HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
422 Posts
Discussion
Sowly - A magnificent Land and Lake Build

The plans for this craft are provided free for personal use by Christian Huber (of course the instructions and labels on the plans are in German, as are all the build instructions I have found - Thanks Google automatic translations of webpages.) I was guided to this jewel by "Cracksmeup" (Joe) from our posts and videos of the Magnum Reloaded (I am now working on #5 of that one)... I did a quick build using Owens Corning Fan Fold Foam Insulation. Despite several CRI moves and one "Deer in Headlights" brain pause on the first time out... It has proven to be a fun build as well as a fun gem to fly. Here is a video of my Third and 4th time out with her... About 4 minutes..

My next build will be the lake version.. I already have the pontoons made... I will put up here some pictures of the build process as well as some hints to help you avoid CRI's.

Tim has some great build photos starting on page 2 of this thread, as do others there after as well as Jurgen's tips.. Here is a starting place http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1686460&page=2

Here are the updated plans for slowly kindly provided by Jurgen
I just added the file "Rader.pdf" which is the plans for the wheel pants and the five hole wheels
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Last edited by ggrimley; Oct 07, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added the updated plans to the first post and added 5 hole wheels plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
422 Posts
Here is the link again

For some reason the link to the video got lost in the wild blue yonder... so we will try again..

Sowly V2 at aces field (4 min 41 sec)
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:19 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
Slooooooooowly

very nice vid and build.
I`m pleased to see Christians Slowly V2 on rcgroups.
I´ve drawn the plans for him from his paper templates. The free plans can be downloaded from VTH / Foamie, a German magacine, just scroll to......

http://www.vth.de/zeitschriften/foam...downloads.html

>>Downloadplan Slowly <<

additonal Floats by Christian..

>>Downloadplan Schwimmer für Slowly<<

I`ve got plans for additional oldtimer floats, see added PDF

videos of my version:

on land and water

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/c7968f26...wly-geht-baden

on water only

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/3fbbaaaa...3e5/Juergen-Be

Christians Slowly

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/7e0b50d0...1e56/Slowly-V2

first testflights indoor...

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/b5d8e7cb...cbf2/Slowly-V2

maybe we can see some more builds over here

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is offline Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
This is so beautiful! Nice vid. Been on the lookout for a RET type slowflyer...and this may be it! Awaiting some build pics and tips! Downloaded the plans and will look into them soon.

Whats a good power set up and Lipo suggestions?
Appreciated in advance!!
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Great video ggrimly I have not started mine yet but iam very happy to see you build and fly one and start a thread . Iam also happy to see jurgen stop by , he has helped me alot with some german free downloads and how to find and build them. Your slowly flys just like its name and would make a nice slow trainer or just a relaxing plane to fly. I agree with jurgen i hope more here build some. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:10 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
GG: a nice sweet flying old timer! You might want to add the first L in Slowly in the thread title, I skipped over it the first few times as I thought it was about agriculture!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,239 Posts
Nice
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:33 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
777 Posts
Nice, I like it
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:31 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
A good setup is a 24g motor like the HXT or Turnigy 2730-1700 and a GWS 8 x 4,3 prop on a 2s Lipo up to 1300mAh.
Two servos, +/- 9g are possible.

I have no build pics available, but for those who are able to read some German, there is a big thread on the German rcline forums with much photos. or use a translator. Only negative thing is, you have to register on that forums, to see the photos.

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...34#post3662434

Jürgen
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be View Post
A good setup is a 24g motor like the HXT or Turnigy 2730-1700 and a GWS 8 x 4,3 prop on a 2s Lipo up to 1300mAh.
Two servos, +/- 9g are possible.

I have no build pics available, but for those who are able to read some German, there is a big thread on the German rcline forums with much photos. or use a translator. Only negative thing is, you have to register on that forums, to see the photos.

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...34#post3662434

Jürgen
I did not need to read german for someone who posted the build pictures starting on page 6 of the german thread jurgen. As long as i have some pictures its all good. Thanks jurgen. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jul 08, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:55 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
492 Posts
Thanks for the info jurgen. Appreciated. With the plans...I guess I could figure what goes where eventually....lol. Would be fun like a jigsaw puzzle. Guess i could print them out and start cutting some depron, since I do have the electronics available. Now to find the time and hideaway.

Hope to build it soon and put some pics up. It'll make a nice relaxing plane to fly when I'm not in a 3D or sporty mood...
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
422 Posts
Here is a couple more videos of my first build... Even though I used Hot Glue and FFF and it comes in at a whapping 420g with the 44g motor and a 3 cell 800ma battery, I get about 9 minutes of take-off and landing practice. (edited to about 4 min. taken with a key chain #16 camera on my cap.)

Sowly at aces field Wheeled landings #2 (4 min 15 sec)
Last edited by ggrimley; Jul 08, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:17 PM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
I get about 9 minutes of take-off and landing practice. (edited to about 4 min. taken with a key chain #16 camera on my cap.)
]
Very nice,

for smooth landings, just leave a little throttle on the stick, no power off before tuch down. Try out as you want to fly by slower, and slower, give a little up elev. til it does not sink, then lower the throttle a bit more. The plane will decline and you`ve got the right speed for landings. Last inches before landing give just a little up elev again.

Jürgen
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
422 Posts
Some CRI's

Being of Norwegian Heritage some times gets in the way of real world facts...First time building I invoked my Norwegian perseverance (which is to take a mistake from one situation and apply it to future situations and expect different results).. I decided that if I kept the axle short, a 10" skewer would be fine, and if I used magnets to hold the wings in place (like on Magnum Reloaded) it would make it easy to transport... Here are the early results...

Needs some re engineering (1 min 29 sec)

After these attempts, I widened the wheel base to 11" and added rubber bands to hold the wings on. Results were much better

# 2 is on the cutting table, this one will be aquatic. I already have the Old Timer Floats made. This one also will be Owens Corning pink Fan Fold Foam, and will use this motor.. (I ordered two a while back when the HTX 24 gram motors were out of stock)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

I will post some build pictures along the way...
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
422 Posts
I am currently finishing a Magnum Reloaded made from Dollar Tree foam Board with the paper removed. It is then about 4.7mm thick and much lighter than FFF, I assume it is very similar to Depron, which I am too cheap to order... If it works, I will build Slowly out of it also... I late August I will be in Denver (only seven hours down the road) and hope to run down to Colorado Springs where they have a shop that sells Depron and Carbon Fiber rods and tubes quite reasonably, but shipping kills you... It looks like the Magnum will be about 240 grams, unlike the FFF ones put together with hot glue that come in at about 470 dry and 525 after a few water flights.