Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
324 Posts
Has your Skybuggy been airborne yet? This is going to be my first SA build with the Skyboy 600 being number 2. It looks like a fun plane.

Phil
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:11 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil007 View Post
Has your Skybuggy been airborne yet? This is going to be my first SA build with the Skyboy 600 being number 2. It looks like a fun plane.
Phil
Unfortunately not...... my wife has been really sick which is why I have been building and staying close to home....
Then just when you get the chance..... it's either raining or too windy. I know it will fly just as advertised!
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:41 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Close but no maiden....

I've been able to get out afew nights to start to maiden my projects. Tonight the SKYBUGGY100 was one of them however; I had a few 1s and all of them would cut out after launching. They powered up fine so, thought it was a weak uncharged so, I put in another..... hand launched, starts to climb and cuts out it like 30 seconds.....

There were 2 new FlightMax 138mAh and verified a good charge when I got home and they seem worthless. 2 other new generic 145mAh I had.... same thing.

E-flight 150mAh .5Wh 12c "which I didn't have with me" works great on the bench no cut out. So, I ordered some new ones and will poke holes in these and store in salt water

My Parkzone Mosquito Mk VI is a gas as well as my PLUMA foamy. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll try again with the good lipo and will maden the Swift100 too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:45 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Success.....

OK, the E-flight 150mAh .5Wh 12c worked great so, I got a feel for the little SKYBUGGY. Short Maiden to get a feel for the throttle and a little trimming...... really liked the flight control. Can't say the same for those nesting birds I stirred up! Got another flight in off that battery, but I have some new batteries coming this week.

SkyBuggy100 1 (2 min 2 sec)
It's a keeper.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Jun 09, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:28 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
I clicked on your private thread from the Quark forum and noticed you built the Skybuggy 100. I bought the kit at the last WRAM show in Secaucus NJ last February? It's built except for covering it with AeroLite. I have not covered a balsa airplane in many years. Silkspan was the covering of choice back then. Monokote was just coming of age. I'm putting off covering the Skybuggy for fear of ruining the framework. Any suggstions for a novice when using Aerolite? You did a super job and I envy it. I looked at your photos and noticed you painted the motor compartment, could you tell me what type of paint you used? acrylic or something else. What adhesive did you use to secure the motor? , something the instructions do not mention although they are very thorough. The laser cut parts make assembly a snap although I did brace the fuselage sides near the window openings because the balsa used for the sides is rather thin after sanding.

Looking forward to any helpful comments you have.

Sam
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:05 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
--cut-- It's built except for covering it with AeroLite. I have not covered a balsa airplane in many years. --cut-- I'm putting off covering the Skybuggy for fear of ruining the framework. Any suggstions for a novice when using Aerolite? You did a super job and I envy it. I looked at your photos and noticed you painted the motor compartment, could you tell me what type of paint you used? acrylic or something else. What adhesive did you use to secure the motor? , something the instructions do not mention although they are very thorough. The laser cut parts make assembly a snap although I did brace the fuselage sides near the window openings because the balsa used for the sides is rather thin after sanding. Looking forward to any helpful comments you have. Sam
Not to worry and thanks for the complement regarding my covering. Been doing it a long time, but somewhat a perfectionist and it take me a while to decide "how" I want to cover the project. Anyway,I do prefer SA Aerolite covering for my micro planes and Hanger9 Ultracote for most all other covering projects. Both don't need really hot heat to tack and apply besides being very flexible and shrinks perfectly. I will mention that if you want to trim the model and for best results definitely use the AeroFilm which is "self adhesive" film ideal for decorating a film covered model. You'll need an iron and heat gun, just make sure you use an iron sock and its clean. As for the engine compartment I usually use Testors enamel and/or acrylic, but what works very well on balsa ......... Sharpie markers. In fact I think I did that with the SkyBuggy 100, 300 and the eHopper. Believe I used CA medium and thick on the motor.

Just use some balsa scrape to get a feel for the covering full plank surface and open parts that require tacking and shrinking. Do you have a build thread for the SkyBuggy? It's cool when Bill Stevens pops in and posts on the thread..... also post the Buggy on the original Stevens Aero appreciation thread
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:24 AM
AMA 988154
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
I have the SA illustrated build which I downloaded from their site. Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself I take pride in my workmanship. As you know from the Quark forum I also fly helis. My other hobbies are rc scale boats and O scale railroading. I purchased a heat gun, iron and detail iron from Tower, now all I need is the push to proceed.
I'll take some photos of my SkyBuggy 100 in its naked state and try to post them.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
I have the SA illustrated build which I downloaded from their site. Being somewhat of a perfectionist myself I take pride in my workmanship. As you know from the Quark forum I also fly helis. My other hobbies are rc scale boats and O scale railroading. I purchased a heat gun, iron and detail iron from Tower, now all I need is the push to proceed.
I'll take some photos of my SkyBuggy 100 in its naked state and try to post them.
Start to cover some scrape balsa and you'll get a good feel for the temp, pressure and the shrinking. Also; the best way to split the film and backing is to use two pieces of tape on one corner and they should pill apart easily. Sometime :not: so easy.... I often use blue or green painters tape, but when the film is tough, I'll use scotch tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:30 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,554 Posts
This is a neat project. Couple of gotcha's I had to work around though. Even though I jammed all the radio equipment and battery as far forward as I could I still had to glue a couple of lead fishing weights under the motor to get it to balance. Short nose long tail made it tail heavy from the start. I also added a piece of 1/32" balsa as a filler between the 2 center ribs. I adds some support so the rubber bands don't tear up the covering.

For covering I used Coverite micro-lite, mainly because my local shop had it in stock. I couldn't tell any difference between the Coverite and Aerolite. I build and cover a lot and feel that these micro coverings apply and shrink very well. On thing to watch out for is when you peel the plastic backing away be very careful not to let static fold the covering over onto itself. It can stick to itself and become a lesson in frustration to get apart. Sometimes when this happens the piece becomes unusable.

Read the instructions and follow the recommendations for the temperature to set your iron. I didn't use a heat gun only a trim iron and a regular covering iron.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
AMA 988154
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Skybuggy 100 Naked

Hear is my first attempt to build a balsa plane in many, many years.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,554 Posts
Looks good to me. Take your time on the covering. This was the first model I covered with the light weight covering so I started with the tail feathers. You can pull it off and try again if you have any problems.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:08 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000 View Post
This is a neat project. Couple of gotcha's I had to work around though. Even though I jammed all the radio equipment and battery as far forward as I could I still had to glue a couple of lead fishing weights under the motor to get it to balance. Short nose long tail made it tail heavy from the start. I also added a piece of 1/32" balsa as a filler between the 2 center ribs. I adds some support so the rubber bands don't tear up the covering. For covering I used Coverite micro-lite, mainly because my local shop had it in stock. I couldn't tell any difference between the Coverite and Aerolite. I build and cover a lot and feel that these micro coverings apply and shrink very well. On thing to watch out for is when you peel the plastic backing away be very careful not to let static fold the covering over onto itself. It can stick to itself and become a lesson in frustration to get apart. Sometimes when this happens the piece becomes unusable.
Read the instructions and follow the recommendations for the temperature to set your iron. I didn't use a heat gun only a trim iron and a regular covering iron.
Looks great and nice trimming, do you trim with the Coverite as well or adhesive trim? And good point regarding the iron to shrink the lite weight covering......... yes take your time......
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Jul 19, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: anal retentive correction.....
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Looks great and nice trimming, do you trim with the Coverite as well or adhesive trim? And good point regarding the iron to shrink the lite weight covering......... yes take your time......
It's all Coverite. I covered the whole wing in yellow then tried to apply the black. It just wouldn't conform to the peaks and valley's around the ribs. I would up laying out the yellow on a piece of glass with Windex. Then I applied the black scallops over the yellow also using windex. When everything dried I used low heat to iron the black over the yellow. The I applied both pieces to the wing at the same time. They both seemed to shrink at the same rate. I used the plans to create cut guides for the black. I didn't it work and was surprised when the two layers went on so well.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:27 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
I almost bought one of these but I'm not a fan of the AR 6400 board after one crapped out on my Swift 100. I was thinking about building one with regular servos and RX but would be afraid it would be to heavy???
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:08 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
I almost bought one of these but I'm not a fan of the AR 6400 board after one crapped out on my Swift 100. I was thinking about building one with regular servos and RX but would be afraid it would be to heavy???
Sorry about the Swift...... You could always upgrade and get the 300......
RCG Plus Member