Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by flyingrally
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,325 Posts
Build Log
Top Flite P-40 Warhawk

Did a fair bit of searching and can't find anything in the forum on this great plane in either gas or electric. Being an electric fan I am going to finish a 2/3 completed kit recently purchased as electric.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by ram-bro
Omaha
Joined Aug 2003
40 Posts
I will be taking an interest in your conversion. I will be interested in how you figure the motor, battery and esc selections. I am new to electrics
ram-bro is offline Find More Posts by ram-bro
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Ron101
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,366 Posts
Cool plane.. I had one years ago
I threw a blade off the prop!! it had a saito 180 at full power in mid air the prop exploded then hit the wing and riped about a 1/4 off... then spun into the ground!!

I'm running a hacker in my mustang and just love it!! but mine only 8.5 pounds..

I'd say your top flight will be 11 to 13 pounds with batteries ready to fly..

so I vote for the A50-16l with a 17x12 prop on 8s.. that's about 1600 watts..
that will give you 133 watts per pound if you hit 12 pounds anything more will be gravy

good luck and keep us posted

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 26, 2008, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,587 Posts
I had this plane too and flew it as glow. It flew great, but went down in a Hollywood style movie crash on the 4th flight due to old equipment on board. I loved the build so much I bought another Top-Flite Gold Edition kit... the Corsair. Trying to convert that to electric now too. Will keep my eye out on your project.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Aug 26, 2008, 05:52 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,325 Posts
Well I have been through the shed found a motor i think will work, was going to use it on another project but I think it suits this one better.

Motor:AXi 5330/18 GOLD LINE Brushless

I have to do some work but think I can fit the 2 5000 5s batteries in the plane to run on 10s.

As a return to scratch building project this one is going to take a while so hang in guys
Old Sep 01, 2008, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
The AXI4130/16 pulled my TF Gold series Sea Fury very well, so a 53 will definitely work. The 4130 will work with fewer cells though if weight is a consideration. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by bfischer
Clear Lake, TX
Clear Lake, TX
Joined Oct 2007
51 Posts
Any progress? I just acquired this same model - assembled with Robarts installed including the struts... converting it to Electric. I was thinking E-flite Power 110 or Power 90...
bfischer is offline Find More Posts by bfischer
Old Nov 01, 2008, 05:15 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfischer
Any progress? I just acquired this same model - assembled with Robarts installed including the struts... converting it to Electric. I was thinking E-flite Power 110 or Power 90...
Sorry, got side tracked with my 1:4 scale Stampe conversion.

Hope to be back at it as soon as I finish a 84" Miles Sparrow Hawk conversion.

I think either of those motors will work and should fly scale. One thing I learnt from my conversion on the Stampe was that scale motor's tend to give you much better flying times . I put a Scorpion 40 size in the Stampe running 2p6s 10000, 700 watts for 6kg and it flies for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:52 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,325 Posts
Ok pulled her down of the shelf. Now I have played with fibre glass cloth a bit I think I am ready to finish her. So she will be my next plane out the hanger.

Had a bit of a look tonight at batteries and possible positions I think there are plenty of options so I will need to finish everything and then play with COG to see what I need to do. 2 x 5000 6s or 2 X 5000 5s shouldn't be any issue.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:47 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,587 Posts
I've been flying my Top Flite Corsair on electric power now. It's great fun! The plane same in at 11 lbs. I'm using a Turnigy 50-65 motor with a Turnigy 100A ESC, 16x10 prop, 6 cells, 5000 mAh. I get close to 1500 watts with this setup which is way too much to be anything close to scale. If you navigate to my blog thru my profile you'll see the full electric conversion process I went thru.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by battlestu
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2007
76 Posts
I'll be watching this build as well (and possibly asking questions if you don't mind).

I was lucky enough to get one for Christmas but promised myself to finish the other projects i have on the go first.

Greg
battlestu is offline Find More Posts by battlestu
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by Gree
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer
I've been flying my Top Flite Corsair on electric power now. It's great fun! The plane same in at 11 lbs. I'm using a Turnigy 50-65 motor with a Turnigy 100A ESC, 16x10 prop, 6 cells, 5000 mAh. I get close to 1500 watts with this setup which is way too much to be anything close to scale. If you navigate to my blog thru my profile you'll see the full electric conversion process I went thru.

Excellent, you are using EXACTLY the same set up as I have for my top flite P47. I was thinking of using 8S but you seem to get great results on 6. Nice to know.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,587 Posts
Lol, yes. I also was think of using 8 cells. I actually bought the 100A HV ESC so I can handle more than 6 cells. I tried it out on 6 cells to start off with and can almost go vertical with my 11 pounder! I don't need to spend extra money on batteries now.

Flyingrally, I'd definitely recommend this setup for you. You can probably even go with the smaller 50-55 motor and be more than happy. Check it out on hobbycity.com. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices, the products are great!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 01:36 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,325 Posts
Hobby City Love'em, do an order once a month

My problem is I have had mixed resukts with there motors. For the price I ma not so worried but the work in getting one of those motors fitted and then have it spit magnets.... ARGHHHHH it's the time lost fitting that I hate..

Here is what I have;

5065 - 350 Spat Magnets on very first run up.
6374 - 170 looking for a home.
5055 - 600 Great motor, have it in a 50 size 260 spins a 13x8.5 on 5 and 6s. Unlimited vertical about 7 kg of thrust.
4025 - 16 Scorpian spins a 18x10 on 6s to power my 1/4 scale Stampe. (this is the motor I replaced the magnet spitting 5065.
5055 - 400 sitting looking for a home.

I like the idea of using a bigger motor and spinning a more scale size prop a bit slower. I think the 6374 is overkill

Teaching myself to iron again as I did the control surfaces today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer
Lol, yes. I also was think of using 8 cells. I actually bought the 100A HV ESC so I can handle more than 6 cells. I tried it out on 6 cells to start off with and can almost go vertical with my 11 pounder! I don't need to spend extra money on batteries now.

Flyingrally, I'd definitely recommend this setup for you. You can probably even go with the smaller 50-55 motor and be more than happy. Check it out on hobbycity.com. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices, the products are great!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:12 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,587 Posts
6374, nice! I'm surprised the 50-65 spat magnets. Must have been an unusual defect. Do you get Model Aviation magazine? This month's issue has an 4-5 page article on how to cover a model like a pro. I enjoy covering. Just remember, especially for the fully sheeted wings, to start in the middle and iron out to the edges.