Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Question
Best Way to test a ESC

I had a plane come apart in midair(long story) and of resulted in a hard crash. I knew the motor was shot but the ESC looked just fine. When I hooked it up to another motor the motor would barely spin. So, what is the best way to tell if an ESC is good or bad?? Do I need a watt meter?
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Fleet on 7/22/2013
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:00 PM
Australia, NSW, McGraths Hill
Joined Mar 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb6684 View Post
I had a plane come apart in midair(long story) and of resulted in a hard crash. I knew the motor was shot but the ESC looked just fine. When I hooked it up to another motor the motor would barely spin. So, what is the best way to tell if an ESC is good or bad?? Do I need a watt meter?
what brand of esc mate and if so might need to be re programed with a program card as motor timing mode may be wrong for motor you are trying to run
park aviator is offline Find More Posts by park aviator
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:36 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,058 Posts
Quote:
. . . Do I need a watt meter?
Yes, a watt meter is indispensable when you are making adjustments to the power system. It will tell you when current levels are too high and potentially damaging. It is also important to have the published specifications of the components you're working on. If not provided by the manufacturer, they can often be located online.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
Yes, a watt meter is indispensable when you are making adjustments to the power system. It will tell you when current levels are too high and potentially damaging. It is also important to have the published specifications of the components you're working on. If not provided by the manufacturer, they can often be located online.
I can see the point of the Wattmeter when the ESC / motor is working combo - but here the guy has a non-working combo and a Wattmeter is no use whatsoever to him to get it working.

What he may need to do is to connect a meter to see if anything is coming out of ESC !

Personally with the price of ESC's now - is it worth trusting an ESC that you are unsure of ? My favourite 50mm EDF is in sorry state for this reason.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Personally with the price of ESC's now - is it worth trusting an ESC that you are unsure of ? My favorite 50mm EDF is in sorry state for this reason.

Nigel
I agree that is why it is going in the trash, recycle whatever. I was just curious if there was an easy way to test it.

By the way the ESC is a EZ Flite 50amp ESC w/3A BEC sold by HeadsUp RC and the motor I was using ia an eflite power 10.
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Fleet on 7/22/2013