HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:42 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
Discussion
CG question ?

Got a 30% Pilot RC Edge. CG was pretty neutral. Tonight I changed the wheels. It had Sky lite 4" tires. Had metal hubs and tires were very hard so I swaped them out for some 4" foam tires. These have plastic hubs so the weight difference is not the same. The wheels sit about below the leading edge of the wing. Do you think this is a concern ? Or should I fly it as is and find out ? What to do. I appreciate any input.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,330 Posts
I don't fly anything that big, and wouldn't give making that change on one of mine a second thought. I'd fly it. If you and the plane are super tuned in together, you might notice the change, but it would certainly be controllable. My opinion, FWIW. -Al
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,242 Posts
IMHO on a plane of that size I would say the change would have next to no noticeable effect.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
IMHO on a plane of that size I would say the change would have next to no noticeable effect.
Yeah. I think your right. If anything it will favor 3D performance taking a small amount of weight from the nose.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
Yeah. I think your right. If anything it will favor 3D performance taking a small amount of weight from the nose.
Both of you are probably spot on.

If you think that you may have a CG issue then pull the canopy and mout the wings. Loop a small diameter rope or string around the wing tube on both sides of the fuse. Gently lift it up and see witch way it goes. I just ballanced my 40% Giles 202 that way. I was a little tail heavy and it was pretty interesting to land. Now I am just tad bit on the nose side and I am sure it will fly much better.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Apr 2005
109 Posts
No real difference, maybe one click of down needed. I like a slightly tail heavy plane, more sensitive to inputs and lands better. You'll be fine.
rica1 is offline Find More Posts by rica1
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,593 Posts
An old trick I learned years ago,still holds true today.Once you get the model balanced to your 'happy',put it in the shop and remove the wings and fuel.

Hang it now,and mark the balance point in this condition.Use a dedicated mark,so as not to confuse it with the other.

Now,if any changes are made to the fuse,you don't need to install the wings to recheck,in the shop.Just work on it ,rebalance to this C/G and it'll be correct with the wings installed.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud