HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Building a relationship with PL6

very nicely done, FMA. Am enjoying the learning. An doing basic stuff is intuitive.

Is it possible to view a fuel table? If so, how?

R
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbuilder View Post
very nicely done, FMA. Am enjoying the learning. An doing basic stuff is intuitive.

Is it possible to view a fuel table? If so, how?

R
Hi:

You're running the CCS, yes? Fuel Tables are in every preset. Just go to the Fuel tab in the CCS for the preset. You have to make sure you check the Advanced Properties check box.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Is it safe using 4mm banana plugs for connecting the PL8 to an 800W power supply?

Thanks.
alexvan is offline Find More Posts by alexvan
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvan View Post
Is it safe using 4mm banana plugs for connecting the PL8 to an 800W power supply?

Thanks.
Well, this is the PL6 thread. But I'll answer anyway. I have not found 4mm banana plugs to be reliable at high current levels. Some work ok, while other experience signfiicant heating. The 4mm plugs that FMA uses on the charger's output are special extra long plugs that give more contact area. But the maximum you'd be pulling though those is 40 amps. The PL8 can pull up to 60 amps and I regularly pull 45 amps charging 6s packs.

Given that, I would highly recommend a connector with higher current carrying capabilities. I used the APP45 connectors on mine, but the most I pull is 45 amps. The EC5s are also a good choice.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
[QUOTE
You're running the CCS, yes? Fuel Tables are in every preset. Just go to the Fuel tab in the CCS for the preset. You have to make sure you check the Advanced Properties check box.
Tim Marks[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tim. Yep, I'm running CCS. I'd been into the Advanced Properties screen but hadn't spotted the scroll buttons to reveal the additional stuff off to the right. Scrolled over, and Voila, there's all kinds of stuff including fuel.

Thanks...............R
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
Two Questions

1. My Presets Library has all empty slots. I'm OK with that, but thought from reading the manual that it would have stuff in it. Is it normally empty?

2. How is the sync process designed to work if I make changes while the PL6 and the CCS are not connected? I've made off-line changes in the CCS and I don't think they're updating in the PL6 when I reconnect. I haven't yet made off-line changes in the PL6 to see if it automatically updates the CCS but will do that soon. I can probably figure it out by trial/error, but I'd rather not have to duplicate work and risk not getting it right.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbuilder View Post
1. My Presets Library has all empty slots. I'm OK with that, but thought from reading the manual that it would have stuff in it. Is it normally empty?

2. How is the sync process designed to work if I make changes while the PL6 and the CCS are not connected? I've made off-line changes in the CCS and I don't think they're updating in the PL6 when I reconnect. I haven't yet made off-line changes in the PL6 to see if it automatically updates the CCS but will do that soon. I can probably figure it out by trial/error, but I'd rather not have to duplicate work and risk not getting it right.
Hi:

1) You need to issue either a factory restore on the charger with missing Library presets, or try the update library button. Both functions are on the firmware tab of the CCS. If you have already customized presets, save them doen one by one to your HD so you can recall them later.

2) Unless you have disabled "save changes to CCS", the PL will always update the CCS with the contents at the PL itself every time it is connected to the CCS and after communications is established. You'll see "Loading Presets", "Loading Options" at the top of the CCS window.

Tim Marks
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
That helps. Thanks, Tim
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
Was going to get a 10XP to go with my 10S since I need a second charger. But have been reading the threads here about the PL6 and 8. I am now leaning toward a PL6 and parallel charging. But I have a few questions first.
The largest batteries I use now are 4S 4000mAh HK Nanotechs and charge them on my 10S connected to the Revlectrix 13.8V, 28A Power Supply. Went though the PL6 power calculator and it says my max current will be about 17A.

1. Can I charge 2 to 4 of the 4S batteries in parallel with the PL6 and my current P/S?

2. Since the P/S has banana plugs and the PL6 uses EC5 would a pair of the Cellpro 10s cables with EC5s soldered on them work or do I need something heavier?

Just trying to be ready for future expansion but will probably never use anything bigger than 5S or 6S batteries.

Thanks.
dusty14 is offline Find More Posts by dusty14
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:57 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
1. Can I charge 2 to 4 of the 4S batteries in parallel with the PL6 and my current P/S?
Yes, you can. You would want to set the power supply limiting on the PL6 to match the output on your supply. The online calculators are good. But they are using 85% efficiency. I've found real world results for 3s and 6s to be closer to 90%-92%. That would raise the total output to 21 amps on 4s, or 10.5 amps per pack. That comes out to 2.6c per pack which is not too bad.

But you can get a little better results if you increase the charger's charge rate to 23 or 24 amps and let it hit the current limiting. That way your supply will be max out from start to finish, instead just at the end of the charge.

2. Since the P/S has banana plugs and the PL6 uses EC5 would a pair of the Cellpro 10s cables with EC5s soldered on them work or do I need something heavier?

I would use something heavier. It would probably work, but you would notice some heating in the wires. The stock input wires on my Cellpro10s had a fair amount of heating at 25amp so I replaced them with 12 awg Dean's wet noddle. Its better, but they still a little warm. 10 awg would be better and some might say that is overkill. But the adapter cables will run cooler. ProgressiveRc is a good place to get parts to make your own adapter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty14 View Post
Was going to get a 10XP to go with my 10S since I need a second charger. But have been reading the threads here about the PL6 and 8. I am now leaning toward a PL6 and parallel charging. But I have a few questions first.
The largest batteries I use now are 4S 4000mAh HK Nanotechs and charge them on my 10S connected to the Revlectrix 13.8V, 28A Power Supply. Went though the PL6 power calculator and it says my max current will be about 17A.

1. Can I charge 2 to 4 of the 4S batteries in parallel with the PL6 and my current P/S? You can power the PL6 with any PSU you may have down to 10v, 1A output. If you review the user guide on page 9, it tells you how to set Smart Power Management options so the PL6 will never draw more current from the PSU than you specify. This way, you don't have to worry about where you set the output current. PL6 will do the maximum it can using the PSU specs you provide. I would also recommend you consider a PL6/MPA combo as long as you know your batteries use the XH balance connector. I'm pretty sure they do.

Get the manual from the Resources tab here, first document:

http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_links_tab.htm

Here's a link to the PL6/MPA combo:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...MPA-XH_Combo_2

Here's a link to details about the MPA:

http://www.revolectrix.com/MPA_XH.htm

2. Since the P/S has banana plugs and the PL6 uses EC5 would a pair of the Cellpro 10s cables with EC5s soldered on them work or do I need something heavier? The best banana plugs are generally limited to 40A max current. This is the max current the PL6 can draw at its input. So, while there are better solutions out there, this would likely be fine for your situation; particlarly if you continue to use the Revolectrix PSU which is capable of 28A max. Also, when you set Input Current limit, choose maybe 23-25A max for that PSU. It's max rating is 28A, but I don't recommend you run it at 28A all day long.

Just trying to be ready for future expansion but will probably never use anything bigger than 5S or 6S batteries. I think you will be very happy with the PL6 for a long time.

Thanks.
Hi:

Comments above in red.

Tim Marks
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
Thanks Gregor99 and Tim.

I usually don't do anything over 1C with my 10s so the P/S leads don't get hot. But with the PL6 I might want 2C so I will use 10 gauge EC5 to bananas for now. I was looking at the MPA but the batteries I want to use on it have Polyquest/Thunder Power balance leads and the HXT 4mm connectors. So to use an MPA would be a lot of extra work at the moment. I was looking at using at least two CP8S-TPPQ6S-PAR adapters instead. Unless I'm missing something on the MPA side and I could plug TP/PQ into it without a lot of extra work because I really like the MPA idea.

One more question. Instead of the stackable banana to HXT 4mm would it work to use a single banana to multiple HXT cable? Similar to this:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...rge-cable.html

Thanks again.

I do have plenty of adapters for the 4S and 10S Cellpros but don't think they would work from the MPA to the battery. I am trying to think of a way to use one with out a lot of work but it escapes me with just the deans and balance ports on it now.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
I was looking at the MPA but the batteries I want to use on it have Polyquest/Thunder Power balance leads and the HXT 4mm connectors.

Understood. But I think in the long run you'd be paying less and have a better product. The CP8S-TPPQ6S-PAR can only charge one battery a time. An additional one is required for each additional battery.

One thing that can be a challenge with any parallel charging board is batteries with short balance wires. Some have taken to adding little extensions to the conenctors on the parallel boards to help. Whether is a JST-XH to JST-XH extension or a JST to TP adapter does not matter. The adapters are inexpensive from HobbyKing.

Unless I'm missing something on the MPA side and I could plug TP/PQ into it without a lot of extra work because I really like the MPA idea.

The connectors on the MPA are JST-XH. You'd need an adapter.

One more question. Instead of the stackable banana to HXT 4mm would it work to use a single banana to multiple HXT cable? Similar to this:

Yes, that would work. But its not fused. That is one of the big advantages of the MPA, each battery is fused seperately. To save yourself some work, you could buy that parallel cable. Then cut wire near where they come together, leaving you with 6 HXT pigtails. Finally solder on Deans to the pigtails and you are good to go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
Sorry to be a pain but this is the confusing part about the MPA, which if I had one in front of me would probably be obvious, although maybe not. I have always used Cellpro charges 2 old 4S and a 10S so I'm only familiar with the various adapters for them.

If I understand this correctly the JST-XH balance connectors on the MPA will mate with nothing I have without adapters, correct? So I would need to find adapters to go from the MPA to my different battery balance connectors. That is why originally I was leaning toward just getting the 10XP. Plug 'n play.

I understand I can use this
http://www.progressiverc.com/hxt-4mm...le-t-plug.html
for the discharge leads to the MPA but not exactly what is needed to go to the balance leads. That is why I was going with two or three CP8S-TPPQ6S-PAR.

If you have an example of what I can use from the balance lead on this battery to the MPA I might understand this better. It has a 5 wire PolyQuest balance lead.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

Thanks again.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,547 Posts
Quote:
If you have an example of what I can use from the balance lead on this battery to the MPA I might understand this better. It has a 5 wire PolyQuest balance lead.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
That battery is a 4S and has JST-XH balancing connector on it which plugs into the 4S balancing connections on the MPA.

You are correct that if you have batteries with other than JST-XH balancing connectors you will need adapters to go from JST-XH to whatever you have be it Hyperion, Thunder Power etc.

You would use male JSt-XH to Thunder Powe ,Kokam .etc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nce_Leads.html

Also with Hyperion / Pol.y Quest there is the issue of wiring with some as the skip some spaces on some cell counts.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 03, 2012 at 06:02 PM.