HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:08 AM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Build Log
Engel Type VIIC Build

Starting a build log for this model was not on my mind since there were a few others and this log would not add anything new.

But, I did manage to find a way to install the magnetic switch and BEC so that it would be easy to turn power on/off between runs during a day at the pond. I had the magnetic switch back in the aft electronics bay with the TMAX, Motors and ESC's but the wiring was a nightmare and there was a significant distance between the magnetic switch and the outside of the hull.

It turns out that by placing the magnetic switch between the stern plane and rudder servos I can get access to turn the electronics on/off by removing the conning tower.

The first picture shows the BEC neatly tucked away on one of the spacers in the servo section. The second picture shows the magnetic switch between the two servos. It will be visible at the rear of the conning tower opening to allow access for the magnet to operate the switch. The Third picture shows the two jumper sockets that are used to keep the two 10 cell packs separated when stored. The sockets are also wired to allow charging the packs separately. Wiring them in parallel permanently seems like a very bad idea. This removed a lot of clutter at the stern electronics bay and greatly simplified the wiring.

There are a few other issues to deal with and they will go into future posts.

Cheers,

IR3
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
New Battery Pack

It has been almost 3 months but I finally have the new bulkheads for the Sub C Engel Battery pack. I have the pack built and ready to install. It is not without its little problems but with a bit of filing and censored remarks it is together. I can now get on the fast track to get it into the water.

IR3
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Battery Pack and Magnetic Switch

The new battery pack is in but being a bit lighter, more ballast will probably be needed. Having the 4.8V group eliminates the BEC and simplifies the wiring. Engel supplies an electronic switch that switches the 4.8V battery to the RX, the small square item in the pictures. Now to finish the sub.

IR3
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:17 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
TAES Mount

Another hitch in the git along. If the TAES is mounted on the shelf provided, the slot to pass the servo leads is completely blocked. I had to rip out the old shelf and install a new one a little deeper towards the center line of the Tech Rack to get the clearance. So far, the only electronic accessory that fit properly is the LTR5.

IR3
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:48 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi AR3,

You are going strong I see I do not use the TAES and I did remove this shelf earlier in my build already..

The new battery packs looks great and I think worth the waiting on them.
Its indeed will simplify the wiring greatly.
I still have a challenge with the wiring to do.

But it looks that your Sub will feel water first

Looks good,

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Apr 25, 2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Grama
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Engel Type VIIC Update

It's been a while since the last update. The Tech Rack if finished less the receiver which will go in as soon as I solve some new problems.

I should have been very careful at the beginning of the build when mating the aft hull section with the forward hull section. After putting in the forward bulkhead that the Tech Rack locks into I did not have the aft part of the hull firmly locked into place to maintain the alignment. The pictures will show the resulting result. I will have to find a way of breaking the bond between the aft bulkhead and the aft hull piece and re-bonding it with the gaps and alignment a bit more accurate. There is a difference in size of the aft hull section and the forward hull section of 1+mm which I will not be able to correct.

Hopefully after painting and weathering it will not be too obvious.

The pics show some of the hull detail that I put on and also some of the slots in the deck. Not nearly as neat as Horseman or Crowman but once again, after painting and weathering, not that noticeable. The top picture under the opening for the conning tower shows the mag switch which is very conveniently located and can be activated by removing the conning tower assembly.

More to come after dealing with the aft/forward hull seam.

IR3
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Refitting Tech Rack

The pictures show how misaligned the tech rack is when locked into the forward bulkhead. For the fix, I first removed the aft hull section completely. I should have thought about this real early in the build. Once the aft hull section is assembled to the Tech Rack assembly it is a nightmare to get the shafts out. I do not have hands or tools small enough to get through the hatch.

The next step was to remove the forward cone with the locking plate for the Tech Rack. This rekindles my worst nightmare. It is bad enough getting the top nut on and tightened but the bottom nut is nearly impossible.

Elongating the slots to lock in the Tech Rack was next. I forgot to take a picture of the elongated slots before returning the cone to the hull.

The last picture shows the rear bulkhead now lines up properly.

The final bit of work will be to install 5 blocks on the aft Tech Rack bulkhead and screw the aft hull section in place. There is not a lot of stress on the rear hull section and holding it on with screws will allow for maintenance without having to tear the thing apart.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:50 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Fix For Detachable Aft Hull Section

Continuing work on the aft hull section mountings. Once this is done and the appropriate pieces are put in the aft hull, it will be removable and make it easy to change prop shafts if necessary. The blind nuts are in (Pic 1) and the retainers are in (Pic 2) to keep the blind nuts from pulling out.

Next step is to put the mounting blocks in the aft hull section, do some finish work and epoxy and a major headache is taken care of.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Jan 09, 2014, 12:10 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Back In Action

They say the best thing when frustrated is to lay off for a while. Well it has been too long. I started back on the mounting tabs for the rear cone. I wanted to make this cone removable to make maintenance on the prop shafts a bit easier. The first tab is epoxied in and there will be 4 more. This should be sufficiently strong enough to manage the removable WTC. I should have the rest of the tabs mounted in the next day or two. There is also some damage to the bottom of the cone that will need some attention.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:30 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Tail Cone Mods

The 5 mounting points are now installed in the tail cone. It is not very elegant but gets the job done. With 5 tabs I should hold very well when removing the Tech Rack. Now if there are any problems with the prop shafts I can remove the tail cone and do the servicing. Now it is back to the final fitting of the WTC lexan tube.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:15 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Primer and Aft Rudders and Planes

With the mounting tabs in place the hull and aft cone were primed. The rudder and aft dive planes are installed. The next task will be to mark the waterline and get the dark paint below the waterline and the light gray above. The deck will probably be done in a gray that is in between. I am not a stickler for scale colors.

Working in the aft section of this hull is very difficult. The aft end of the Type VII/C is very narrow and this is reflected in the kit. With my hands, It is extremely difficult.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:00 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi IR,

You are going well,

Its indeed very narrow in the stern tube and thats why I changed the linkage there to make it more surviseable,

But its still very narrow,

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Jan,
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:04 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Hull Painted

Hi Jan,

Yes, very difficult area to work in. I am glad you posted some pictures of your build. I helped greatly in laying out the stern controls. The hull is painted so now I can get back to finalizing the WTC. It is very difficult to get a full view and if I use close ups all of my dismal painting will be exposed. Still waiting for a new LTR6. Is functionality is improved and with extra servo plugs, it reduces the wiring clutter a bit by eliminating a Y harness.

Until next time,

IR3
Old Jan 25, 2014, 04:05 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi IR3,

Your Sub looks great in her new colors.

If you take a look in my build about this Sub you will find more detailed info how I solved the stern difficulties, maybe it helps you with the problems you encounter.

However you are taking the lead now because I did not even start the wiring yet

Keep up the great work,

Regards,

Jan,
Old Feb 02, 2014, 10:27 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
New LTR

The new LTR6 just arrived on Saturday and it is time to install it. It is a very nice design in that it eliminates Y harness to control the aft and forward planes. Not only does it eliminate the Y harness but supplies both +/- outputs if the servos are not moving in the right direction.

The first picture shows the LTR5 clutter and the second shows the clean LTR6 installation.

I will now get started on recalibrating the electronics.

Until next time,

IR3