Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
125 Posts
Don't think fences will help much, maybe the wing is twisted (wash in) causing the stall to propagate inwards from the tip. A little up elevators (reflex) will certainly help as it reduces the effective angle of attack at modest angles. Flaps down on the other hand increase the effective angle of attack while increasing camber and tendency to resist a stall. Getting a model dialed in requires a lot of knowledge and understanding, each one is different and often requires input from a number of people.

Don't get discouraged, remember it is a journey but the prize is a flying experience you will never forget.

The worst tip stalling mongrel I ever had was a Hyperion Sukhoi 31 10e (red) we bought 3 of them cheap and none lasted long. Tried everything including a little leading edge slat on the tip. This was better but not much. Turned out that the big round cowl being mated to a square fuselage was bleeding high energy air over the wing root causing the tip to stall before the root, Fixed it by blocking up the gap between fuse and cowl, hey presto a pussy cat !!! Trouble was the last one was pretty beat up by the time we worked this out so it got discarded for ugliness not the way it flew.
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 06:47 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparherb View Post
To make this long story short...after three great maiden flights my Beaver was blown off a pit table upside down on to the ground three feet below. Damage appeared to be stripped MN48 in the elevator and one flap. After repair and general going over including checking surface throws and balance up she goes again. Only this time she requires tons of left aileron trim. After landing and adjusting sub trim to get more regular trim, up she goes again. Still needs seven or eight clicks of left aileron trim, but now she flies great.....just like the original maiden. The aircraft flies great, had three more flight yesterday, but sitting on the ground the left aileron is about 5-6 degrees up above trailing edge. I've checked for broken wing and nothing.....any ideas appreciated. Is it O.K. to fly it like it is. I'm not an aerobatic pilot, so just smooth flying is what I'm after. Thanks for looking.
I'm willing to take a stab at it, but did you check your flaps in the up position to make sure there is no induced roll being cause by uneven flaps? 5 to 6 degrees of offset is a lot for the aileron to be trimmed for level flight. I'm assuming your setup is for independent aileron control.

You also stated that you had stripped the elevator servo, so that tells me that your problem could possibly be in the tail. Have you checked for any damage there and the tails alignment in relation to the wings? I had a prang in the earlier sessions of flying my Beaver that involved the breaking of the tail wheel bracket, right horizontal stab tip and a hidden crack in the right horizontal stab. It was hidden because the Ultracote was not in any way damaged and I found it by accidentally flexing the stab while fixing the other problem.

Hope that may be of help to you.
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Today, 07:09 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
351 Posts
This is why I love this forum....."Rem" those are excellent suggestions and I have not considered either one. The tip of the elevator did get broken but not off so a little CA and it was fixed but I have not looked closely at the tail angle and the flap. So thank you very much, I guess it's back to checking it over real good again.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb