New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,737 Posts
As much I love the Extra, turns out I couldn't resist a sweet deal on an ArtiZan PNP... I was worried the plane would be a bit too "tame" in comparison but it's almost as capable as the Extra, if a little slower airspeed wise and not quite as crazy maneuvrable - but it still pulls a decent Lomcevak and it's much more graceful in the air, whatever it does. And it needs much less space to land !

I'm afraid I won't be an Extra 300 owner for much longer
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by cpt.chaos canada
new Biplaner to be 04 2013
Canada, NS, Aulds Cove
Joined Jun 2013
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
As much I love the Extra, turns out I couldn't resist a sweet deal on an ArtiZan PNP... I was worried the plane would be a bit too "tame" in comparison but it's almost as capable as the Extra, if a little slower airspeed wise and not quite as crazy maneuvrable - but it still pulls a decent Lomcevak and it's much more graceful in the air, whatever it does. And it needs much less space to land !

I'm afraid I won't be an Extra 300 owner for much longer
Why???
. . . don't you keep both?
If the wife is a concern, just paint them equally

Otherwise send it to me, if shipping is free

Good luck with the new tamed Extra.

Happy landings
CCC
cpt.chaos canada is online now Find More Posts by cpt.chaos canada
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:23 AM
Canada, NS, Aulds Cove
Joined Jun 2013
182 Posts
repost, . . . new Happy Owner needs help

Reposted with pics.

Hi all,
got myself a very used one last week for $50 what could go wrong.

Well I started reading the confusing statements from 2010 as well as this "happy" thread.
Took her apart to check for issues.
Found one slightly stripped aileron servo, exchanged both ails servo to be safe.
The ailerons foam hinges where brutally stiff, what probably caused the wear.
Had everything working fine, included an Spectrum 6ch RX and a new Detrum Flightsystem which turns it into a safelike setup with 6axis control.
Got everything groundtestet well but would only fly in advanced mode in order to get a feel for it and trim it out.
Changed all throws to a mediate level, it came manually maxed out.
Only thing active was the gyro.
Of course the wind was ready as soon as I readied her.
Take off on low rates, no problem. Let her climb out in an easy angle.
Underestimated the power, she became a tiny spec in no time disregarding the now gusting wind. Tried to feel her out by crossing side to side upwind of me.
Felt a bit mushy so I switched to high rates. I saw her wiggling depending on direction. Knowing that I had to adjust the gyro gains according to high speed performance I brought her closer for fast passes and that was quite a picture, she shook the tail like crazy as well as wild roll axis movements during the flight.
So I slow her down but climb at the same time, again not used to the fascinating power of this bird. Dialed some down elevator trim in, okay, better.
But she starts feeling mushy again, loosing more and more control. Still high up she takes off downwind, now I had a very interesting fight for about 2min on my hands, almost uncontrollable I tried the self stabilizing mode, some reaction but felt even worse, so back to advanced mode.
Finally got her to turn back in my direction and in a shallow dive.
Here she comes, but what is this? No more vertical stab and rudder
At least I could now get her down in a bank and yank style, made just one more turn and landed with tailwind, a bit bouncy but it worked.
She taxied back fine, the lower rudder part was still there.

So I truly consider myself a very "Happy Owner"

Happy because despite all the obstacles she flew well in high wind until the incident, and I could even land her under the described circumstances.
NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS PLANE

I guess the gain settings have caused the extreme wiggle effect which might have stressed the vertical stab to the breaking point, taking the rudder portion with it.
If I only had stayed lower for observation

Well here is my help request, can someone measure the height, above the fuse, and upper lengths of the vertical stab-rudder unit please.

Thanks in advance and
always happy landings
CCC
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:19 AM
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt.chaos canada View Post
Why???
. . . don't you keep both?
If the wife is a concern, just paint them equally

Otherwise send it to me, if shipping is free

Good luck with the new tamed Extra.

Happy landings
CCC
No wife issue, just attempting to thin out the fleet. A bit of rationalization and self discipline When some planes have not hit the field for more than six months then it's time to part ways (with the ArtiZan I'm afraid the Extra is headed this way, so...)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:29 AM
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Reposted with pics.
Thanks in advance and
always happy landings
CCC
Yikes !
Can't help you right at the moment but I think I know what happened... The Extra is prone to break its rudder exactly at this point, as with its small wheels it is often flipping on its back on rough or grassy fields. The rudder itself is very rigid (there are sunken fiber reinforcements inside of it) but the base is the weak point and there's not much foam to hold it to the rest of the plane.

Mine has the same scar acquired very early in its life. Just gluing the rudder back in place didn't held for long. I ended up planting two long CF rods into the rudder and through the elevator to help it stand. I probably posted the pics here.

EDIT : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3116

Didn't budge ever since.
Last edited by RyoOhki1701; Jun 25, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:27 AM
Canada, NS, Aulds Cove
Joined Jun 2013
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
Yikes !
Can't help you right at the moment but I think I know what happened... The Extra is prone to break its rudder exactly at this point, as with its small wheels it is often flipping on its back on rough or grassy fields. The rudder itself is very rigid (there are sunken fiber reinforcements inside of it) but the base is the weak point and there's not much foam to hold it to the rest of the plane.

Mine has the same scar acquired very early in its life. Just gluing the rudder back in place didn't held for long. I ended up planting two long CF rods into the rudder and through the elevator to help it stand. I probably posted the pics here.

EDIT : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3116

Didn't budge ever since.
Thanks for your reply!
It all points to a preconditioned crack that I didn't discovered.
Plane has several dings and the landing gear mount was already reglued when I got it. In fact the glue had spread out and held the battery in place
I guess that's why it was sold with the battery

So it might have taken some beatings already.

I just have to recreate the lost part, made an eyeballed thin template so far but need the two measurements in order to get it right.

I tend to reinforce all tail feathers with CF rods like you did too.

CCC
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by kdean
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,800 Posts
Hey guys, i've found a replacement motor and got it to fit with some mods. Had to reverse the shaft and add some spacers to the mount, but it works great. Im gunna add a simple 2axis gyro so it can be a little more stable on windy days.

But, on my last flight, after landing, it started doing circles on the ground. One of the special screw/bolts came off of my landing gear.

Does anyone know where i can pick a couple of these up?
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:57 AM
i can cope !
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,737 Posts
Parted ways with my old Extra last Sunday. But, in spite of it did the detachable landing gear thing again at first flight, with a bit of glue and some quick coaching, I'm pleased to report this plane seems to have found a new happy owner
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Canada, NS, Aulds Cove
Joined Jun 2013
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Hey guys, i've found a replacement motor and got it to fit with some mods. Had to reverse the shaft and add some spacers to the mount, but it works great. Im gunna add a simple 2axis gyro so it can be a little more stable on windy days.

But, on my last flight, after landing, it started doing circles on the ground. One of the special screw/bolts came off of my landing gear.

Does anyone know where i can pick a couple of these up?
Hi,
unfortunately I'm not familiar with the LHS situation in the Bahamas.

But you can still order from Horizon Hobby.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/wheel-nu...ra-300-pkz5131
http://www.horizonhobby.com/main-lan...ra-300-pkz5130

Good luck.
CCC
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Canada, NS, Aulds Cove
Joined Jun 2013
182 Posts
when generations meet . . .

Hi all,
I'm a long haul truck driver, rolling through Canada and the USA.

Had a chance yesterday to finally get airborne again after a weird period of
"hey look the storm Ike winds stopped- it's raining now"

Could make 3 test flights in Fairfield ME with my new achieved Extra 300 which where breathtaking in many ways.
I thought I dialled the controls down enough for a decent RX only handling.
The Detrum FS-system went into my Cessna as planned.
I had recreated the vertical stab and the rudder portion attached to it, broke off during the first flight in ON.

So take off was easy, she just wanted to climb like crazy, so let's dial in some down trim, right.
What is that, the down trim tab quit working, so here I fly her with still very sensitive controls trying to feel her out a bit and practice the landing approach. She is a pure breed, power house, full aerobatic stunt plane and I felt like a novice pilot trying to fly for the fist time.
Managed some bouncy landings and trimmed manually as good as possible.
Nerve wrecking but at least my repairs worked fine.

Later on, stopped in Kittery ME for 6 more flights.
3 Alby sorties with my new Zinger Pro 12x6, followed by 1 Extra flight, which ended with a ripped out LG on a purpose soft grass drop.(already fixed)
People started using my landing zone for jogging, no problem with the Alby and everybody was comfy and enjoyed watching my flights. But I knew that I'm not in complete control of my landings with the Extra, so I ditched her softly in a safe grass spot after a little show flight.

The last 2 flights of the day were performed by the Alby again.

Flying these totally different planes back to back, reminded me how graceful the Alby can be. (drool, drool)

Happy landings
CCC
Old Today, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by kdean
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,800 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
unfortunately I'm not familiar with the LHS situation in the Bahamas.

But you can still order from Horizon Hobby.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/wheel-nu...ra-300-pkz5131
http://www.horizonhobby.com/main-lan...ra-300-pkz5130

Good luck.
CCC
Thank you.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean