SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2015, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
Discussion
Found this in the attic, what do you reccomend

My in-laws have had this thing for 11 years. Never been flown. The damage in the left wing was from a move. From what I can tell it's just the shell. Balsa construction

Weight: 2.5 pounds (roughly from weighing myself on a digital scale then weighing me and the plane, averaged over 5 attempts and rounded up to nearest half pound)

Dimensions:
Wingspan - 4ft
Firewall to tail - 3ft
Top of firewall to ground - 9in

I'm a newbie when it comes to building myself. Obviously not kit remains to give me any insight as to where to go from here.

A few questions:
1.) anyone have any clue what model this is?
2.) based upon the specs I gave any one have any recommendations on a brushless motor I would need, ESC and battery? Trying to stay as cheap as I can.

First large model and its a family heirloom. I don't need it to be crazy off the bat, just want it to fly stable.
slumav505 is offline Find More Posts by slumav505
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2015, 03:59 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,548 Posts
Probably wrong but could be a kit built Dazzler.

Whatever you power it with put the CG at the thickest part of the wing.

I fly mine with a OS.46AX but believe they were designed around a .40 motor.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:01 PM
Can't fight the addiction!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,095 Posts
given its "heirloom" status..

if it were mine, I'd hang it as a display and not fly it at all.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Probably wrong but could be a kit built Dazzler.

Whatever you power it with put the CG at the thickest part of the wing.

I fly mine with a OS.46AX but believe they were designed around a .40 motor.

It looks darn close! The canopy/top doesn't exactly match what I'm finding on the Google. Maybe who ever built it didn't finish it? Almost everything else is a dead match. How does it fly? Does an intermediate flyer transitioning from micro foamies stand a chance? We've got a rather large area to fly it.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
given its "heirloom" status..

if it were mine, I'd hang it as a display and not fly it at all.
It was bought for my brother in law 11 years ago. He wants to fly it and never knew how. I can fly the small stuff but this is a whole new ball game for me. We took a vote, everyone wanted it to fly.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:34 PM
Can't fight the addiction!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,095 Posts
Cool.

then you will find its not at all a "large model" but simply a larger model and will be a bit easier to fly than smaller models
Here's what you should do with regards to electrifying it..unless you are going to make her into a slimer.

Weigh it as it is now. Shouldn't be more than a few pounds.

Something like a Power32 sized brushless motor, a 60amp esc and something in the range of a 3s 4000mAH pack for sport flying.
Kick it up to a 4s 3700mAH pack with an APC 13x6.5 or 14x7" prop and you will have some more oomph.

For reference, outfit this plane similar to what Eflite recommended for their now discontinued but super fun plane the Erratix

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL4075

If your micro foamies have ailerons, then yes, you can fly this plane. Set your initial rates very low, so that the plane handles more smoothly and make sure you have your center of gravity perfect and she shouldn't be a handful.

Remember that the larger planes fly smoother than the smaller ones..typically.

If you are in need of personal help, check out some of the flying clubs around your area. You should find many of the members willing to help.

Also, once you are done assembling this kit, take a hair dryer and carefully blow hot air over the area's where the covering is wrinkled. Don't get too close or get it too hot, but work the area with the hot air and you will see the covering tighten up nicely.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Mar 15, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 08:10 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,548 Posts
Have you guys flown anything but micros?
Going from a 4channel micro to this plane is a bit of a giant leap but is possible with aileron experience.

My plane that looks very very similar is a bit heavy because of the motor that is on it and the bar of lead on the tail because of the big motor but it still lands at a decently slow speed.

You will need quite a bit more room than a micro and it sounds like you have it.
For big planes when landing do not force them down, let them land when they are ready to land. There is plenty of time to get used to it's flying characteristics and land at your feet tail wheel first later.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:33 PM
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
After some digging I think it's actually a Tower Hobbies Uproar, though they all are similar style airframes so in theory the advice is still solid. Found a few different conversion guides on here and other places on the inter webs. I think we also want to resurface since there are numerous rips and it looks like a flying pizza joint. I'm stoked about this project. Thanks for the advice, as we go along I know I'll be back on here. Might be a few weeks.
Last edited by slumav505; Mar 16, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2015
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Have you guys flown anything but micros?
Going from a 4channel micro to this plane is a bit of a giant leap but is possible with aileron experience.

My plane that looks very very similar is a bit heavy because of the motor that is on it and the bar of lead on the tail because of the big motor but it still lands at a decently slow speed.

You will need quite a bit more room than a micro and it sounds like you have it.
For big planes when landing do not force them down, let them land when they are ready to land. There is plenty of time to get used to it's flying characteristics and land at your feet tail wheel first later.
By the time we actually get it built I should be good on ailerons. (P-51 Um As3x) I'm starting to master flying that. This bird won't fly until I fly without thinking (so to speak) on that.

Getting the right motor/ESC/battery combo is my biggest worry of the whole thing.

We have a farm we plan on storing and using it at for the most part, though eventually once we get good we'll join a local club when we don't want to drive out there.. Lots of open skies. It actually used to have a full scale grass landing strip. Since I also fly full scale for a living I've been looking for an excuse to bring that back. This could be the start of it.