Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:32 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
2.5oz indoor/outdoor Wasp

Well I know if I got rid of all the wires and other junk it could have been a 2oz Wasp but hey I was given the parts and told to try it, so I did. If it was all mine I do things a little differant.

So I put the thing together and took it out and flew it. What a fun little plane. There was a 1-3mph breeze blowing but the Wasp handled pretty good. Can't wait to try it indoors in calm air.

GWS 4ch Rx
2 HE490 servos
GWS 50 ESC
7.4v 250ma lipoly
GWS B2C A-gear
GWS 5043 prop

Flew at 1/2 throttle with bursts to 3/4 to penitrate the breeze. This could be a prop hanger with a B2C C-gear in it. I might hate to give this plane back.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2003, 03:52 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
It isn't blue?

TOG,

Where is the fanfold?

OK, now how do we replicate in split fanfold?

However, it is very nice. What is the wing loading?

As lighter servos become more available this basic combo could become very popular. Has anyone done a piece on lightening the B2C? The basic gearbox setup is quite good, but there is a lot of plastic there to work down.

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Dec 02, 2003, 05:58 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
John I'm on my way out to speek at a club meeting on Fan fold planes and I only got the plane yesterday to try out and do some testing with. So I really didn't check the spec's just threw it together and gave it a try. Alls I know is its a fun little bugger and the more I think about it I want one of my own. I am torn, I never never fly build kits, but might have to make an exception with this one. ORRRR I could get some carbon and build my own than figure out how to add some foam to it.

Really its a blast and think it would be more fun if I cut some added weight out of it too, like wires and such.

The B2C could really be drilled out to make it lighter, there is alot of plastic there.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:00 PM
Alabama
Joined Aug 2003
23 Posts
what materials did you use for the construction? Is that a wire frame?
tjg417 is offline Find More Posts by tjg417
Old Dec 03, 2003, 12:04 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Carbon rod and solite covering. The fittings are really nice that hold the rod joints together. Later tonight I'll post the spec's on the plane.
Old Dec 04, 2003, 07:21 AM
Alabama
Joined Aug 2003
23 Posts
what size carbon rod did you use?
tjg417 is offline Find More Posts by tjg417
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:10 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
This is a kit. Its wings and tail surfaces are framed with 3/64th solid rod and the fuse is 3/32 solid rod the wing is 24" span with about 132 square inches of area. The total length is 20" long.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 07:08 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Thanks for this thread TOG.

Let's push it back up front.

Ordered a red Wasp from Todd. Per your recomendations elsewhere I'll be doing the X-brace.
MooseFlyR is offline Find More Posts by MooseFlyR
Old Dec 09, 2003, 08:15 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Lighter fuse

TOG,

I have been messing about with truss-style carbon fuses on the smallest planes as well as scaling it up for the Giant Indoor Thing. It may be a good place to start with the lightening.

Three rods in parallel with bracing. It adds drag, but makes up very light structures. A 4' truss for the GIT's tail support weighs in at 0.42 oz. The GIT is a very dicy experiment, but I think the three-rod fuse boom is something I will stay with for a while.

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Dec 09, 2003, 10:22 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Aeromicro has that nice 2gm. planetary which is also available with a pinion for the B2C motor. 5:1 ratio. I've got 3 of them for the IPS motors. They work well and are very quiet.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 10:56 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
I'll have to check them out.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 11:52 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
I just got my Wasp tonight.
The instructions are lacking. IMO.

Can you help ?

- The 36" of tubeing, Dose this stuff just slide over the entire length of the rudder and elevator CF rod ?

- The "elevator brace", Is this brace the 0.027" * 1/4" * 1 5/8" piece of carbon fiber that is in the kit ?

- Did yours come with a tail skid ? Mine seems to be missing.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Dec 10, 2003, 02:01 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Well, here is what arrived + the product I'll probably use in place of the monofiliment. I have already boil-dyed all the white nylon fittings / wheels /dubro EZ links for looks & strength. They are in the left bin. Not really visible in the right bin are several small pieces of clear vinyl tubing. The LG is an 11" piece of .055 wire which the builder is supposed to bend through the LPS gearbox frame to form the LG. I will be attaching it to the fuse just behind instead. The instructions are quite poorly written and confusing.

I also have parts issues. There are only 3 small pieces of .060 CF rod, all 2 1/8" long which I take to be the 3 joining spars for the tail. This leaves me short 1 tail skid and 1 elevator brace. plus, the joining spar for the rudder which should be shorter. (maybe 1 1/4"?)I have the CF to make the parts if I knew the dimensions. There is also no mention of the elevator brace or how to attach it. I will do the kevlar thread / CA bit. I am also missing 1 elbow and 1 tee.

TOG: what is your opinion on using the tubing cut to 2" sections all around the tail surfaces. Seems unecessary to me.

Last edited by MooseFlyR; Dec 10, 2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 02:13 PM
Slingerlands, NY
Joined Feb 2003
947 Posts
Nice design, but poorly executed kit so far.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 03:57 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Well guys when I get home I'll take a look but the plane I have was an Factory assembled sample. I'm just the product tester to see how it fly's. But to me it doesn't look to hard to build and maybe I'll need to check the kit sample to see how it is and if there is any problems with it. I just have to say that I'm a little upset, you guys got landing gear and I didn't, but I have a tail skid.

You know I'll take a few more pictures of the tail section and wing assembly for you so you can have a little something more to go with during construction.