HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:33 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
Build Log
OSW the OneSheetWing -- Yet another onesheeter!

It's not like we don't have a plethora of wings on the scratchbuilt foamies forum, but, hey, I'm working my way through all the genres in this onesheet madness. For those who may not have seen the OSG or OSB thread, the premise is to make a plane that uses as much of a 20"x30" sheet of dollar store foamboard as possible. So, Here she is the OneSheetWing:

Specs:
Material: Dollar store foamboard or Readiboard (of course), 3/16" dowel Leading edge, packing tape.
Motor: 1700kv 24gram Bluwonder (I used the red HK version)
Prop: 7x6sf (so far, but I think it's a good fit)
Servos: Hextronik 9gram HXT900
ESC: Hobbyking SS 10amp
RX: 72mhz (for now)
battery: 2s Mystery 900mah

Span: 30"
AUW: 7.45oz (less battery)

Got video, adding here:
OneSheetWing 2-4-11 (4 min 59 sec)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Feb 16, 2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:38 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,696 Posts
my wife hates you
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:40 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
The history

My first attempt at the OSW, V1 flew but had yaw problems and wanted to "hunt" attitude. At low speeds, she would do this continual bobbing of the nose, very annoying. Outside and at higher speed I would get her flying straight and level, then realize she was turning nice as can be without any apparent inputs. I got lots of help from FB's with reflex, cg change suggestions, etc, but while she got better behaved, never really "grooved" like I wanted. The last tip that, of course I couldn't try well on v1 was more sweep, hence v2. here's what Version 1 looks like:
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more indoor stuff
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:45 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
Build

Here's the cut sheet and labeled parts sheet. The pdf prints out to 8 pages letter size, and has the Scale&tile alignment marks at each corner (Thanks Segraves!!!! Love that program)

Wil: tell your wife I send my deepest apologies! Must be foam dust that makes me do it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:58 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
Build pix

Most of these are from V1, I didn't document v2 as well, but you will get the idea....

Step wise, First, cutting out the pieces. I measured for the major lines and just cut and traced the small ones.

laminate the top and bottom step panels to the main wing panel, then the Center panels to aft center area, top and bottom. Note: I cut the tip of the main panel and inserted a piece of 3/16" thick balsa right at the tip (about 3" spanwise) to glue the dowel to, and hopefully make a bit stronger nose. Seems to have worked so far

Once it's cured sand a groove in LE at the main panel. I took a skewer length wrapped with sandpaper and went at it, checking periodically for the dowel fit. Dowel is 3/16, so a standard skewer plus sandpaper is about right.

Glue in the dowel. I didn't bend the dowel, but mitered the fwd joint, trusting in the bond to balsa to act as a load spreader. masking tape to hold in place.

Once cured, carve and sand the Leading edge airfoil curve. I went back about an inch with knife and sanded smooth transition from there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:11 PM
Aviation Geek
Perkasie Pa
Joined Nov 2004
6 Posts
Very Interesting....

Looks good Springer, count me in! Looks like a perfect throw-it-in-the-trunk and fly it on the way home from work kind of plane. Subscribed and looking forward to this build.
Regards,
Rich
gwins100 is online now Find More Posts by gwins100
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:15 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
"fuselage"

The fuse is just a penthouse to hold the firewall/motor mount and gear out of sight. The pattern on plans is cut out, then the inside v cut and then grooved with top of xacto knife to get it to fold. Glue and tape together. first picture is V1 fuse (was gonna do one on top and one on bottom, but stopped at only the top), but V2 goes together the same.

Once glued up, and I should add you can glue in the two firewall reinforcements, or as I did, not glue in thefirewall skin piece, but glue all three together and fit and glue them in after fuse is glued on. This allows insuring the firewall is 90degrees to the wing bottom (no down thrust)

the motor mount is 1/8" ply 1.5" square.

Access panel is cut and tape hinged at fwd edge after Fuse glued on. I cut through the wing in fwd area for a pocket for battery, but didn't show on plans, as you will want to size it for your setup. You can even cut this after gluing it all up, and use a filler panel on bottom.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
Flight test

No vids yet, but I'm happy to report that V2 is much better mannered than V1. First flight this morning without the wing tip plates was relatively uneventful. None of the bobbing nose of V1, much better yaw stability, but I wondered if plates will help "enough" to make them mandatory? inside, glued them on, and back out. They help..... I set mine about 30+deg to horizontal, though I doubt it's critical. They definitely help with general stability, tho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:54 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,696 Posts
Plans printed and i may try and cut and tape them together tonight with my 1 hand
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:59 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,162 Posts
Very nice. I particularly like how you did the canopy. Hmmm, some clear windows with LEDs would be neat.

There just isn't enough time, I need 30hr days

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:24 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,553 Posts
Very nice indeed.
I'm looking forward to seeing the One Sheet Helicopter
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:12 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,277 Posts
How about a one sheet Bel Geddes #4 ... just a few mods and 19 more motors ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
I could use the bit of scrap left to make the sponsons, go with only a kfm2 wing to allow for the upper wing, and cannabalize 10 airhogs! mmmmm, maybe not......

Got vid! heading to library to upload (comes to 27meg, couldn't decide where to edit!)

Azarr: Thanks! Plaudits from one of the experts is valuable. LED's and maybe a lazer pointer ray gun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,259 Posts
Wil: make sure wife approves, we don't want her getting mad!

Whiskers: Probably won't see a chopper from me, but Glen's hoverfoam is awful close!

On a more serious note, I have discovered the tip plates are a bit fragile. may want to use the scrap in the corner to double them up. (they don't stand up well to farm implements!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
I don't build a lot with EPP, but have found 1.3# 8mm (or similar) EPP very useful for those wingtips. They bend so much that I've never had them fall off. Just a thought, if you happen to have some laying around.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki