HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
300 Posts
Help!
Hex head screws aggravation complication

I've never built an aircraft, now I am.

I recently purchased an RTF hexacopter from from a DJI dealer, I managed to crash it within 5 minutes of calibration and take- off. That should not have happened all things considered like wind, balance and proper building care. I should have been in the air and enjoying the aircraft.

When it crashed, one of the arms broke at the tip, the tip is a motor mount, the motor is secured with 4 each 2mm hex head screws. I have a 2 mm hex head wrench. Three of the screws came out OK, the final screw would not budge.

Here is the rub, on all of these 2 mm hex head screws, there is play between the wrench and hex head screw. What that means is that the hex head screw gets stripped when I apply extra effort to get it out. Finally after many moans, and curses, I had to carefully drill out the screw. BTW I tried a 2.5 MM wrench it was too large to fit.

Bottom line the person that put this aircraft together had injected excessive thread lock into the plastic hole that feeds the screw into its brass seat on the strut, instead of a dab on the screw theads. And the excess play in the hex head allowed me to strip the hex in the head with my extra pressure on the wrench.

Not too mention other sloppy issues and examples of poor workmanship that combined to cause the crash. From now on, I will build it myself. I will overcome all complications and find resolutions by asking for help. My new found creed, I will never crash again.LMAO.

Now I am disassembling the whole aircraft and rebuilding it from the beginning, but there are many more stuck hex head screws.

Here is the burning issue, the question. Does anyone know where I might purchase quality hex head screws that have top shelf quality control? There is just too much play in the heads, if you need to use excess pressure to remove them for repairs. Cheap from abroad can get expensive quickly.
Indianalar is offline Find More Posts by Indianalar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:41 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
RTL Fasteners
http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/r1.html
MicroFasteners
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/METSCM.cfm
JR Hobby hardware
http://www.jrhobbyhardware.com/shop/...&cPath=118_121
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:55 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,352 Posts
Also you need to invest in the best quality wrenches,the cheap brands aren't up to the job.Maybe someone over there can advise you on a good brand-snapon used to make good stuff?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Tip: If you have a stripped screw (hex/Phillips, etc) dip the tip of the screw driver/wrench in some valve grinding compound that has diamond dust. I mechanic buddy told me about this one YEARS ago. I have yet to have it not work.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Oct 2012
300 Posts
Thank you all very much 3 great ideas, I've been looking for a good set of T handle hex wrenches. Here is a funny response, the manager at an AUTO ZONE never knew there was such a thing as T handled hex wrenches, actually all that we find is mostly folding handle sets, theyare OK but a pain to use for building. I did find a nice set of T handles at Menards. Same thing there is too much play in the manufactured hex screws. Poor quality control.

If the chinese continue with this attitude maybe American Mfg will return home. I will surely try the diamond dust valve grinding compound, my opinion, the dealer that built the aircraft is after a quick buck and little interest for doing things right.

Build it yourself and get what you deserve, do it right the first time and enjoy your efforts and educations. You will have complications but you will have priceless knowledge in your head set.

thanks again
Indianalar is offline Find More Posts by Indianalar
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,160 Posts
If the screw is on a firm surface you can use a punch and a hammer to flatten the hex part of the screw a bit. You may have to drive the hex driver in the screw but in a real pinch it works. Also, the act of hitting the screw will sometimes also loosen it a bit. I've done this on the screws on motorcycle carbs and it works 99% of the time.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:01 PM
No retreat no surrender
USA, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 1999
659 Posts
T-handle hex wrenches=Allen wrenches?
Excellent quality=Bondhus
Available from www.northerntool.com in both fractional and metric versions.
newguy is offline Find More Posts by newguy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:14 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,352 Posts
http://www.semblex.com/files/Torx-Semblex.pdf
No more rounded hex keys!I was starting to replace hex.heads in critical applications just before I gave up work.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:31 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,153 Posts
When that screw just won't seem to budge, take your soldering gun and heat it a bit. If near plastic, you need to be careful to not melt the plastic though. It is surprising how often a little heat will free up that screw.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney