HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:41 AM
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Nov 2012
226 Posts
Discussion
Going to place an order on Hobbyking from the global warehouse to the UK?

Hello
I've heard a lot of negative things about HobbyKing so I'm a bit worried about placing an order there and I don't really know what to expect as this is the first time ordering from them. I'm ordering from the global warehouse and everything weighs 4988g, so it's quite heavy. I'm ordering an AXN floater plus a lot of electrical parts and a HobbyKing TX and RX. I'm also buying stuff for another plane I'll be making. Altogether it costs $136.36 (84.54). Shipping by SCS Express UK (MAX 5kg) will cost $80.68 (49.72). I just wanted to know how much I'll be charged by customs, admin and tax, as HobbyKing don't mention any prices for this. Does anyone know how much it'll cost me altogether to get it to my doorstep? Also would it be better to place smaller orders or one big order (like I've done here), or should I just avoid HobbyKing altogether? I know there is a UK warehouse, but the stuff there is limited and I need stuff that I can only get from the global warehouse, or would it be better to place two orders, one from the UK warehouse and one from the global warehouse. If I did it this way, it would end up slightly more expensive than if I ordered it all from the global warehouse, but I don't want to get charged ridiculous amounts from customs. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated, sorry if this is long and confusing, I'm just getting into the hobby.
AmyW is offline Find More Posts by AmyW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Hello
I've heard a lot of negative things about HobbyKing so I'm a bit worried about placing an order there and I don't really know what to expect as this is the first time ordering from them. I'm ordering from the global warehouse and everything weighs 4988g, so it's quite heavy. I'm ordering an AXN floater plus a lot of electrical parts and a HobbyKing TX and RX. I'm also buying stuff for another plane I'll be making. Altogether it costs $136.36 (84.54). Shipping by SCS Express UK (MAX 5kg) will cost $80.68 (49.72). I just wanted to know how much I'll be charged by customs, admin and tax, as HobbyKing don't mention any prices for this. Does anyone know how much it'll cost me altogether to get it to my doorstep? Also would it be better to place smaller orders or one big order (like I've done here), or should I just avoid HobbyKing altogether? I know there is a UK warehouse, but the stuff there is limited and I need stuff that I can only get from the global warehouse, or would it be better to place two orders, one from the UK warehouse and one from the global warehouse. If I did it this way, it would end up slightly more expensive than if I ordered it all from the global warehouse, but I don't want to get charged ridiculous amounts from customs. Any help and/or advice would be much appreciated, sorry if this is long and confusing, I'm just getting into the hobby.
Hi AmyW, it's nice to see another girl in the hobby. I'm not going to be too helpful with the customs and tax question since I'm in the USA. It looks like the prices from the UK warehouse are quite a bit higher I assume the Customs charges have been added on. That's a pretty heavy order maybe 2 smaller orders would offer more shipping options.
Have you considered the Bixler vs the AXN Floater. It's a very similar plane, a little larger but 1000g lighter shipping Wt. It's a few dollars cheaper but does not include the ESC. I like the Bixler a little more and it includes a pilot in the canopy. Just my opinion. Welcome to the hobby. Use Paypal when ordering, they provide some free buyer protection if you run into problems.
co pilot is offline Find More Posts by co pilot
Last edited by co pilot; Jan 01, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by co pilot View Post
Have you considered the Bixler vs the AXN Floater. It's a very similar plane, a little larger but 1000g lighter shipping Wt. It's a few dollars cheaper but does not include the ESC. I like the Bixler a little more and it includes a pilot in the canopy. Just my opinion. Welcome to the hobby. Use Paypal when ordering, they provide some free buyer protection if you run into problems.
+1 to all of that. The bixler is great, the axn is one of my favorites. The axn can go slow and stable, or fast as all heck and still, very stable

Always use paypal when shopping online regardless of where its from. Possibly post over on the hk forum about the customs questions as I am in the U.S. and I am sure its different. Let us know what you decide!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,663 Posts
I've been buying from the HK international warehouse for well over 6 years or more now and i've only ever had a couple of silly little problems that there CS department sorted out in a matter of minutes,so i strongly recommend them especially how expensive this hobby can be if your buying from a local hobby shop and some other online RC outlets.

As far as custom charges and taxes goes goes,it use to be a bit of a hit and miss affair weather our parcels would get stopped and charged at all,more miss than hit in my case,but over the last few months it's it been more hit than miss i'm sorry to say,i've brought some big planes from HK to come to the UK and if i get charged the most i've ever had to pay is around the 20 mark all in,but i have read others who say they get charged a lot more than this,as i haven't as yet who knows what to make of it.

I got my AXN from the UK warehouse and saved the 20 but as you want to get a few other parts that the UK warehouse might not have in stock as of yet,i'd get if from the international warehouse and just add around the 20 mark into your costs,as i tend to think you would be better off getting it all from one warehouse but thats down to you at the end of the day,good luck and welcome to the hobby and no matter if you did get charged over the 20 mark for taxes and what have you which i doubt,you would still be better off in the long run than buying your RC gear from a local hobby shop or other online out lets IMHO.
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz