HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:17 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
I finally got around to replacing those little 1" square plastic pads that the elevon servos sit on. When I was building the plane it seemed that they weren't big enough and stiff enough to solidly hold the servo. It wouldn't be an issue with a stiffer type of foam, but with EPP the servo can still rock back and forth while compressing the foam. The foam under the pads gradually breaks down and they rock even more. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the rudder due to the shorter servo arm and less torque on the control surface.

I used two pieces of balsa 1-1/4" x 3" with the grain running in the direction of travel. What a difference! I wish I would have done it long ago. I flew it yesterday and that old mushy feeling is gone.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:51 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Good flying and good video. How do you manage to upload to Youtube and still maintain such clarity. I have a good quality hand held video camera that takes awesome videos, but when I upload them they end up way more fuzzy than yours.
This forum does give a lot of info for my camera. I use the videopad software to edit and then convert it from .mov to .avi file. This does compress the file a lot but keeps the 720p resolution and still looks good. I don't use any of the editing or video stabilization from Youtube.
boa2110 is online now Find More Posts by boa2110
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:48 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
UMX Bug

I finally got around to putting that crashed SBach to good use by using the hardware in my first scratch built plane. It actually flies! The UMX receiver has the ESC built into the board so it is very light, and the linear servos are only 1.7 grams each. With battery, the weight is 71 grams, compared to 192 for the regular Bug. As you can see in the pic, the wing area is about half of the full size model.

The wings are 4mm Dollar Store foam and the fuse is 10mm Cellfoam 88. I didn't get a decent chance to test it yesterday because it was windy. It was way tail heavy on the first flight so I put 3 grams of weight on the nose and that settled it down. The battery was as far ahead as it would go, so I guess it needs a bigger battery or else some weight shaved off the tail.

It's snowing today but I'm looking forward to testing it in calm air.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,145 Posts
you now have a mini bug or either that a flea bug. Good job on your first scratch build and now you're hooked into trying to build "things that fly" syndrome have fun
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:00 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
225 Posts
Looks great. Did you use the SBach components with the AS3X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I finally got around to putting that crashed SBach to good use by using the hardware in my first scratch built plane. It actually flies! The UMX receiver has the ESC built into the board so it is very light, and the linear servos are only 1.7 grams each. With battery, the weight is 71 grams, compared to 192 for the regular Bug. As you can see in the pic, the wing area is about half of the full size model.

The wings are 4mm Dollar Store foam and the fuse is 10mm Cellfoam 88. I didn't get a decent chance to test it yesterday because it was windy. It was way tail heavy on the first flight so I put 3 grams of weight on the nose and that settled it down. The battery was as far ahead as it would go, so I guess it needs a bigger battery or else some weight shaved off the tail.

It's snowing today but I'm looking forward to testing it in calm air.
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:30 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000 View Post
Looks great. Did you use the SBach components with the AS3X?
It was from the original SBach without AS3X, as I decided to keep it simple for now and see if it would fly. I had one of the newer boards given to me recently, but it has two servos on the board, and one of them would end up being dead weight.

It would be amazing to see this plane fly with gyros, but I don't know if it is possible to do that with elevons. The first obstacle is that both ailerons need to be on a single channel for the gyros to work. Also, the pitch axis is controlled by the elevator channel, and that one is not used on the Bug. Maybe it would be possible with some mixes on the TX. If anybody knows a way to make it work...I'm all ears.

As I am typing this, I did a quick search and came up with a video of somebody doing it on a small jet, but he only has AS3X on yaw and roll. On the Bug it is the pitch axis that is the most critical, and I can't see much of an advantage to using it just on yaw and roll.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
225 Posts
You are fortunate that you used the set-up without AS3X because the AS3X can not be used with elevons. I found out the hard way with a small wing.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 10:02 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
Quote:
You are fortunate that you used the set-up without AS3X because the AS3X can not be used with elevons. I found out the hard way with a small wing.
Did you get it to work on the bench, but then it wouldn't fly? What happened?
Old Mar 08, 2014, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2009
225 Posts
Control surfaces moved properly on the bench, but in the air the AS3X, when attempting to correct for wind and whatever moved the surfaces in the wrong direction.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:38 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
Today the wind died and I made several test flights. It goes like a bullet and is more touchy on the controls than the regular Bug, but it is also more precise due to the stiffer airframe. It is more difficult to hold a high-alpha and fly slow, but it is better than the regular Bug on the fast maneuvers.

I had to put quite a bit of weight on the nose, but finally found the right CG location. It also took some fiddling with control throws to tame it down. Now I need to take some weight off the tail or use a bigger battery, or maybe a little of both in order to get rid of the dead weight. I'm thrilled that my first scratch-build flies at all, let alone this well.

It's a good thing it had some soft snow to crash into, or it would never have lasted the day. Now that I finally found the CG location and control throws, I should be able to fly it without crashing (fingers crossed). It rained a bit and if it freezes tonight, that snow will be like cement.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 06:43 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
An AS3X board meant for elevons is for the no longer sold HyperTaxi.
But as a warning, that board assumes 2 rudders, one above and one below the centerline, and I believe uses those rudders to help increase the roll rate.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
I am still flying my Bug clone. Haven't bothered to build another one yet...just keep repairing this one. I used my cell phone to video it this time.
bug (1 min 39 sec)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
Now decommissioned waiting to trace out new Bug.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
Ready for hardware to be installed
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:04 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,633 Posts