Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:20 PM
United States, NY, Mastic
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza Vieth View Post
Hi again,

For anyone who is interested, attached is also an image of how I attached the fan onto the aircraft. As this is my first scratch build (without outside help so far), any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Until next time,

Jeremy
The ft-22 uses the prop wash for maneuverability making an edf very difficult to get working. I've built 4, 3 with props that flew fantastic and 1 with a 70mm edf that was a bear. I know of only 1 guy who got the plane flying with the edf setup. BTW, my latest ft-22 sounds just like a jet, I taped the hole for the prop with packing tape and it totally changed the sound.

All in all, pull the edf and put in a prop and you will love this plane.

PS, my last plane is a modified ft-22 with strengthening throughout, I'll post pictures real soon.
gman1185 is offline Find More Posts by gman1185
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:20 PM
United States, NY, Mastic
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
OK- After analyzing my two crashed ft-22 s I've come up with some easy mods to strengthen this bird. Here's what I did.
1. filled the nose the a piece of foam I took from the packing for a wide screen tv and cut to shape.
2. doubled up the dtf where ever the fuselage met the wing section. These pieces were cut after the fact and hot glued on. Most important are the two cutouts where the body and wing join.
3. Put strapping tape above and below the wing section from one side , using hot glue to affix it and then covering with packing tape, this provides a lot of rigidity.
4. added wooden skewer to critical points that had failed in the other planes.
5. Used a two piece stick mount instead of recommended ft mount. DID NOT screw pieces together, so if the prop catches on landing the whole motor pulls out and the prop gets no damage. This also puts the thrust line closer to the center.
6. all joints tacked with hot glue then epoxied then hot glued over epoxy and smoothed in.

Took pictures after maiden which flew great. Then proceeded to fly straight into a fence when I came in a little hot during a landing. Damage was minimal mostly due to the foam in the nose and the skewers on the inside of the fuselage, which took most of the impact and were easily replaced being that they are not glued into the foam but rather the sides of the fuselage with light dots of hot glue.. I couldn't believe my idea of sacrificial skewers worked perfectly.

Hope some of this helps you guys to build a ft-22 that flies great and can take some beatings.
gman1185 is offline Find More Posts by gman1185
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
576 Posts
Printed up the plans for the FT cruiser and have them all taped together. Looking forward to my first attempt at a twin engine plane. Going with two motors like the one I have on my versa wing that will do 79mph so the cruiser should be pretty dag on quick.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Today, 07:22 AM
crash expert
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2014
214 Posts
I build an FT Nutball and FT Flier swappable tonight..
felixx is offline Find More Posts by felixx
Old Today, 10:02 AM
Joined May 2014
1 Posts
JUst spent the morning reading this thread and seems the power pod is a weak spot- I rebuilt mine with coroplast found a video on youtube and really like it- you can get the coroplast at lowes or hd just go to the sign section (for sale / yard sale signs) a little heavier but i dont notice it when flying but my awesome nose dives do not result in needing to uild a new pod- hope this helps someone- im just a newbie
Scott
Rc kiter is online now Find More Posts by Rc kiter