HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Discussion
Rc plane field stand

Hi all. I just bought a Phoenix scanner and was thinking of how to make a stand so as to be able to put the wing on without having to worry about damaging the tail feathers. It would be good if it could also be used to transport it to and from the field. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
DIY: Make Your own RC Airplane work stand from PVC pipe, cheap! (3 min 22 sec)

Should do you.

Could go so far as to create a box at the base to store extra gear/tools, and put wheels on one end of the base and a handle on the opposite. Throw on some bungies or some sort of tie down for the fuse and you could even leave the plane in it and roll the whole shebang to and from the car, add some PVC rails off to one side you could put the wings in there. It would make one sweet RC tote. Probably could build it for less than $50 with parts sourced from Lowes or Home Depot. Instead of having the pipes slip in/out for easy transport put a bolt with a wing nut on the base when at the field to keep it together.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
The fields I have flown at we can drive right up and back our trucks back in, however looking at that video (and plenty of others on youtube) with a little imagination design something out of PVC. I tend to be good at imagining out ideas but bad at putting them on paper. Most of the time I buy a chunk of tubing and various fittings and play with them like legos and see what I can come up with and what I don't use for fittings just return.

Just looking at a design like that, I thought someone could easily break down a setup like that and run 3 way ends on the one side of the base, wheels on the other and attach the posts to use as a handle to/from the field.

I have done stuff with PVC pipes in the past for various ice fishing and yard games. One thing I found I like to use instead of bolts and wingnuts (which work fine but I always lose mine) is the smaller "hitch pins and clips" (not exactly sure of the exact name.....)

Probably not the exact advice you are looking for but hopefully it helps give you some ideas.

Good luck!
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Yesterday was the last day of school for the term and in tech studies we had a free lesson. The teacher had a few wooden carry alls left behind from last year and i scored a free one. I cut some wood for a cradle to go on top and now i have a practically free flight box.
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Jun 2011
89 Posts
Nice score! Free is always best and it sounds like it will work out well
dragonsm is offline Find More Posts by dragonsm
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Like my favourite saying. Cheap is good, free is better