HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:54 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1,853 Posts
I'm with you there....grey is such a bitch to see at the best of times....especially on a grey day...lol...
HellHathNoFury is offline Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 01:59 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
The darn thing would burn the hell up at that amp draw. That type of advertisement just screams "bull", and is taking advantage of hobbyists that didn't know any better. It's a shame to see companies do that.

Then again, it's a business and they seem like they are in it to make the greatest profitability, and not to improve RC and provide honest products while making a living at the same time.
I was a MaxAmps backer when I first got into electric but they shifted their focus to the car market and totally forgot about us airplane/heli pilots that supported them in their infancy. Competitive car guys will pay anything for a 0.01 second faster lap time (or something that will promise them that 0.01 second faster lap time), MaxAmps realized this, and raised their prices accordingly. They have been asked repeatedly to provide real-world proof of their "true 120C" batteries and have yet to do so.

For example, my F/A-18E pulls 65A at WOT with a 6s 5000 mAh 25C battery. 25C on a 5000 mAh battery is 125A. If I pull 65A at WOT, that's about 12.5C. And that's at full throttle during high-speed passes. If the rest of my flight is at 70% throttle, let's say that's 40A. That's about 8C. A far cry from the battery's max capabilities and why they come down only barely warm.

So like someone else said, 120C on a 5000 mAh battery is 600 amps which is just crazy. That's MaxAmps for you.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:23 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Anyone try this on 5s yet?
cnchelicopter is online now Find More Posts by cnchelicopter
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:57 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
After much thought, I think it is more important for me to see what this jet is doing in the air vs scale appearance. The older I get, the harder it is to get good contrast.
I went with yellow and blue stripes. My 3D planes have the stripes, so that should help out alot. The only thing left to do is add 1 coat of minwax tomorrow.
Cabledawg1 , I agree totally.. especially the getting older part!

I was able to pick up an older NIB kit ( designed as a pusher) which needs some serious work to make it look the " C " variant. Nice to work with a clean slate.. no paint at all-just white foam.----

I chose this scheme as this should be easy to see for my older eyes.

It's a bit bigger than the FW , at L=65", WS= 47" JF90/Het 1200Kv on 12s
HK had some nice HD retracts F-18 style I picked up--good to 15lb.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Oleo_Legs.html

Also got a canopy and wing spar sets from Y/A-- this is only a couple inches shorter than there single --the canopy it comes withis terrible.

With all the mods, it more like a scratch build. A total kit bashing.
Can't wait to start on it.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 20, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I was a MaxAmps backer when I first got into electric but they shifted their focus to the car market and totally forgot about us airplane/heli pilots that supported them in their infancy. Competitive car guys will pay anything for a 0.01 second faster lap time (or something that will promise them that 0.01 second faster lap time), MaxAmps realized this, and raised their prices accordingly. They have been asked repeatedly to provide real-world proof of their "true 120C" batteries and have yet to do so.

For example, my F/A-18E pulls 65A at WOT with a 6s 5000 mAh 25C battery. 25C on a 5000 mAh battery is 125A. If I pull 65A at WOT, that's about 12.5C. And that's at full throttle during high-speed passes. If the rest of my flight is at 70% throttle, let's say that's 40A. That's about 8C. A far cry from the battery's max capabilities and why they come down only barely warm.

So like someone else said, 120C on a 5000 mAh battery is 600 amps which is just crazy. That's MaxAmps for you.
Agreed. They make claims that are bananas. It's a shame that they don't seem like they partake much in proper business ethics.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Cabledawg1 , I agree totally.. especially the getting older part!

I was able to pick up an older NIB kit ( designed as a pusher) which needs some serious work to make it look the " C " variant. Nice to work with a clean slate.. no paint at all-just white foam.----

I chose this scheme as this should be easy to see for my older eyes.

It's a bit bigger than the FW , at L=65", WS= 47" JF90/Het 1200Kv on 12s
HK had some nice HD retracts F-18 style I picked up--good to 15lb.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Oleo_Legs.html

With all the mods, it more like a scratch build. A total kit bashing.
Can't wait to start on it.
Good choice and good luck on it! I'm sure it will turn out amazing. The F18 in general is just such an amazing looking jet. I love the design.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:53 AM
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
9 Posts
minwax?

Quote:
After much thought, I think it is more important for me to see what this jet is doing in the air vs scale appearance. The older I get, the harder it is to get good contrast.
I went with yellow and blue stripes. My 3D planes have the stripes, so that should help out alot. The only thing left to do is add 1 coat of minwax tomorrow.
I've seen minwax mentioned on several threads. What does it do for the finish? Are you using gloss or semi-gloss, sprayed or brushed?
Thanks
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:24 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,011 Posts
Laserdude, Do a search for WBPU (wated based polyurethane) in the edf scratch build forum.. Lots of guys have used it.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:53 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,483 Posts

One coat protects the paint...it does make it shinier than without it...but its not really glossy.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:37 PM
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Laserdude, Do a search for WBPU (wated based polyurethane) in the edf scratch build forum.. Lots of guys have used it.
Thanks
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:41 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Quote:

One coat protects the paint...it does make it shinier than without it...but its not really glossy.
I like to use the aerosol can since I don't have a hobby air brush.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-11...3060/100376200
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:46 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
I like to use the aerosol can since I don't have a hobby air brush.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-11...3060/100376200
And water base version
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-11...3000/100376151
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Scale Jet Driver
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jul 2012
626 Posts
Anyone who has bungee launched this have a recommended tow hook location?
Rangerfan is offline Find More Posts by Rangerfan
Old Today, 11:36 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,180 Posts
BM3 and I had a jet day........

tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Today, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,621 Posts
Hell yeah! I want to come over, LOL. Too bad I live far away.