SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvie1 View Post
Sundancer - One question, did you shrink the mylar with heat?
Yes I did Yuvie.The mylar was attached by putting a bead of Balsaloc around the frame to which the mylar was attached making sure to get it even rather than particularly tight, using a medium setting on the film iron, then this was turned up a couple of notches and used to shrink the mylar tight. Big advantage of mylar is that it shrinks "soft" and, unlike doped tissue, does not pull fragile frameworks like these out of shape. Oh yes, and it is of course light and airproof!

I've flown it on full turns now and it does 30 - 35 seconds every time; no doubt I could get more with a balsa carved prop and some experiment with the motor, but it is fine as it is for my very restricted flying area.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by yuvie1
Joined Jan 2014
36 Posts
Thank you Sundancer for the clear explanation and description of the process. I've attached an image of a "Stringless Wonder" I made some time ago. I usually cover these planes with food wrap (which also shrinks "softly" per your description) or Esaki tissue. I tried this one with mylar but felt the adhesive wouldn't hold if I tried to shrink it. I have to try Balsaloc. The plane is long gone but I'll plan another mylar bird in the future.
yuvie1 is offline Find More Posts by yuvie1
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:41 AM
Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
395 Posts
Here is a Peck ROG that I covered last night using solarfilm solite also known as nelson litefilm, coverite microlite, and aerofilm lite. The model just needs a couple of trim tabs to be added.

I chose to use solite because I had it on hand and the surfaces on this model are only covered on one side meaning they're easily warped by shrinkage in tissue. I have had huge issues with Peck ROG's getting warped when the tissue shrinks with fluctuations in humidity here in England. The bonus is that solite is slightly lighter than doped lightweight esaki and more resistant to puncture.

Solite has a heat activated adhesive built into the colour layer so normally this film is adhered and shrunk with heat but the 1/16" square balsa strip structure used on the Peck ROG's flying surfaces is unable to withstand that treatment. Instead I sprayed the structure with a light coat of 3M77 contact adhesive and adhered the film that way. I did not attempt to shrink the covering as I am sure it will warp the structure.

I think that something without an adhesive built into the covering like mylar or oracover air might be lighter still but solite is what I had on hand and weight was not the primary factor in me choosing this covering.
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer