HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
From my frame of reference, having a stable regulated power supply at a cost of 3 grams is worth the effort. Also, that portion is completed and all that remains is to connect the LEDs to the regulator. I've seen in flight, in person, the results of the previous creation using the regulators and the lights work fine, not changing intensity regardless of the battery level.

Currently, I need only to know what the proper reference for the socket should be, and/or where to find them.
Look at http://www.rc-connectors.com/ and see if you can find it there.

The way that I wired the lights, they maintain optimum brightness as the battery drains.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
That is the place! They have exactly what I need. Thanks for the link.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old May 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
The attached photo is of the connectors for the wiring that connects the mQx motor to the board. I'm following an earlier post here about adding LEDs to my copter. I've built the voltage regulator and have the lights, but would like to make use of the built-in connectors on the lights, rather than chop and solder.

The lights have the same prongs as on the right side of the picture and I'm hoping to find the "sockets", viewable on the left side of the photo, so I can solder them to the regulator.

I've searched for these tiny items, but really don't know what the "standard terminology" should be.

Can anyone assist, even if only with the right search terms?

By the way, those SMT regulators are a royal bear to work with!
Hi Fred,

The terminology used for the part which solders to the PCB is called a "header". Headers can be either male, with pins exposed, or female, with sockets.

The matching piece which plugs to the header and normally would have wires inserted with crimped terminals is called a "housing". Housings can also be either male (containing a pin inside) or female (having a socket). But in this case, it appears they used a male header plugged into a female header for the motor connections on the mQX board.

Usually they are referred to in specifications by how far apart the pins are, center to center. For example a Molex (very common name in this line of product) MTA100 header would measure exactly 0.100" center to center on its pins, which they call the "pitch". Now comes the hard part. The "MTA" that I mentioned is a particular 'style' for this connector line, just as the "JST" style is used for connecting the lipo on the mQX. Without knowing the style name, or manufacturer, for the headers used on the mQX board, it gets difficult to find ones to match. But if you look long enough online you may find them. Places like Digi-Key or Mouser Electronics, or Allied Electronics would be suppliers that might carry whatever this style is called. But in each case their inventory is enormous, so it can get a little daunting to try to look on their websites for something like this when you don't have all the specifications.

But, persistence prevails. When measuring something this tiny by eye with a digital caliper, they pitch could just as easily be 0.050 (they don't simplify the matter, I found sizes of .047", .049" and .050" ), which I DID find listed on Digi-Key The right angled male headers shown here look just like the connector on the motor wire, soldered on with heat shrink tubing:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...-02-ND/1786465

For the female header into which they would plug, I found one made by Sullins, but no one seems to stock it in the 2 position configuration:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/161...21nffn-rc.html

I can find one in a 3 position configuration though. If there is room on the board, you could use the 3 position header and just not occupy the third socket (cut the mounting pin off). Or you could trim away the third socket carefully with small sized wire cutters and make it into a 2 position header. When there's a will, there's a way!

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/146...31nffn-rc.html
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old May 11, 2012, 10:08 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
Any video of the canopy upgrade from Park Flyer Plastics ...thinking of getting the MQX Interceptor canopy......any one tried this canopy yet ????

would love to see a vid of it....

Mike
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old May 12, 2012, 06:13 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Any video of the canopy upgrade from Park Flyer Plastics ...thinking of getting the MQX Interceptor canopy......any one tried this canopy yet ????

would love to see a vid of it....

Mike
Google it
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old May 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
Capt. Dennis
Sweden, Västerås
Joined Jan 2004
243 Posts
here is a vid of my second try with a keychaincamera on my bird.
awesome thing to fly.

Onboard mQX (3 min 51 sec)
ReasonSwe is online now Find More Posts by ReasonSwe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Old May 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Go Naked , well as I flew with the stock and BAM! body flyes off cam falls off, foam as well. so yep got some naked flight in and even got some Atitude there to. i think i will say Igot the high record of flying but I need Gumby to help out. to confrm the altitude on her?
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 12, 2012, 08:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonSwe View Post
here is a vid of my second try with a keychaincamera on my bird.
awesome thing to fly.

http://youtu.be/-v0OKfAU1eY

if they had stars you deffently got FIVE for the excellence of the flight.

very smooth and well done, was waiting for ya to go thrugh the ramp? I place mine under with a band. still not used to the quad as Iam in the learning Lol.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTLOR9bXqkw
Old May 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvMHgnKiZBc
Old May 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Zoandar, thanks for the link. Now that you've shown me those items, I realize I've seen them somewhere before. I can't recall where, but it's likely to come to mind eventually. I can do with a four or six pin header too, so even the three-hole limitation isn't a problem.

Thanks again

fred
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old May 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
776 Posts
I got my keychain cam today but video are not compatible Ipad they are in avi format need my pc have no idea yet at the quality the mini sd card was in but they put it on top of the slot in the keychain. I love china?
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old May 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
I got my keychain cam today but video are not compatible Ipad they are in avi format need my pc have no idea yet at the quality the mini sd card was in but they put it on top of the slot in the keychain. I love china?
If you gotten the #16 go to the Ariel photo and grab the Fw 27 DL to cam, and follow post three or four simple as pressing hte shutter and On button Let go let the cam do its job and when no led is lit. DELETE off sd card and you will have .MOV good luck.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Here is what I believe will chase away that jello , i demostrate a mod with a floating key cam, using simple household stuff

Rubberband
string

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sXoiHzD4g
Old May 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
If you gotten the #16 go to the Ariel photo and grab the Fw 27 DL to cam, and follow post three or four simple as pressing hte shutter and On button Let go let the cam do its job and when no led is lit. DELETE off sd card and you will have .MOV good luck.
I must be blind I don't see the info send the link
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya