6,838 Posts
i found some decent servos for flaps
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...s-25kg-p-sd200
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Why dont you build a little one, with 6 30mm or something micro fans! That would be very cool. With all the new small stuff these days, there are so many small planes you can make that would be awesome fun. Hone your skills with smaller stuff. for that $350 you can get all sorts of stuff to complete a beautiful smaller model

You're going to need at least $1k in raw materials and glue alone for a monster like that. Straighten up Keenan!! Wait till later on to make monsters.

I know first hand what a gigantic PITA a model like you propose would be. Carrying it, transporting it, storing it, feeding it. Lets leave the building part out. Giant models are good for museums.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Last edited by SilentHunter; Feb 25, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
yeah
BTW it 350 Pounds! for each model and that excludes shipping charges from HK for some f the parts (wheels fans E.g)
for god sake its one of the biggest planes in the world (other than the spruce goose and A380) yo gotta do it justce and build big!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,986 Posts
Hate to be rude but come on, do you really think this will work? I wouldn't go through the trouble and dough before seriously planning this out first...
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Hate to be rude but come on, do you really think this will work? I woulden't go through the trouble and dough before seriously planning this out first...
none taken but me nor my freinds are gonna give up on this ! till its flying
Last edited by Keenan smith; Feb 25, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
Hi Keenan. You may have to give some thought to the CG on the Ant. If she is tailheavy and you have the batteries in the wing you will have no choice but to add weight in the nose just to keep those batteries in the wing or move them instead of carrying exta weight. Just a thought to calculate. Good luck.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
i meant in the wingbox
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if I were gonna do retracts, they would be home made and servo driven. can't get any cheaper than that.

forget 4S 2200 packs. your flight time will suck and you won't produce enough thrust out of a 90mm fan. I would go 5S 4000mAh packs. more than enough thrust and because of the extra voltage, your amp draw will be lower and therefore, less taxing on the system.

I'm not so sure I agree with Choch that it won't work. I've seen 90mm B-52's that work just fine. what I am suspect of, is building a plane of this size out of Depron. if it were me, I would build the fuselage out of Depron, with balsa, hard wood, or just about any strengthening material to use as a composite sandwich. the wings should not be Depron at all, or if so, used sparingly, or designed in such a way, that the structure can handle it. it's not the materials used that's the problem, it's the structure that holds the strength. the key is to design the structure properly and use a combination of materials to full advantage.

I won't say this won't work, but I am suspect about the design of something this large and making it work.

as Choch says, you are looking at 240 ish bucks in fans, then motors, then ESC's, materials, etc, etc. even with cheap stuff, we're talking about a 1000 dollar investment and that's not counting any labour costs involved. I hope you guys can pull this off, but the odds are deffinitely against you here?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Last edited by LuvEvolution7; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
as far as servos K.............on a plane this size, forget the small stuff. you've got to use full size servos. you have no idea how much aero load is being put on surfaces that big. not only full size servos, but I would highly recommend digital and metal gear. anything less just isn't good enough IMHO. sure, you aren't gonna be flying like a fighter, but the weight against flying surfaces that size is far more than you've taken into account. buy servos accordingly. the elevator should be your strongest servo and deffinitely metal gear. the rudder and ailerons don't have to be as powerful, but why skimp out on a plane like this. your budgets are gonna be far greater than you realize.

if this were me, I'de be forgetting foam altogether and going for a FG fuse with foam core wings. or built up balsa wings with strengthening materials in key locations. IMHO, this is too big for foam and putting too many demands on a foam structure. you're free to do what you like of course, but you've got to put more effort into the design phase, cause right now, you're going in the wrong direction I fear.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:02 AM
Making a Dynam Razorback Snafu
Joined Apr 2006
4,496 Posts
Suscribed!

Very nice project.

Take a look to the Airbus 380 in Hobbyking,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10443

despite being >1.5m ws

and 4 EDFs, it still can manage to fly with one 3 cell battery. I saw it fly and is enough power.

So choosing the right power setup will be veru crucial here.

Regards.

Vic
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:42 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
Tartago,

With regards to the Airbus, my friend just bought it and the three cell if for sure not enough. We switched over to a 4 cell 3300 and made a difference but still have to fly it well over half throttle in level flight. Way under powered.

My two cents....
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:38 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
You might want to have a word with Simon Cocker about his PSS version and get some tips

Aerotowing the AN-225 (9 min 38 sec)
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
how about hotwiring my wing cores then sheeting the with balsa and give the top surface a coat of fibreglass
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:06 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
MrFlash,

Thats a great video, I believe that is the AN-225 that I have read about that is a glider, not powered. Guess thats why they would tow it so far.

Cheers.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce