Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:46 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
2,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Actually, the CC is much more than a tiny fun plane. When it's trimmed & balanced correctly, it actually has the personality of the full-scale Carbon Cub. That is a very big deal. And it doesn't need a bunch of down-elevator mixed with the flaps. That just makes the plane fly too fast with the flaps extended - which negates the reason for using flaps in the first place. It's pretty much the opposite of how planes are supposed to behave with the flaps down.

Regarding your strange throttle-aileron mix - if you simply trimmed your planes correctly, they'd fly straight without needing a bizarre mix. And if you bothered to read-up on the topic, you'd know that a throttle-aileron mix is wrong. (Yes, the art of flying has many rights & wrongs that are not simply matters of opinion - and this happens to be one of them. ) The fact that you "need" the mix on both of your planes when nobody else does should tell you that you need to change how you trim your planes. But for some reason, you don't want to do things correctly. So be it. However - if you ever wish to progress from the beginner/novice skill level to intermediate, you'll have to unlearn a bunch of very bad habits. Your call.

Good luck.

Joel

To me the CC is a tiny fun plane. It is tiny, I have fun, it is a plane. What is funny is my flights seems to be just as "qualified" as yours. For some reason some members here seem to share the same posting characteristics, it is most curious. Okay, I think we are done here.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:50 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
2,012 Posts
I love these guys!

Great minds think alike.

http://flitetest.com/articles/Throttle_Mixing_Flite_Tip
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:26 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,257 Posts

that was a fun couple o pages

EM I hope you got your lil cub sorted and flying nicely. It's a fun little stinker.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
359 Posts
Quote:
EM,

Well, I know why she banks left. The wings appear to be twisted. It's very noticeable in the two head-on shots. Notice how the LE of the port wing twists downward outside of the strut & the starboard wing twists upward? Downward twist near the wingtip is called washout. A bit of washout on a non-aerobatic plane is a good thing. The reduced AoA near the wingtips assures that the inboard part of the wing will stall before the outboard part. This makes planes a lot more friendly during slow-flight because it reduces the tendency for tip-stalls & also increases aileron effectiveness at low speeds. When the outer part of the wing has a higher AoA than the inner part, the opposite is true. That is called wash-in, and it is highly undesirable. It will make a plane downright evil at low speed.

In your case, it appears that the port wing has excessive washout, and the starboard wing appears to have a ton of wash-in. Not only is that causing the left-banking tendency, it may also be causing the ballooning. The next step is to remove the struts & adjust them to the suggested lengths in the CC guide. The metal tips are threaded. Just crank 'em in or out, as needed. Note that the left & right struts are not interchangeable.

Once you've done that, take some more pics. Also - be absolutely sure to zero all tx trim, then fire-up the plane & let it initialize (this centers the servos). Be sure that you do not engage AS3X, as doing that will screw everything up at this point. Once the plane initializes, disconnect the batt, and then mechanically center all control surfaces. Also, measure the CG, and adjust it to 27mm aft from the LE. Be sure that you do all of the above before attempting to fly the plane again.

Joel
I looked at my paper manual and the manual I downloaded online and couldn't find any information on the struts. What are the measurements supposed to be, or does it not matter so long as the front struts on each side and the rear struts on each side are the same as one another?
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:28 PM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Feb 2013
142 Posts
E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS

Quote:
Actually, the CC is much more than a tiny fun plane. When it's trimmed & balanced correctly, it actually has the personality of the full-scale Carbon Cub. That is a very big deal. And it doesn't need a bunch of down-elevator mixed with the flaps. That just makes the plane fly too fast with the flaps extended - which negates the reason for using flaps in the first place. It's pretty much the opposite of how planes are supposed to behave with the flaps down.

Regarding your strange throttle-aileron mix - if you simply trimmed your planes correctly, they'd fly straight without needing a bizarre mix. And if you bothered to read-up on the topic, you'd know that a throttle-aileron mix is wrong. (Yes, the art of flying has many rights & wrongs that are not simply matters of opinion - and this happens to be one of them. ) The fact that you "need" the mix on both of your planes when nobody else does should tell you that you need to change how you trim your planes. But for some reason, you don't want to do things correctly. So be it. However - if you ever wish to progress from the beginner/novice skill level to intermediate, you'll have to unlearn a bunch of very bad habits. Your call.

Good luck.

Joel

I agree 1000%
When I started flying RC it was the norm to set up an aircraft to fly on the basic 4 Chanel tx no mix or expo on the old analog 4 Chanel tx so I had to mechanically mix throttle and pitch on my first glow powered heli no gyro on the tail so I had to compensate for main rotor torque manually (talk about busy thumbs) it took everything I had just to get in air
Kryton is offline Find More Posts by Kryton
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
400 Posts
My CC came with one wing straight and the other wing had washout.
I didn't know that the metal rod in the struts was threaded so I re-bent the metal rod so that my wings had the same amount of washout.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
2,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
My CC came with one wing straight and the other wing had washout.
I didn't know that the metal rod in the struts was threaded so I re-bent the metal rod so that my wings had the same amount of washout.
Yes it is astounding how they make no mention of this in the very inadequate manual.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
Where do you define the back of the battery tray?
See attached pic
bobbutts is online now Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
How can I get some of the tundra tires? I PM'd bhoov but no response....
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,257 Posts
PM replied to. Sorry bout dat.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
754 Posts
No prob, thank you for the wheels.
After surveying the past few pages of this thread, and as a new CC owner- first, thanks to turboparker for sharing his vast and well-written knowledge that is applicable to all of my other planes, and second- is this plane hard to setup cg wise? Followed turboparker's guide and balanced my CC at 37 mm aft from root, have not maidened yet. Have flaps with a 4 second delay and full/half/zero flap settings.
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Old Today, 01:23 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
Yes it is astounding how they make no mention of this in the very inadequate manual.
Not astounding at all. Adjustment shouldn't be necessary. The factory assembly instructions are simply not followed, or inspected. Heck it's such a simple setting it shouldn't -need- inspection. Then again it's such a simple adjustment that mistakes shouldn't happen either, but obviously they do. Remember those little pieces of paper you used to find in a box or a pair of pants that said 'Inspected by #14?' Or even a -stamp- on an electronic device or the manual? That was a generation or two ago. No one cares any more.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Today, 07:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
400 Posts
Maybe the Chinese manufacturer thought, "How will we fasten the metal rod in the strut? Glue takes too long to dry. Let's thread the rod. Don't tell Horizon about it."
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru