HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jan 2012
111 Posts
Yeah, with foam hinges there's that fine line between being too stiff and too easily cracked.
I have replaced my stab hinges with stiff fabric hinges and am very happy with them. I still would like to try the Foam Tac hinge (look up YouTube videos).
jgroetsema is online now Find More Posts by jgroetsema
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,719 Posts
Yes I have installed large CA hinges in my T-28 too. It really helps and is peace of mind for when the foam WILL crack someday. I usually fly my foamies for a few weeks and then make myself do the hinge work eventually. No CA foam hinge has ever failed me in recent memory.

To be truthful, about 30 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) I was flying a smaller glow plane and I put CA hinges on it and on the maiden flight I was up about 75 feet and saw two small "things" floating down to the ground...it was both elevators! The rest of the plane came down about 10 seconds later! I don't think the CA hinges work as well on balsa as they do on our foamies. Never had one fail on a foamie in the 10 years I've been flying foamies.

Russ
RGS2010 is online now Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
Were all gonna' FLY!
USA, MA, Saugus
Joined Sep 2008
176 Posts
Hi Guys, Just want to share a few photos. I too have been working on the air brake and the tail hook(you got to have both). The tail hook shaft is a plastic tube that just fit over the servo arm and epoxied, the "hook" itself is shaped from a piece of plastic and epoxied on the end. The air brake is made from popsicle sticks and 1/32" ply. I plan on mounting the servo in the wing with a transfer arm to simulate the hydraulic actuators of the real plane. (I hope)
beagleone is online now Find More Posts by beagleone
Old Today, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jan 2012
111 Posts
I love your mods, especially the air brake. Mines' not Navy so would not do the tail hook, but sure looks good.
jgroetsema is online now Find More Posts by jgroetsema
Old Today, 09:29 AM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
1,161 Posts
Any update on release of the new oleos? I haven't flown mine in well over a year as I tore out the nose gear during a pilot error stall on takeoff. I bought new gear to do the sandancer gear mod, but have just stalled on getting it done as other, newer projects have kept my interest. Just wondering if the new oleos would make it less of a pain in the rear. Btw beagleone, tailhook and airbrake look great! Please keep us posted and show us the finished product when you get it all done. I may have to copy your work!
chopperscott is online now Find More Posts by chopperscott