HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:22 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
Okay fellow pilots!! I've done it .... the repairs are compete. I went out this morning and flew two more flights bringing the total to 329. YEEE HAAAAAA!! In making the repairs I decided to remove the engine cylinder head, for the first time since I got it from Fox, because it was really stiff at T.D.C. and I thought there may have been some damage. I couldn't find anything of note other than the very heavy carbonization of the head and cylinder wall. Using my finger I couldn't feel any significant build up and I was afraid to use my Dremel to clean it out. As a result I just remounted the cylinder head and decided to try it again. The only negative I have about the engine run today is the need to use my electric starter to get it fired up. I've ordered some Brodak 10/23 castor/synthetic fuel because up until now every run (well over 225 have been with the Brodak 10/29 all castor fuel). Anybody got some "easy" solutions?

Propaplace most of what I know of Foxes is only what I've been told, but some things to check, and you may already know. The crankcases are easy to deform. As you put it back together, while cross tightening, keep rotating the crankshaft feeling for any sign of binding. Go in small increments. This applies to the head bolts, the backplate bolts and also the mounting bolts. Maybe taking it apart and re-assembling it will free it up.
Rusty
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:07 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Propaplace most of what I know of Foxes is only what I've been told, but some things to check, and you may already know. The crankcases are easy to deform. As you put it back together, while cross tightening, keep rotating the crankshaft feeling for any sign of binding. Go in small increments. This applies to the head bolts, the backplate bolts and also the mounting bolts. Maybe taking it apart and re-assembling it will free it up.
Rusty
Thanks Rusty. I only removed the head just to "peek" and see what I could see. I'll be quick to admit I just don't know or trust myself messing around with the guts of the thing. Guess I was thinking I might see something "easy" to correct. I did as you suggested when it came to tightening the screws, alternating them to a point of "2 fingers" tight. I flew it again today (flight #330) and it seems to run all right, just a bit harder to hand crank thus I have to resort to the electric starter.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:50 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Engines similar to a Fox stunt, with a plain bearing crankshaft, are quickly ruined by electric starters, which damage that front bushing*, which starts by leaking oil and fuel out the front, and soon leaks crankcase compression that way.

P. S. I forgot the backplate scoring from the crankpin, and potential intake of aluminum shavings into the combustion chamber, where they can create a variety of unwanted types of damage.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Mar 11, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:08 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Testor McCoy .35 uses a nylon button at the end of the crank to protect it from rubbing against the backplate. Use of electric starter will ruin the nylon button. Besides, all these CL engines if properly primed, needles set and a good glow starter battery will start on the first several flips. Electric start is unnecessary.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:20 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
I'll 3rd that! No engine needs an electric starter if set up properly.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:06 AM
United States, MN, New Prague
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
I surely can't put a number on the flights, but here's a Jr. Flite Streak that was flown for years and years ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27762750

I built it in the '60s - and, for all I know, it may still be flying!

Dennis
ama353 is offline Find More Posts by ama353
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:06 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama353 View Post
I surely can't put a number on the flights, but here's a Jr. Flite Streak that was flown for years and years ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post27762750

I built it in the '60s - and, for all I know, it may still be flying! Dennis
Wow, Dennis, that's a neat plane and wins all on humble Fox power!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
Engines similar to a Fox stunt, with a plain bearing crankshaft, are quickly ruined by electric starters, which damage that front bushing*, which starts by leaking oil and fuel out the front, and soon leaks crankcase compression that way.

P. S. I forgot the backplate scoring from the crankpin, and potential intake of aluminum shavings into the combustion chamber, where they can create a variety of unwanted types of damage.

Kiwi
Thanks! It seems that I remember reading about this or hearing some of the guys talking about this somewhere in the dark recesses of my memories.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
I'll 3rd that! No engine needs an electric starter if set up properly.
L.O.L.!! I'll 4th that .... but .... the bandage on my finger keeps gettin' bigger and bigger if I don't! R.O.T.F.L.!!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Wow, Dennis, that's a neat plane and wins all on humble Fox power!
Hey, that's neat! It looks a lot like the Peacemakers that I built for the BritPlan contest last year. Do you still fly it? I've flow both of mine and they were pretty kool. I need to take the OS 10 off the one because although it flies it just doesn't have the "zip" we all hope for.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:03 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Hey, that's neat! It looks a lot like the Peacemakers that I built for the BritPlan contest last year. Do you still fly it? I've flow both of mine and they were pretty kool. I need to take the OS 10 off the one because although it flies it just doesn't have the "zip" we all hope for.
Yes, still do. Waiting for the weather to finish the clearcoat fuel proof spray on my Ringmaster S-1 with Testor McCoy .35 Red Head, before her maiden flight.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:35 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
That may mean you grabbed a slow OS 10. The FSR ,10 model is a screamer for its size, and ought to do well enough on either a FS Jr (really good on it) or the Peacemaker, I'm thinking.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kiwi View Post
That may mean you grabbed a slow OS 10. The FSR ,10 model is a screamer for its size, and ought to do well enough on either a FS Jr (really good on it) or the Peacemaker, I'm thinking.

Kiwi
Oh, it runs well enough but I'm not "WOW" after a flight! Know what I mean?? The one with the Brodak 15 makes me smile!!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:39 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
Quote:
L.O.L.!! I'll 4th that .... but .... the bandage on my finger keeps gettin' bigger and bigger if I don't! R.O.T.F.L.!!
Hahahaha! You need one of these.... just eat it while your finger is healing!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arup View Post
hahahaha! You need one of these.... Just eat it while your finger is healing!
r.o.t.f.l!!