get one of those backpack jets but I don't want 2!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
nitro and banana are the same thing , they just want ya to think thier diffrent, typical for these chinese outfits
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, PA, Newville
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
yeah I was hoping to get a new pop wing for less . o well .
nismo200sx16 is offline Find More Posts by nismo200sx16
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
I was planning on getting a stinger 64 jet. I may as well just get it from HobbyKing as I originally planned.
superjon is offline Find More Posts by superjon
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjon View Post
I was planning on getting a stinger 64 jet. I may as well just get it from HobbyKing as I originally planned.

Check www.valuehobby.com before doing so...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
nitro and banana are the same thing , they just want ya to think thier diffrent, typical for these chinese outfits
Dude, seriously?

To call Nitroplanes and Banana Hobby "Chinese outfits" is pretty racist! Just because both show Asians working for them in their videos doesn't make them "Chinese". I believe both companies might be owned by Americans who happened to be of Asian descent.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Dude, seriously?

To call Nitroplanes and Banana Hobby "Chinese outfits" is pretty racist! Just because both show Asians working for them in their videos doesn't make them "Chinese". I believe both companies might be owned by Americans who happened to be of Asian descent.
I know what he means, he may be right or wrong, and there's no racism intended. It's an identifier for a TYPE of business model. One that many of us actually like very much most of the time, because it brings us great stuff at great prices! But also one that is about the bottom line and is a little out of touch sometimes with it's customers. I used to order a lot from these nitro guys, but I see nothing I want right now, that's a problem. They also tend to have poor customer service after the sale, and really cannot relate to or even comprehend the subject of customer service and have no idea how it affects future sales. I'm dealing with the same thing right now with airsplat.com, who thought it was ok to send me a substitution without asking me first. Now they wanted me to pay return shipping. It's funny to me, I paid by credit card and will get my money back, they gotta learn not to screw their customers. I think many of us here are really dumbfounded how some of these companies just don't get it. As a middle eastern American, I find that most white Americans will commonly call or describe something by it's foreign element, like Asian beauty store, Chinese hobby e store, Indian/Pakistani convenience store, and there is NO racist intent there at all. Trust me, I know racism, see it every day, and I know the difference.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,138 Posts
Non-PC Ftriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I know what he means, he may be right or wrong, and there's no racism intended. It's an identifier for a TYPE of business model. One that many of us actually like very much most of the time, because it brings us great stuff at great prices! But also one that is about the bottom line and is a little out of touch sometimes with it's customers. I used to order a lot from these nitro guys, but I see nothing I want right now, that's a problem. They also tend to have poor customer service after the sale, and really cannot relate to or even comprehend the subject of customer service and have no idea how it affects future sales. I'm dealing with the same thing right now with airsplat.com, who thought it was ok to send me a substitution without asking me first. Now they wanted me to pay return shipping. It's funny to me, I paid by credit card and will get my money back, they gotta learn not to screw their customers.
Am surprised there isn't moonbat outrage on using the term "Black Friday"
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
I'm sure you all know where the term "black friday" came from. It's an accounting term.

And I think his concern for racism is quite valid and commendable. I just thought my opinion, as a naturalized citizen of the United States (I'm from Iran) had some value here.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:51 AM
Leaf On The Wind
United States, WI, Green Bay
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Dude, seriously?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the products, not the people, as most of the products are probably made in china, shipped to the U.S., and sold out of a U.S. warehouse. At least that's how I understood it.

Pretty much what alfabeast said.
Hoban Washburne is offline Find More Posts by Hoban Washburne
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoban Washburne View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the products, not the people, as most of the products are probably made in china, shipped to the U.S., and sold out of a U.S. warehouse. At least that's how I understood it.

Pretty much what alfabeast said.
No, lets be honest here. Its the owners and a type of business model more than anything else. The products at Tower Hobbies are mostly Chinese as well. But no offense was intended. I'll say it if you all are afraid to. I AM from another country. I have heard much racism toward myself and others and know the difference. No one's knocking Chinese people or culture here. I love my local Chinese businesses. Restaurants, shops, dry cleaning. Where's the racism in that? It's wonderful they are here. Not all Chinese run these businesses. Most work jobs just like we do. And many Indians in my area own gas stations. So what? God bless 'em! Why do stereotypes always have to be racist? I am middle eastern and will gladly trade stereotypes with any other minority group.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
I like Runnnnnning
Joined Aug 2012
303 Posts
Momma says"Life is like a box of chocalates, you ever know what your gonna get". Momma always had a way with words.
Forrest Gump 23 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest Gump 23
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,301 Posts
I checked both sites (BH and NP) on Verteran's day, looking at the FMS planes just in case there was a good deal. What I noticed was that the BH 800mm planes were $20-$25 more than the NP planes - the cost of shipping normally charged by NP.

So the BH "sale" of "free shipping over $149" is no sale at all. In fact, it means you are getting the shipping you paid for included in the price of the model. Ok, taht's fair. You get what you paid for in that case.

What infuriates me is that if you only get 1 FMS model and it's less than $149, you pay shipping again ($20-$25). This means that you pay shipping twice - one already in the price and one added at checkout time. Unbelievable!

Anyone can confirm this by comparing the price of a FMS warbird from BH with the price of the same Airfield warbird at NP.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,241 Posts
I could not live w/o chinese or korean food and are some of the finest cooks in the world! and dont forget the mustard and yes most model products today definitly come from overseas, Ive seen and built some wonderful models they produce
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM.