HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Discussion
Flight with the Key Chain Spy Cam

As captured by a Walkera 4#3B high above ground with the key chain camera;

I guess some of you already have this camera and used it on your micro helis for recording video flight. I got mine a couple of days ago and decided to mount it on a 4#3B with attempts on making it lightweight. This camera has a higher frame rate (30fps) and resolution (720x480) as compared to the pen cam i initially got;

Obviously first one to go would be the casing and its lipo battery;

EQMOD is offline Find More Posts by EQMOD
Last edited by EQMOD; Dec 12, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
after removing the unecessary parts and adding the power connector, here is its total weight;

but wait, that USB connector seems to be un-needed as the micro sd card is removable and can be connected to a PC by just using a card reader. This means we can also do away with this metallic connector;

With the dremel kit, i decided to trim it out so that desoldering it from the board would be easy;

Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
here is her new weight;

and as mounted on the 4#3B;

Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
and here is a few test spin;

indoor - nice frame rate as compared to the pen cam;

* Pardon the shaky flight, it is pretty much windy when i did this test.

Walkera 4#3B Onboard Video flight using Keychain 30FPS Spy Camera - indoor (2 min 14 sec)

Outdoor 1 - (sorry for the dangling wire);

* check out the contrast, camera automatically adjusts and you can see the clouds as it blends with the blue sky

Walkera 4#3B Onboard Video flight using Keychain 30FPS Spy Camera (3 min 40 sec)

Outdoor 2 -

Walkera 4#3B Onboard Video flight using Keychain 30FPS Spy Camera - Outdoor 1 (3 min 15 sec)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
And my favorite - low light flight. One thing i like with this camera, it automatically adjusts the sensor sensitivity and still retains the frame rate of 29 to 30 fps;

Walkera 4#3B Onboard Video flight using Keychain 30FPS Spy Camera - Low light (3 min 23 sec)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:23 PM
germany
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Thanks for these informations and pics! This is exactly the camera that should be in my post any day now! I´m going to strap it under my CB100 though as it´s a bit more stable than the 4#3B.
Juergen
elanbaby is offline Find More Posts by elanbaby
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
yes, it is a little shaky when simply hovering as small changes on hovering angle translates to large movements on the video frame. However if you do forward flights, frame shake should be significantly less.

Here is another single frame capture from the camera with the heli high above ground;

Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
punching it higher above ground;

Key Chain Spy Camera - Horizon 1 (2 min 20 sec)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:16 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Very cool

I am ordering 2, one for use on my 450 sized helis, I figure I can leave it in it's hard case and make a mount to mount it on a canopy or a frame mount.

the other I will try to use in a hat cam....

thanks for sharing your work, very cool
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:57 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
order in, now I need 2 8gb micro SDs.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
453 Posts
Very nice Mon,

Since you do not need to fly by viewing through the video image would a gimbal arrangement help with steadying the video? If built correctly the gimbal would self level the video making your footage less roller coaster ish. Maybe the gimbal could hold the cam and the Lipo, using the Lipo's weight as the under slung balance? Just an idea.

I may have to give this a go - once again i'm inspired by your work.

Flash
CQE Flash is offline Find More Posts by CQE Flash
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hang on, turbulence ahead
St. Louis
Joined Dec 2007
534 Posts
Very nice. It is always useful to see a step-by-step account of the breakdown process. Thanks!

And it is good to see that they seem to be making the cameras with imagers that allow the camera to be mounted flat. Based on what I have read, some of the early ones had to be held sideways, which is a pain for mounting them on a helicopter.
Heli Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Heli Hacker
Last edited by Heli Hacker; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
yup. That is one of my critical issue with the pen cam type, i had to 'stretch' out a little the ribbon connector on to the camera module to reposition the camera.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQE Flash View Post
Very nice Mon,

Since you do not need to fly by viewing through the video image would a gimbal arrangement help with steadying the video? If built correctly the gimbal would self level the video making your footage less roller coaster ish. Maybe the gimbal could hold the cam and the Lipo, using the Lipo's weight as the under slung balance? Just an idea.

I may have to give this a go - once again i'm inspired by your work.

Flash

Hmm. That gimbal idea is awesome. Would it be possible to use a mechanical gyro to stabilize the gimbal platfrom ? A possible option would be a rotating disc mounted on the main gear.. Just thinking out wild here.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Very cool

I am ordering 2, one for use on my 450 sized helis, I figure I can leave it in it's hard case and make a mount to mount it on a canopy or a frame mount.

the other I will try to use in a hat cam....

thanks for sharing your work, very cool
Hat Cam ... hmmm, good idea. That is where my spare cam will go