Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
24 Posts
Eliminating the AR635 AS3X Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1950 View Post
Ditching the AR635 due to severe oscillation over half throttle and no interest in trying to adjust gains. Replacing with an AR610.

Can someone suggest throws in degrees &/or distance for an F3A setup?

I did not note the the F3A throws before I pulled the AR635 and do not believe there are any throws spec'ed in the manual for a PNP setup.

Thanks,
DD

My Splendor had aileron flutter at anything over half throttle in the F3A flight mode. I tried several things to solve this and it only got worse. 3 days ago I swapped out the 635 receiver for the AR610 and that solved the problem instantly. I moved the clevises in one hole on the ailerons I set Aileron and elevator travel at 70% and set Expo on both at 25%. It's flying really good now. One more thing. I recommend eliminating the switch on the lower right side of the cowl. Just cut and tape both wires. That switch cost me my first Splendor when it cut-off in the air. Best Regards JC
FASSTFLIER is offline Find More Posts by FASSTFLIER
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:19 AM
Find More Posts by dogdoc1950
High in the sunlit silence...
United States, CO, Greenwood Village
Joined Jun 2013
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASSTFLIER View Post
My Splendor had aileron flutter at anything over half throttle in the F3A flight mode. I tried several things to solve this and it only got worse. 3 days ago I swapped out the 635 receiver for the AR610 and that solved the problem instantly. I moved the clevises in one hole on the ailerons I set Aileron and elevator travel at 70% and set Expo on both at 25%. It's flying really good now. One more thing. I recommend eliminating the switch on the lower right side of the cowl. Just cut and tape both wires. That switch cost me my first Splendor when it cut-off in the air. Best Regards JC[/SIZE]
Did you adjust travel in servo settings to 70% or set rates to 70%?

Installing a uBEC took the switch out of the circuit.
dogdoc1950 is offline Find More Posts by dogdoc1950
Old Jun 12, 2015, 04:48 AM
Find More Posts by richie967
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
356 Posts
Hello Fellow Eflite Splendor Owners - I picked up one of these second hand the other day at a show. I am planning on using the included BEC to power my Hitec Optima 6. Im guessing there will be a good UBEC in the supplied ESC.

Also, I am planning on running a Gens Ace 5000mah 6s pack. Has anyone one a 5000mah 6s in this? I'm guessing it will fly.... But may not be so good for 3d....

Thoughts....
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by Tom_H
I fly, I crash, I fly again!
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Centre of Gravity

Hi Chaps,

I know there is a lot of talk on this thread with moving the battery back to improve the flight characteristics of this wonderful plane, especially for people using larger batteries. My question, as opposed to how much you moved the battery, what was the resulting center of gravity measurement in mm from the leading edge that you found to be optimal? I am running mine with the recommended E-Flite 3200 six cell batteries and have not yet moved the battery but might like to experiment shifting the weight back a little.

many thanks

~Tom
Tom_H is offline Find More Posts by Tom_H
Old Jun 12, 2015, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Which tail wheel did you go with?
I had it sitting on my shelf. I think it was called a Sullivan tail wheel purchased from Tower Hobbies.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Jun 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
1,064 Posts
No difference for me with battery placement with 3,300 or 4,000 packs. I use the morgan mill lipo tray to mount the pack. A 5,000 pack would make a difference I expect, and I would expect you would need to move the pack aft to maintain the CG.
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jun 13, 2015, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by Chascall
Hay Pilot
United States, TX, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2013
440 Posts
Are you using the Carbon Cub battery tray from Morgan Mill in your Splendor?
Chascall is online now Find More Posts by Chascall
Old Jun 13, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
7,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chascall View Post
Are you using the Carbon Cub battery tray from Morgan Mill in your Splendor?
hmm does it fit??? I love that battery tray in my Cub
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:22 PM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
24 Posts
Quote: "Did you adjust travel in servo settings to 70% or set rates to 70%?"
I reduced servo travel to 70% and I set Expo at 25% to reduce sensitivity around neutral. The Splendor has very large control surfaces which are probably needed for 3-D flying which I don't do. I'm an old Pattern Pilot and still prefer to fly those type maneuvers. My plane still has a high roll-rate, even with the reduced aileron travel.
With regard to LiPo battery location. I removed the foam in the rear of the battery area about 1/2 inch...back to the plastic wing spar. I haven't checked the CG, but I like the way the plane flies with this battery placement. IMO the plane is nose heavy unless the battery is moved to the rear. I am using Turnigy and Glacier 6s batteries.
Regards
JC
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by kingsflyer
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
No difference for me with battery placement with 3,300 or 4,000 packs. I use the morgan mill lipo tray to mount the pack. A 5,000 pack would make a difference I expect, and I would expect you would need to move the pack aft to maintain the CG.
Could you post a picture of the Morgan Mill tray installed in your Splendor?

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:17 AM
USA, TX, Smithville
Joined Sep 2010
24 Posts
Aerobatic maneuvers are improved by by moving the center of gravity as far aft as possible without compromising pitch stability and making the airplane unsafe in slow flight. This reduces the work the horizontal tail has to do to keep the airplane balanced in turns. Reducing the workload of the tail reduces drag. Anytime we pull back on the stick, the elevator deflection increases drag. Anytime you can make a maneuver with the least amount of control deflection—the least amount of drag—that’s your goal in most F3-A type pattern flying. Of course 3D is a different ballgame. JC
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by richie967
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
356 Posts
5000mah 6s battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr View Post
Thanks for the information. I'm guessing it's still safe ish to fly with a 5000mah in the standard battery position, but it wont be optimal. The motor seems mega powerful so it should handle the extra weight no problem. I dont want ot particularly weaken the structure by removing foam to move the battery further aft.

I'll give it a bash, well, not literally!
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Alan W
NY
Joined May 2000
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASSTFLIER View Post
Aerobatic maneuvers are improved by by moving the center of gravity as far aft as possible without compromising pitch stability and making the airplane unsafe in slow flight. This reduces the work the horizontal tail has to do to keep the airplane balanced in turns. Reducing the workload of the tail reduces drag. Anytime we pull back on the stick, the elevator deflection increases drag. Anytime you can make a maneuver with the least amount of control deflection—the least amount of drag—that’s your goal in most F3-A type pattern flying. Of course 3D is a different ballgame. JC
not only that, but ..

.. Stock 3300 6S batts, even with the foam cut back to the spar, require you to carry some up trim to maintain level flight meaning that the CG is still too far forward.

Can you fly like that ? Sure, but again you are inducing un-needed drag in upright horizontal flight, and inducing a pitch to canopy in any knife-edge maneuver, and inverted flight will require substantial down stick instead of a slight amount.

This will only be exacerbated when flying with heavier than stock batteries in the stock or slightly aft (foam removed back to spar) location because it will require even more up trim for level flight.
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W