Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:07 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
Discussion
Hughes 500E Gasser

I am going to build a Hughes 500E Gasser 1/7 scale Funky, with a 5 blade head, I would to know if any buddy here has a set-up for one, like head speed and blade size.

Thanks
mcfast is offline Find More Posts by mcfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,383 Posts
Questions to ask:

Is this your first scale helicopter?
What is your budget?
What heads have you looked at so far?
What blades have you looked at so far?
What is your chassis and can you get reduced size main gears, pinions, or intermediate gears?
The body kit is good and comes with enough hardware for most installations. You can spend large or small but be careful when spending really small as there will be repercussions felt later, especially in a crash. I don't have a gasser but I do have a Fun-Key 500MD TOW Defender with a five blade head that has gone through many changes and on its second head and trial blades. There is precious little difference in setup aside from a slightly bigger rotor head and blade diameter. Let's here what you've got. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:45 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
Is this your first scale helicopter? YES

What is your budget? LOTS

What heads have you looked at so far? DIAMOND V2 5-BLADE 600-700 SIZE ALL METAL
or Aerodyne SUPER SCALE FIVE-BLADE ROTOR HEAD (700-SIZE)

What blades have you looked at so far? Aerodyne SPINBLADES MATTE BLACK SCALE 5 BLADE SET 600MM

What is your chassis Radikal G30 V2

can you get reduced size main gears, pinions, or intermediate gears? the lowest they make is 6.9, a little to fast, need a motor with good torque.
mcfast is offline Find More Posts by mcfast
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,383 Posts
My experiences do not include working with gas or nitro motor systems so that is why I asked about the availability of gearing. In a perfect world, you would need something to spin the head at about 1350 to 1500 rpm. The Century heads are worth every penny and make a great choice for a first scale build. They can easily be mechanically phased or you can do that with a number of 3 axis gyros on the market. I have used Century semi-symmetrical blades with great results and for the first time on my multi-blade helicopters, I am trying out a set of Spin Blades scale 600mm blades. So far, they do have some getting used to from the pitch curves I had set up for the Century blades and that is not a bad thing. They are very different in profile and thickness so their performance is very different but I will get a better idea of what is going on once I get the body I am rebuilding back onto the chassis.

I am not a fan of the "Plug n Play heads out there because in my opinion, the links are a compromise in performance. In a perfect world, you would have the pitch links go straight up from the swash plate to the blade grip. It is my preference to set the mechanics up like the original full size helicopter or to use the timing in the software of the gyro to set the phasing of the blades. It is also possible to use a combination of mechanical and electronic phasing to set the link rods perfectly vertical. I have an unusual way to set the phasing and when pilots look at my swash plate in operation, most scratch their heads.

Good luck with the build and hope it goes smoothly. I am sure that you will be able to get the gearing you need to reduce the rotor speed and still keep the motor in its sweet spot. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger