HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:26 PM
Angelo Pappus
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2005
25 Posts
Slope Sites in Mendocino Coast area?

Does anyone know of good possible slope sites on the Mendocino coast, CA? Occasionally I go up there and would like to bring a plane next time.
shaunweb is offline Find More Posts by shaunweb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2005, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Sheesh- I just stepped in the door from there... where to begin?

First- the places I've had the best luck:
North of Ft Bragg, in the Pudding Creek are, near the old railroad trestle. This area works well despite small slopes. Wors in SW,W,NW conditions and I bet the other side of the trstle in E conditions.

Noyo harbor in the same directions.

The overlook south of Mendocino, but look out for the powelines.

The whole Mendocino shoreline west of town will work in the same set of conditions. I flew there on Friday and it was some of the most violent, rotor-ish air I've ever flown. it caused my Zipper to go into a nose-down tumble as it passed through the rotor. Ive never even seen anything like that before.

Use caution flying at most of these sites: many, if not most, have ZERO recovery options. One mistake means a lost plane. I've gotten a killer case of poison oak recovering my Sparrow from a cliff at a rental house called "Seal Rock" (www.mendocinocoastreservations.com) and I suffered for about two months.

I would chose something that flies well in light lift, such as a Zagi THL etc.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:28 PM
Angelo Pappus
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2005
25 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I found a small thermal spot last time I went up in the hills north of Westport. My folks have a house up there.
shaunweb is offline Find More Posts by shaunweb