Discussion
apprentice dx8 setup

looking for a setup for my apprentice for my new dx8 if anyone can help
bigemike is offline Find More Posts by bigemike
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
27 Posts
I learned on an Apprentice and had around 90 flights before I took one too many on a real windy day. It was a very good plane to learn on. I'll be fixing it even though I now have a Pulse XT25.

I would suggest that you configure high and low rates and some expo on each.

You would want relatively docile handling on the low rates and more control surface throw on the high rates. You can do loops, rolls, stall turns and even fly inverted with the Apprentice; you just don't want to start there.

After you get used to the plane you might want to move the push rods to a lower hole on the control horns to get more throw.

I'm also going to suggest that as a new flier you should get an instructor to help you get started. The Apprentice is a floater and you will need some help getting the idea of how to land it.

Also get some extra rubber bands. As they get weak, the wing can lift and you will have strange handling situations - like comming out of loops. So just have extras and replace them as needed.

Do enjoy your plane.
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old May 09, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
231 Posts
What I would suggest is to start with the throws shown in the manual as your 100% rates and work from there. Use the F mode switch to give you 3 sets of rates and expo fro all surfaces that you can switch to easily instead of trying to use individual switches for each surface. Save that for later when you have more experience. Set your full rates at position 0 or 2, whichever feels right to you and then your low and mid rates will follow. I would set my low rate at 50 to 60% of the full rate throws and the mid at about 80%. Expo tends to be personal preference thing and depends on how "nervous"you are on the sticks. If you feel you are likely to be hyper about overcontrolling, then more expo may be better. If the controls seem sluggish you can always back off. Start at 35/40%. You may also want to have you rates on the rudder considerably higher at the low rate position to make ground handling easier since you won't really be using rudder in the air. Good flying!
eagle1960 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
Problem:

DX8 bind to Apprentice--since I started to try to bind Apprentice to DX8, I had it bound one time. Now when I hook up battery and then turn the on/off switch on it doesn't initialize (plays no music, control surfaces don't move). Is this:
Bad switch, problem with receiver, or problem with the bind? I don't have a clue.

accnole
accnole is offline Find More Posts by accnole
Old Jan 30, 2015, 02:34 PM
United States, MI, Romeo
Joined Apr 2009
2,899 Posts
accnole,

When you say "on/off" switch, what do you mean. If you mean the dx8 on off switch , you should be turning that on FIRST.

TX on first........RX power second.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 30, 2015, 03:15 PM
United States, MI, Bay City
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accnole View Post
Problem:

DX8 bind to Apprentice--since I started to try to bind Apprentice to DX8, I had it bound one time. Now when I hook up battery and then turn the on/off switch on it doesn't initialize (plays no music, control surfaces don't move). Is this:
Bad switch, problem with receiver, or problem with the bind? I don't have a clue.

accnole
You may be making the same mistake that I made. It took me a few failed attempts before I went back and carefully read the instructions.

So, I will start with one question: Did you remove the bind plug from the receiver *before* turning off the plane? If you leave the bind plug in when you turn off the plane, it will loose the bind to the transmitter.

You should pull out the bind plug after you hear the tones. (See page 10 of the manual)
astrojohn is offline Find More Posts by astrojohn