HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2014, 03:13 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Feb 2006
125 Posts
Discussion
Gitsly telementry openLRSng branch has low signal

I am trying to run telemetry through my Orange OpenLRS setup. I was running the openLRSng firmware with good results. Then I flashed the gitsly version to get my mavlink telemetry working. Now I get packet loss beeps starting at 100ft or so. This is with a 1w TX and 100mw RX. Is the gitsly version greatly decresed in range over the standard openlrsng firmware? Or could I be having another issue?
JonnyJ is online now Find More Posts by JonnyJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
This seems strange but could be logical if youre running very high serial downlink packet size (setting accessible via CLI). The thing is that when size of packets going from RX to TX increases (default in my branch is to increase it from 9 bytes to 29) the chance of them getting screwed up along the transmission increases also. Also note that the beeps comes whenever a Rx sent packet fails to be received by the tx which would cause telemetry data to be lost but it does not affect the rc control.
Since the Rx only sends at a maximum of 100mW the telemetry will be lost first, then the RC link...
Try lowering the serial downlink size to 9 and you should in theory get identical results to the original openlrsng firmware (otherwise I screwed something up bad in the code). Another thing that would increase peeformance is to switch to some TX antenna that also performs good as an receiving antenna, same goes for your antenna on the Rx, it should also perform ok when transmitting... I've been successfully flying my own firmware for awhile...

/Br (gitsly)
LiPoSly is offline Find More Posts by LiPoSly