Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:08 AM
France, PACA, Marseille
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Build Log
1400w ac power supply awf-11dc-1400 s-l4 ibm 39j2779

Hello guys!

My turn to share with the community

I got this IBM PSU: AWF-11DC-1400 with really sexy specs!
90A @12V

but no information on pinout

I followed the method
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=7

Quote:
how to solve an unknown supply

Bringing that up, this is the method I used to find the correct pins to power up this supply. It also works for a majority of PS units out there.

With power off and testing each pin to ground.

1. Exclude any pins that are common to each other(including ground pins). Usually these are the 3v and 5v rail pins. They also show the same resistance.

2. Exclude any open pins(pins with no resistance that don't connect to anything).

3. Exclude any pins with a value below 1k ohms and above 10k ohms. From my experience, I've found that the pson and pskill resistance usually falls between a 1k and 10k range.

With power on.

4. Exclude any pins that show no voltage.(pson and pskill are held partially TTL high or just not grounded. So they show some voltage on them).

This will usually leave between 4-6 pins.

Use a .5k ohm resistor on each of the individual remaining pins and connect each to ground. The power supply will usually power up at this point.

Disconnect one resistor at a time from ground.

If the PS remains on after a you disconnect a resistor from ground, then the remaining pins contain the pson and pskill. So keep it disconnected from ground.

If the power supply turns off, then the disconnected pin is either the pson or pskill. So reconnect it to ground.

Repeat this process until you find the pson and pskill pins.

In some cases the PS will turn on with a fault.

If this happens then disconnect one resistor(pin) at a time from ground to find the one that is causing the fault. Then continue with the process above to find the pskill and pson pins.​
here are the measures made during the research

and I found out the required pins among 58 pins!
Here is the result: really simple!

only one pin to short to ground!

I have a question for the bosses around here:
- the number of outputs don't exactly match the specs? it's weird. Are the 3 12V outputs separated? or can I link them together?

- any hints on how to increase the voltage of 10%?

yours
Mat
racingmat is offline Find More Posts by racingmat
Last edited by racingmat; Mar 15, 2015 at 04:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:41 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmat View Post
Hello guys!

My turn to share with the community

I got this IBM PSU: AWF-11DC-1400 with really sexy specs!
90A @12V

but no information on pinout

I followed the method
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=7

here are the measures made during the research

and I found out the required pins among 58 pins!
Here is the result: really simple!

only one pin to short to ground!

Are you going to keep it a secret?

- the number of outputs don't exactly match the specs? it's weird. Are the 3 12V outputs separated? or can I link them together?

I would think not. They all have different current specifications. Definitely not for the -12V output.

yours
Mat
Glen (Not a boss)
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 14, 2015, 04:04 PM
France, PACA, Marseille
Joined Mar 2015
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Are you going to keep it a secret?
Glen
Nope!
the solution is in the 4th picture: see the red link between the PSUon pin and one Ground pin!
racingmat is offline Find More Posts by racingmat
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:45 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,437 Posts
Please post a link to your thread in the "How to convert Server Power Supplies" thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Thanks.

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 15, 2015, 02:16 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,437 Posts
This is pure guesswork but I'm wondering if the "Output" numbers on the label refer to connections on the backplane connector not the supply itself?? Some of the low current outputs may come from the small pins as in other supplies while there are multiple large blades for the high current voltages.

My first wild totally uninformed guess would be that you will get the 12V, 90A output from the two outer longer blades (ground) and the two left hand short ones. The two faced blades and the inner ground blades are possibly for the other voltages. Grounds are possibly common (easily checked), the equal voltage blades may not be. In other big supplies they are sometimes separate and separately protected.

By the way the full description of this supply appears to be:

IBM 39J2779 1400W AC POWER SUPPLY AWF-11DC-1400 S-L4
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmat View Post

yours
Mat
Old Mar 15, 2015, 04:56 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,437 Posts
BTW, here's the logic around my wild guess.

1) On other supplies the big blades carry the heavy current rails and the smaller pins some of the light duty ones.
2) This supply seems to have two sets of small 0.1" header pins. It would seem logical that the 8 located between the large blades carry power and the big 2 x 25 row at the bottom is all logic and sensing.

The top 8 are probably the twin pins for 5V 2.7A and VFan and VBlower plus a common ground . The last two probably switched DC hence the resistance readings.

That leaves the blades. Blades without twin faces will be for the heaviest currents. There are 4 grounds so that leaves 4 blades without twin faces (which matches the number of grounds).

Two are 12V nominal, one is 3.3 nominal and one is 5V nominal. All fits with the high current ones on the nameplate.

The remainder double faced blades could be
12.0VL and its ground
2.5V and its ground
Not sure what the -3.5V is??? (Possibly VBlower and there are 4 small pins for VFan.)
1.8V and its ground
-12V and its ground
3.3VCS and its ground

This is all pure guesswork but I am pretty sure you can consider only the non double faced blades for very high current so that is really all you need to deal with. And they are straightforward.

John