HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
I'll have some video of this one flying later. A guy in the club built this prototype and really enjoyed it! Another guy joining the autogyro club!
Joe
Your buddy did a great job flying! Must have been all the professional coaching. Kudos for a great flying machine!

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
The 1st Sofaman
United States, NJ, Hawthorne
Joined Mar 2012
495 Posts
Don,
What a great job on your build. Red on the bottom and inside the stabs is brilliant. So.....you are flying off of land and water???? OMG! I was grinning ear to ear! On the water....it was so nice....I just could not believe it. So happy for you!

Much thanks to Joe Cole for his hard work and dedication. The support he has given to everyone is fantastic. All the things he does behind the scenes that no one knows about.....is bared none. He is the best!

Congrats Don!!!! I will be showing off these videos tomorrow.

Dave
Sofaman NJ is offline Find More Posts by Sofaman NJ
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,219 Posts
Geee I wish mine would show up in the mail box , maybe the RABBIT got lost !!

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I wish it would too Bill! I shipped it September 20th with tracking! I bet your postman is building it as we speak!
Joe
jodini is online now Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:34 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Thanks Dave. The Kellett was a joy to build. It flew perfect right off the building board. The new delta head works great. I'm going to try a different prop on the motor I used because the power was marginal. If that doesn't improve performance, I'll go to a larger motor. The floats were the same ones I made for the Scout. The mounts worked perfectly on the Kellett. There is no water rudder but in calm wind, it steered quite nicely.

The only major change I made was to the tailwheel mount. I prefer to have the steering wire parallel to the rudder hinge line. Other than adding a couple notches in the fuse side to allow Velcro straps to be inserted and a 1/2" hole to allow the servo wires to pass through to the RX mounted underneath, no other mods were made.

All the major parts of the fuse were covered prior to assembly for ease of covering. The wire bending for the UC can be a little daunting and I did manage to make an error. But it actually worked out better for me in the long run, and one less solder joint per side.

The Kellett is very stable and predictable in flight, no doubt due to the profile fuse sides. The elevon controls were easy to set up and gives a very stout control feel. ROG takeoffs start with full up elevator until just before full spinup, then zero elevator and add power. I was prepared to add some right aileron as it lifted off but found that barely any, if at all, was needed. Even on floats, the only corrections needed were to compensate for wind direction as it got light.

I had a blast flying the Kellett off water and put at least two flights on it each day while the wind was calm. Getting it back to shore once the wind picked up was a big challenge and I had to nearly fly it back to me.

Bill, the Kellett is worth the wait. I just hope it isn't lost!

DC
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,785 Posts
G.Day Don
I was thinking that the motor and servos required would be very similar to those of the Scout.............
Chris..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
495 Posts
I will be building mine soon.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,785 Posts
Me to....................
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
G.Day Don
I was thinking that the motor and servos required would be very similar to those of the Scout.............
Chris..........
I actually took the power gear off my Scout to get it in the air. While it does fly it pretty well, it's not near as peppy as the Scout. The Kellett is a little heavier and has considerably more drag. I used higher torque servos for the head per Joe's recommendation. You could probably use smaller servos but I liked how positive the controls felt, especially with the added weight of the floats.

DC
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:57 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Joined Mar 2012
495 Posts
Hey Chris!!! G'day mate! So glad seeing you will build the Profile!!!!

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,785 Posts
G'Day Dave .............Thanks Don.......
I have a C-30 profile as well as a Scout and they both fly pretty good.......the funny thing is that most people donn't pick that they are profiles untill they get up close after I have been flying........
Happy Landings
Chris
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Just shipped out 4 more Kellett kits. Let me know when you guys get them.

Bill,
Your tracking number 03121430000137203639 for USPS says it was delivered on Saturday Sept. 29th. You better find that rabbit!
Joe
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,504 Posts
What motor size, esc size, servo size, etc. are recommened for this bird?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Hey Sammy,
25 size electric motor
3 cell lipo (2100 mah)
two high torque servos (about 60 oz and up)
Regular servo for tail (you have the option to go standard servo or mini)
If you PM me your email address and I can send you the manual and you can look it over.
Joe
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,219 Posts
It finly arrived !

Well it arrived on Oct 4th, It must have been in the back of the postman's truck for days, That pesky rabbit must have been hiding it.
As you know I am in the middle of the Sig conversion and that is oh so close to flying. I have opened the Kellett up and taken a look see at the instructions looks like a quick and straight forward build. May get started right a way. A few picture to show future builders how very complete this kit is.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member